Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Skins come to terms with Briggs « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

ryan24

Hall of Famer

#30 : March 28, 2007, 04:43:28 PM

This isn't true, I'm watching NFL live on ESPN right now and Mort says that the Bears are not going to trade him now.  He says something may happen before the draft, but right now the Bears are not pleased with the way the Skins have handled this situation in the media.

I didn't say this was done - read  the headline. I'm just saying that the major sports radio station in DC is reporting that the Skins have a deal with Briggs.

If they did reach a contract agreement with Briggs then it is done. The question is do the Bears match, elect to let him go for compensation (2 #1 picks) or work out a trade with the skins.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

Buc Wylde

Hall of Famer

#31 : March 28, 2007, 04:52:05 PM

IF this all goes through, Briggs is gonna get paid to flail on a crap team for a few years.
They are way more than Briggs away from contenders.

Quote from: Raheem Morris
We got to get better at doing something, and that is what we have to set our focus on and that is something to get better at. That\\\\\\\'s what we are trying to do right now.

dpc1192

Starter

#32 : March 28, 2007, 05:00:44 PM

If we hadn't signed June, I probably would've preferred Briggs to our 4th pick.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#33 : March 28, 2007, 05:04:56 PM

Yeah, that's true....but the problem for the Bears is that it appears that Briggs is prepared to sit out until week 10, report, and collect his $7 million.

$2.7 million, actually. And if he wants to do that, the Bears can either make him ineligeble for one of those six weeks, thwarting his plan to burn a year by being active for six games, or they will franchise him again in 2008.

simmstheanswer

Starter

#34 : March 28, 2007, 05:31:15 PM

This isn't true, I'm watching NFL live on ESPN right now and Mort says that the Bears are not going to trade him now.  He says something may happen before the draft, but right now the Bears are not pleased with the way the Skins have handled this situation in the media.

I didn't say this was done - read  the headline. I'm just saying that the major sports radio station in DC is reporting that the Skins have a deal with Briggs.

If they did reach a contract agreement with Briggs then it is done. The question is do the Bears match, elect to let him go for compensation (2 #1 picks) or work out a trade with the skins.

that's not how it works. before a team ever trades for a franchised player, or any player for that matter, usually, and especially in the case of a franchised player, the team that wants to trade for him comes to terms on contract details with the player, then works on compensation details with the team that owns his rights.

the skins have simply completed the easy part of the deal, working out a contract with briggs. now, they still have the harder part of this deal, agreeing on what will be swapped for him.

bait619

Starter

#35 : March 28, 2007, 05:40:23 PM

I think the two firsts is part of the new labor agreement. I think it used to be a first and a third.

One of the holdups apparently is that the Bears don't want to pay the cash it will take to sign the 6th pick.

i think you are thinking of a restricted free agent tender...i am pretty sure that franchise compensation has always been 2 1st rounders

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#36 : March 28, 2007, 06:49:14 PM

The asking price for a franchise player is two firsts.  Especially if you sign an offer sheet. A lower asking price can be negotiated.

In my opinion in terms of value of the potential trade of the Skins first for the Bears first and Briggs is not a bad deal (practically surrendering #15 overall in the first round for Briggs)....until you realize how much they surrendered for McIntosh.

But if it is true that the Redskins signed the offer sheet they are surrendering the #6 and first rounder next year.  Which is really bad.

redbeard10

Hall of Famer
#37 : March 28, 2007, 07:00:28 PM

That's only half the battle right? Have the Bears accepted the terms to do a sign and trade?

Im hearing now that the Skins have signed Briggs to a contract sheet and are going to give up compensation instead of trading for him.
You do realize giving up compensation is trading for him right?

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#38 : March 28, 2007, 07:03:12 PM

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/don_banks/03/28/owners.snaps/

That's probably not the latest but it has some good info. on the situation.

bklynbucs11

Starter

#39 : March 28, 2007, 09:16:17 PM

Does anyone understand why the Deadskins hate draft picks so much? Most team stockpile on draft picks. The Redskins are the only ones in hte NFL that trade them away willy-nilly. Not that I mind, I hate the Deadskins. But it seems hilarious to me.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#40 : March 28, 2007, 11:47:32 PM

I understand the reasoning behind trading away draft picks.  But with that said becuase of the salary cap era trading away draft picks is pratically gutting your team (in terms of talent and cost effectiveness).

While there is less risk for trading for proven players in their prime of their careers they are not cheap to sign and they have 4-5 years max playing at their top form.

A rookie has a lot more risk but is younger and has 6-8 years ahead of them playing at their top form.  Not to mention rookie contracts are cheaper in the long run.

ryan24

Hall of Famer

#41 : March 29, 2007, 12:13:53 AM

that's not how it works. before a team ever trades for a franchised player, or any player for that matter, usually, and especially in the case of a franchised player, the team that wants to trade for him comes to terms on contract details with the player, then works on compensation details with the team that owns his rights.

the skins have simply completed the easy part of the deal, working out a contract with briggs. now, they still have the harder part of this deal, agreeing on what will be swapped for him.

I've seen nothing on any agreement on NFL Network but for the purposes of answering this quote let's assume an agreement on a contract has been matched.

I think there are specific percentage amounts the contract needs to be to determine full rights but let's assume it's within those percentages. 1. The Bears can match the offer. 2. The Bears can work out a trade with the Redskins 3. The Bears can not work out a trade and collect the next two first round draft choices the Redskins own and it cannot be a draft pick the Redskins trade for.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
#42 : March 29, 2007, 07:51:01 AM

from pro football talk:

'SKINS WILLING TO PAY $20 MILLION GUARANTEED TO BRIGGS

The Chicago Sun-Times reports that, if the Bears and Redskins work out a deal for linebacker Lance Briggs, the 'Skins will pay the franchise-tagged free agent $20 million in guaranteed money as part of a deal that averages $7.5 million per year.

The Redskins have offered to swap first-round picks with the Bears for Briggs.  Chicago would get the No. 6 overall pick, and Washington would take the No. 31 selection.

Under the trade chart, the move results in a net gain of 1,000 points for the Bears, which is equivalent to the No. 16 overall pick.

Multiple league insiders expect the Bears to balk.  The No. 6 pick lands in the high-rent district, and the Bears might not be inclined to pay a rookie a ton of money.  If we were calling the shots in Chitown (and Bears fans everywhere should rejoice in the fact that we don't), we'd ask for the No. 6 pick straight up, and then we'd slap the two picks together in an effort to make a play for one of the few guys that Rex Grossman can't overthrow -- receiver Calvin Johnson.

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
#43 : March 29, 2007, 07:56:05 AM

and then there's today's Wash. Post, which softens the story - Gibbs calls the trade "not imminent," and here's Rosenhaus:

Rosenhaus apparently is attempting to get other teams interested in Briggs as well. Briggs would have a salary of $7.2 million next season if he remains in Chicago as the franchise player. He wants a long-term deal with around $20 million in guaranteed money instead. He almost certainly would get it from the Redskins, although Rosenhaus said Wednesday he doesn't have a contract agreement with the Redskins in place yet.

"We've just had a general conversation," Rosenhaus said. "I don't think we'd have any problem, though."

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#44 : March 29, 2007, 08:58:19 AM

While there is less risk for trading for proven players in their prime of their careers they are not cheap to sign and they have 4-5 years max playing at their top form.

A rookie has a lot more risk but is younger and has 6-8 years ahead of them playing at their top form.  Not to mention rookie contracts are cheaper in the long run.

Rookie contracts can be cheaper but at #6 it is still pretty costly. Plus, there is no "lifespan" on players anymore. After 4 years they can leave and with the changes to the franchise tag it is gonna be even harder to keep your top end players. A player like Briggs gives you 5 years which is all the "foreseeable" future is in this league so his lifespan with the team can be the same as any rookies without the associated risk.

I can understand the decision as much as it hurts.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Skins come to terms with Briggs « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools