Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Skins come to terms with Briggs « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
#15 : March 28, 2007, 04:03:47 PM

A friend of mine who has been listening for longer than me says the word is it is a swap of firsts, but the deal isn't official.

That said, all the radio folks are saying it's a formality, because the contract extension was what was holding the deal up. Fans appear to be split 50-50 on the deal up there apparently.

The site is http://www.wtem.com/pages/listenlive.php. It's not listed on the page - you have to listen to it.

It's Sports Radio 980 (WTEM)

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#16 : March 28, 2007, 04:05:42 PM

If the deadksins get away with only a swap of R1 picks then they stuck up the Bears as badly as the Jets did. Briggs has to be worth a R1 pick straight up.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

mgchat76

Pro Bowler
#17 : March 28, 2007, 04:07:21 PM

This isn't true, I'm watching NFL live on ESPN right now and Mort says that the Bears are not going to trade him now.  He says something may happen before the draft, but right now the Bears are not pleased with the way the Skins have handled this situation in the media.

magicfan39126

Pro Bowler

#18 : March 28, 2007, 04:07:40 PM

If the deadksins get away with only a swap of R1 picks then they stuck up the Bears as badly as the Jets did. Briggs has to be worth a R1 pick straight up.

Briggs is overrated. I could play WLB next to Urlacher and get 100 tackles a year.

CeriousBuc

Practice Squad

#19 : March 28, 2007, 04:08:24 PM

Skins are good for trading away future picks too. It's possible they swap this years pick and give up next years 1st rounder too.

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
#20 : March 28, 2007, 04:10:51 PM

I think it's definitely a good deal in terms of compensation (although it's really Briggs sticking the Bears up - he seems to have convinced Angelo he'll show up on week 10) - but I think it's a terrible move for the Skins because they just aren't Lance Briggs away from winning anything.

It also means the 2 twos and 6th they traded for McIntosh just got flushed down the toilet. 

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
#21 : March 28, 2007, 04:13:58 PM

This isn't true, I'm watching NFL live on ESPN right now and Mort says that the Bears are not going to trade him now.  He says something may happen before the draft, but right now the Bears are not pleased with the way the Skins have handled this situation in the media.

I didn't say this was done - read  the headline. I'm just saying that the major sports radio station in DC is reporting that the Skins have a deal with Briggs.

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

#22 : March 28, 2007, 04:16:39 PM

This isn't true, I'm watching NFL live on ESPN right now and Mort says that the Bears are not going to trade him now.  He says something may happen before the draft, but right now the Bears are not pleased with the way the Skins have handled this situation in the media.

Yeah they dont want to trade him, but they are still going to lose him, the Skins reportedly signed him to a contract (he is a FA you know). So they are probably going to give up what? a 1st and a 3rd?

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
#23 : March 28, 2007, 04:17:52 PM

The Sports Reporters (the show that starts at 4) says the holdup on the deal is the Bears, and basically the Bears are pissed about being held up.

This is such a Drew Rosenhaus type move.

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
#24 : March 28, 2007, 04:19:44 PM

For what it's worth, the Skins don't have a 3rd (they lost that for Brandon Lloyd I believe), and I think if the Bears don't come up with their own package, the price is 2 #1s.

whobdis

Pro Bowler

#25 : March 28, 2007, 04:20:53 PM

< the Skins reportedly signed him to a contract (he is a FA you know). So they are probably going to give up what? a 1st and a 3rd?>

He's franchised so I believe it's 2 first rounders..unless of course the tag is removed.

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

#26 : March 28, 2007, 04:23:14 PM

< the Skins reportedly signed him to a contract (he is a FA you know). So they are probably going to give up what? a 1st and a 3rd?>

He's franchised so I believe it's 2 first rounders..unless of course the tag is removed.

Alright. Im just curious though why is it two first round picks?

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
#27 : March 28, 2007, 04:24:56 PM

I think the two firsts is part of the new labor agreement. I think it used to be a first and a third.

One of the holdups apparently is that the Bears don't want to pay the cash it will take to sign the 6th pick. 

mgchat76

Pro Bowler
#28 : March 28, 2007, 04:28:18 PM

This isn't true, I'm watching NFL live on ESPN right now and Mort says that the Bears are not going to trade him now. He says something may happen before the draft, but right now the Bears are not pleased with the way the Skins have handled this situation in the media.

Yeah they dont want to trade him, but they are still going to lose him, the Skins reportedly signed him to a contract (he is a FA you know). So they are probably going to give up what? a 1st and a 3rd?

He's franchised so if the Bears don't match this "offer" they are entitled to two first round picks, unless they choose to take less. But if they're already going to lose him, they're going to get everything they can for him and not have to give up their 1st rounder.

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
#29 : March 28, 2007, 04:32:50 PM

This isn't true, I'm watching NFL live on ESPN right now and Mort says that the Bears are not going to trade him now. He says something may happen before the draft, but right now the Bears are not pleased with the way the Skins have handled this situation in the media.

He's franchised so if the Bears don't match this "offer" they are entitled to two first round picks, unless they choose to take less. But if they're already going to lose him, they're going to get everything they can for him and not have to give up their 1st rounder.

Yeah, that's true....but the problem for the Bears is that it appears that Briggs is prepared to sit out until week 10, report, and collect his $7 million. Plus, the last thing the Bears need is this distraction. My guess is that the swap will have to be more generous than just a swap of ones - perhaps a future pick - but they aren't going to get anything close to the franchise price.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Skins come to terms with Briggs « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools