Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Ricky Williams will apply for reinstatement in April........... « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

TOP SECRET

Practice Squad

#30 : May 06, 2007, 02:12:24 AM

I'm sorry, but if Ricky wanted to come here I would jump on the opportunity to sign him, even though he has been put of the League for a little bit, he is still worth the risk and could still be one of the better backs in the league. IMO I think he is a perfect 2nd back (change of pace back) bc he will never really be able to carry the load again by himself, but as a change of pace guy he might be able to regain some of his old form. And 60-70% of what Ricky was is still better than 1/2 the leagues backs.

big_JLB

Starter

#31 : May 07, 2007, 12:03:38 AM

He didn't have too much success in the Canadian Football League.

people dont know how different the CFL is. he didnt do well because 75% of the game is based on passing. the running game is starting to make its way back, but it will always be a much more wide-open, gunslinging league. the argonauts (the team williams signed with) got a star attraction, yes. but the success he has in the NFL didnt translate because he couldnt grasp the differences between the two leagues. he was asked to do things that werent his strong suits, mainly be a a reciever out of the backfield. he didnt have the success he did in the NFL because the league itself is based on different dimensions and game plans. it isnt unusual for teams to have 3 or 4 1000 yard recievers. thats just the way the CFL is. ricky williams' position wasnt one of need in the canadian league and thats why the statistical success didnt follow

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#32 : May 07, 2007, 07:15:16 AM

if we are taking a shot at stevens, why not ricky?

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#33 : May 07, 2007, 12:04:41 AM

^^^He broke his arm.  He smokes pot.  He is aged.  He was a minor failure inthe CFL, even when he was healthy.

He STINKS.

karen anderson

Practice Squad

#34 : May 07, 2007, 02:54:42 AM

What a crazy idea. No thanks. Pass.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#35 : May 07, 2007, 12:14:34 AM

you take this guy in a heartbeat.  he is old???  i dont hear anyone calling ladaininain old yet.  cleveland does sound like a good fit for him.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

big_JLB

Starter

#36 : May 07, 2007, 12:17:01 AM

boid, i'm not disagreeing with you. i wouldnt touch him either. but to judge him on his failures in the CFL isnt fair. i was actually at the game where he broke his arm (visiting family) and it was a case where he stuck his arm out to break his fall and it was just a matter of all his body weight pushing down on his forearm. now i am in no way questioning your knowledge, but you really have to understand the canadian game to realize why he laid an egg up there. i grew up in canada before i moved to tampa and his failure wasnt all that shocking to me. it truly wasnt an issue of skills (or lack thereof) it was just the simple fact that the game is alot different than many people realize

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#37 : May 07, 2007, 12:24:35 AM

Trust me BIG...I live a few minutes from the canuck border.  I actually get the CFL on CWTN? (sp).  Ottawa Roughriders, Argos, etc...CFL beats Arena League by a mile, and the RB actually serves a purpose.  And Ricky Williams wasn't going to tear it up given the nature, but given his lofty status, you would have thought he would bring it...he failed.  IN a pass heavy scheme, you would think he would rip off 8 or nine yard gains with all that skill...he did not.

I understand your point my man.  I think he should be expunged from the NFL for a myriad of reasons.  The top of the list being he sucks.

big_JLB

Starter

#38 : May 07, 2007, 12:29:48 AM

oh, quite true. i expected alot more from him than the garbage he produced. but the fact that he produced garbage doesnt surprise me. i also think one of the major reasons he did lay an egg was because the differences between the two leagues and not because of the talent level he has. stick him back in the NFL and i'm sure he'll produce halfway decent numbers...just as long as its not in tampa

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#39 : May 07, 2007, 12:35:34 AM

oh, quite true. i expected alot more from him than the garbage he produced. but the fact that he produced garbage doesnt surprise me. i also think one of the major reasons he did lay an egg was because the differences between the two leagues and not because of the talent level he has. stick him back in the NFL and i'm sure he'll produce halfway decent numbers...just as long as its not in tampa
Agreed Big.  Agreed.

rockowpb

Rookie

#40 : May 07, 2007, 02:53:02 PM

Living in Dolfan country. I would be glad if the Buc's could get Ricky at a reasonable price. He really played well in a backup role to Brown after he came back and by all reports, he has turned his life around. I am still interested as to what he failed the 3rd test for. It wasn't MJ like the other ones.

I would never want him to be my #1 RB again, because he is one failed test from gone forever. But I would love to have him as our #2. He would be the best #2 in the league. He has never been a problem on the field and if he has straightened out off it, he would be a real bargain.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Ricky Williams will apply for reinstatement in April........... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools