Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Tomlin said he won't stiffle assistants - wow, he's a little angry « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 7

klb55

Starter

#15 : March 29, 2007, 09:12:46 AM

http://www.tbo.com/sports/bucs/MGBH9KZ3TZE.html

Ex-Buc Tomlin Says He Won't Stifle Assistants

PHOENIX - Mike Tomlin knew the question was coming and he was prepared.

Tampa Bay's former secondary coach is heading into his first season as an NFL head coach with the Steelers. His first priority was building a strong staff of assistants, knowing any position coach who excels instantly becomes a candidate for a coordinator job elsewhere.

"You know I'm not going to be a hypocrite," Tomlin said when asked about his views on allowing assistants under contract to leave for another organization. "If that opportunity presents itself, I'd be inclined to wish him well. What other industry is there where you perform at a high level, you get an opportunity for advancement and you don't advance? I have strong feelings about that. I'll put my money where my mouth is.

"Absolutely, I was denied in Tampa on more than one occasion, along with Rod Marinelli and Joe Barry, and we didn't appreciate it. People say that they care about you professionally and personally, but those actions don't match those words."

Was it the Buccaneer organization or the head coach?

"No comment," he said.

In his five seasons with the Bucs, Tomlin helped mold a powerful defensive unit under the tutelage of Monte Kiffin. When his contract expired, Tomlin moved on to Minnesota in 2006 as a defensive coordinator before Pittsburgh owner Dan Rooney named him to succeed Bill Cowher two months ago.

I'm not really sure how coaches can be upset. YOu sign a contract, you live out that contract. It's pretty simple and you know going in, sorry Mike I'm not with you on this. It certainly worked out for you didn't it?

Considering the mass exodus of coaches as a Buc fan I'm annoyed by these comments.  I guess Mike thinks that an organization should just allow every coach in the same year leave because of a better opportunity thus leaving the team screwed.  Obviously, he wanted the security of a multi year contract but not responsibility to abide by that contract.  I'm sure Rod and Joe are happy about Mike inserting them into his classless, selfish complaining.  I guess in 06 becoming the youngest defensive coordinator just wasn't fast enough for King Mike.  Obviously, the world owes King Mike and it is incredible he could overcome such oppression.  What a piece of trash.  I hope he fails in a big way.  BTW Mike, as I've mentioned in other threads, the NFL is not the only industry with contracts.  In some industries, non compete contracts are signed preventing an individual from working for another company even after the present employment is complete.  Maybe he should now what he is talking about before he opens his ignorant mouth.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#16 : March 29, 2007, 09:20:46 AM

I like Tomlin as a coach and as a person, and I understand his frustration. However, a contract is a contract and the FO has to take care of the team first. I know he feels this way at this point, but now that he's a HC and he finds himself on the other side of that situation (where he's facing the loss of one of his most valuable assistants) he'll better understand the team's POV. He may let that person go, but he'll understand...

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#17 : March 29, 2007, 09:25:31 AM

If a coach outperforms their contract, I believe they should be promoted.  If there is no room on the current staff to promote him, then I see no problem with being promoted to another staff.  The original team should be rewarded a draft pick, however.

redbeard10

Hall of Famer
#18 : March 29, 2007, 09:25:51 AM

You think it's good to have disgruntled staff?
Worked pretty well in 2002 and 2005.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#19 : March 29, 2007, 09:27:15 AM

Again, it takes a sorry human being to deny a chance to move up in the world. Anyone who has so little moral core that he think his "duty to a football team" matters more then doing the right thing is deeply flawed. Allen is just that sort of guy though.

Everyone here who thinks what happened to Tomlin, Marinelli and other is cool imagine if some other company wanted to give you a high end position but your boss wouldn't let you leave his department. You'd be smokin' pissed but as usual as long as someone not named you gets screwed why do you care?

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

karen anderson

Practice Squad

#20 : March 29, 2007, 09:31:10 AM

Why were they disgruntled in 2002 & 2005?

CeriousBuc

Practice Squad

#21 : March 29, 2007, 09:31:43 AM

Again, it takes a sorry human being to deny a chance to move up in the world. Anyone who has so little moral core that he think his "duty to a football team" matters more then doing the right thing is deeply flawed. Allen is just that sort of guy though.

Everyone here who thinks what happened to Tomlin, Marinelli and other is cool imagine if some other company wanted to give you a high end position but your boss wouldn't let you leave his department. You'd be smokin' pissed but as usual as long as someone not named you gets screwed why do you care?

Using that same line of logic, why should not players be able to bolt in the middle of their contract? Especially young players who might have a chance to start on another team. Isn't that a 'promotion' in a sense?

redbeard10

Hall of Famer
#22 : March 29, 2007, 09:33:20 AM

Why were they disgruntled in 2002 & 2005?
Rod specifically was blocked on many occasions to interview for other spots, including before the 2005 season.

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#23 : March 29, 2007, 09:39:12 AM

Look why do we have to twist this or any story coming from those blasphemoous fish wraps and make BA or the organization look bad?  You guys take any opportunity to turn something into a negative.  If you had an opportunity elsewhere in your company or course your boss will give you a shot at it because it's non-competitive or not as competitive as vying for 1 or 32 positions in a national work place.  There's more than 32 CFO, CEO's, or any other high profile position in this county, state, and country.  So please stop belittling the organization for keeping a guy who was under contract for the length of the contract...if he was a player and said that you'd all be all over him for wanting to make more money and calling him greedy.  Let's also keep the apples with the apples and separate your puny little salaries and job status's where they belong, outside of the NFL heirarchy.  There's no comparrison there.  I think both sides did what they needed to do.  The only thing that those guys got in lieu of those opportunities was more experience with arguably the best DC in the game.  I think it's a fair trade.  Plus they are all on track to have thier own teams as well...doesn't suck to be them right now does it?

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#24 : March 29, 2007, 09:40:09 AM

Everyone here who thinks what happened to Tomlin, Marinelli and other is cool

I think that both of them getting head coaching jobs is, indeed, cool. Now regarding their positions with the Buccaneers: a contract is a contract. If you like the security of signing a multi-year deal, then you also have to deal with the concept that the team might actually HOLD you to the contract you signed. Crazy as that is.

If you want the chance to move every year, then only sign a one-year deal OR have your rep negotiate an escape clause into your contract.

CeriousBuc

Practice Squad

#25 : March 29, 2007, 09:42:43 AM

Another question using Dal's logic, why shouldn't a head coach be able to leave his current team to become the Head coach and GM of another team without any type of compensation? It's a tough call all around. Players and coaches are both integral to having a successful organization.

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#26 : March 29, 2007, 09:48:54 AM

well said Chev.

#27 : March 29, 2007, 09:49:49 AM

Using that same line of logic, why should not players be able to bolt in the middle of their contract? Especially young players who might have a chance to start on another team. Isn't that a 'promotion' in a sense?

Exactly. Players who get a better offer from another team should be allowed to leave and not have to honor their contracts. After all, we don't want to deny them their chance to "move up in the world."

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#28 : March 29, 2007, 09:51:45 AM

The only thing that those guys got in lieu of those opportunities was more experience with arguably the best DC in the game.  I think it's a fair trade. 

They don't seem to think so and since people were offering them new jobs they didn't need more training.

Plus, can we stop pretending like there is any sanctity to NFL contracts? The team could can any of those guys they want at anytime, contract or not so why should that honor go only one way?

Again, if it happened to you how do you feel? Simple question.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#29 : March 29, 2007, 09:53:01 AM

Again, if it happened to you how do you feel? Simple question.

Irrelevant.
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Tomlin said he won't stiffle assistants - wow, he's a little angry « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools