Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Tomlin said he won't stiffle assistants - wow, he's a little angry « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 7

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

« : March 29, 2007, 07:39:05 AM »

http://www.tbo.com/sports/bucs/MGBH9KZ3TZE.html

Ex-Buc Tomlin Says He Won't Stifle Assistants

PHOENIX - Mike Tomlin knew the question was coming and he was prepared.

Tampa Bay's former secondary coach is heading into his first season as an NFL head coach with the Steelers. His first priority was building a strong staff of assistants, knowing any position coach who excels instantly becomes a candidate for a coordinator job elsewhere.

"You know I'm not going to be a hypocrite," Tomlin said when asked about his views on allowing assistants under contract to leave for another organization. "If that opportunity presents itself, I'd be inclined to wish him well. What other industry is there where you perform at a high level, you get an opportunity for advancement and you don't advance? I have strong feelings about that. I'll put my money where my mouth is.

"Absolutely, I was denied in Tampa on more than one occasion, along with Rod Marinelli and Joe Barry, and we didn't appreciate it. People say that they care about you professionally and personally, but those actions don't match those words."

Was it the Buccaneer organization or the head coach?

"No comment," he said.

In his five seasons with the Bucs, Tomlin helped mold a powerful defensive unit under the tutelage of Monte Kiffin. When his contract expired, Tomlin moved on to Minnesota in 2006 as a defensive coordinator before Pittsburgh owner Dan Rooney named him to succeed Bill Cowher two months ago.

I'm not really sure how coaches can be upset. YOu sign a contract, you live out that contract. It's pretty simple and you know going in, sorry Mike I'm not with you on this. It certainly worked out for you didn't it?

Rusty

Hall of Famer
« #1 : March 29, 2007, 07:40:38 AM »

Agreed, he'll be sorry he said those words.

\'Every day above ground is a good day\'

Boriqua

Starter
« #2 : March 29, 2007, 07:44:44 AM »

I understand his view about wanting to move on, but give me a break, first, I can't fault Bruce for looking out for HIS team, second, the Bucs are not the only team to have ever denied coaches to have interviews and third, didn't his contract run out the year before he left and he ended up resigning because he wasn't offered a DC position? I like Mike, but come on, sour grapes? Not what I expected from him. Wish him well though.

T

Hall of Famer

« #3 : March 29, 2007, 08:30:24 AM »

He better succeed in Pitt because, he may have burned some bridges around the league with comments like that. You sign a contract player or coach so honor it!

redbeard10

Hall of Famer
« #4 : March 29, 2007, 08:34:05 AM »

We saw last year what a difference position coaches can make. It's not like he's the only guy to ever get blocked, heck Gruden was blocked by Holmgren when he was in GB. It happens...move on Mike.

MiltonMack21

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer

« #5 : March 29, 2007, 08:34:57 AM »

In every other organization, in every other sport coaches sign a contract to be DB coach... 1 year later, someone approaches say the Titans and says "Hey can we have this guy come in for an interview for our DC? The titans always say "sure". I believe if you are taking a step up then the team should let you at least take a shot at it. Lateral moves are a different story. I have a feeling if this was about any other staff than the present one the other posts in this thread would be vastly different.

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

« #6 : March 29, 2007, 08:38:24 AM »

I have a feeling if this was about any other staff than the present one the other posts in this thread would be vastly different.

you're wrong. I can understand why a team wouldn't let assistants go at will. WHo cares about what the Titans do, you sign a contract you honor it, plain and simple. Mike wasn't pissed when he signed the contract with the Bucs was he? I didn't think so.

karen anderson

Practice Squad

« #7 : March 29, 2007, 08:40:53 AM »

What is up with you people? It is understood in most places you can leave to move up.  Truthfully I'm not suprised---at the FO's actions or in your reactions.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

« #8 : March 29, 2007, 08:45:03 AM »

In every other organization, in every other sport coaches sign a contract to be DB coach... 1 year later, someone approaches say the Titans and says "Hey can we have this guy come in for an interview for our DC? The titans always say "sure". I believe if you are taking a step up then the team should let you at least take a shot at it. Lateral moves are a different story. I have a feeling if this was about any other staff than the present one the other posts in this thread would be vastly different.

Yeah but Marty lost his job becuase so much of his staff was gutted.  I think there is enough coaching movement as it is.  Anymore than that and it would water down the league significantly in my opinion.

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

« #9 : March 29, 2007, 08:45:19 AM »

What is up with you people? It is understood in most places you can leave to move up.  Truthfully I'm not suprised---at the FO's actions or in your reactions.

understood? I'm glad the FO puts the team first and not an assistant. Last year shows you how continuity at the assistant coach level is vastly underrated. Again, it worked out for Rod, Mike, and Barry didn't it?

MiltonMack21

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer

« #10 : March 29, 2007, 08:46:36 AM »

I have a feeling if this was about any other staff than the present one the other posts in this thread would be vastly different.

you're wrong. I can understand why a team wouldn't let assistants go at will. WHo cares about what the Titans do, you sign a contract you honor it, plain and simple. Mike wasn't pissed when he signed the contract with the Bucs was he? I didn't think so.
I was using the Titans as an example... I guess if we are talking contracts.. you sign the player.. honor it. However moves up are generally excluded from this sort of stuff.

karen anderson

Practice Squad

« #11 : March 29, 2007, 08:48:17 AM »

You think it's good to have disgruntled staff?

benir0

Hall of Famer
« #12 : March 29, 2007, 08:49:28 AM »

What is up with you people? It is understood in most places you can leave to move up.  Truthfully I'm not suprised---at the FO's actions or in your reactions.

Is it really?  Your assertion that it is "understood" that you can leave to move up when you've signed a contract is just plain false.  I'd love to hear about other examples of non-binding contracts, if you can think of any.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

« #13 : March 29, 2007, 08:50:09 AM »

You think it's good to have disgruntled staff?

Better than having a gutted staff (eg Marty and the Chargers) and having to pick up the pieces all over again!

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

« #14 : March 29, 2007, 08:55:38 AM »

I was using the Titans as an example... I guess if we are talking contracts.. you sign the player.. honor it. However moves up are generally excluded from this sort of stuff.

I'd rather have the FO take it on a case by case basis but to rarely let an assitant leave. When you come to the Bucs you better be ready to live out the contract or go sign somewhere else, you set the expectation from jump.
  Page: 1 2 3 ... 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Tomlin said he won't stiffle assistants - wow, he's a little angry « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools