Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Tomlin said he won't stiffle assistants - wow, he's a little angry « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 5 6 7

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#90 : March 30, 2007, 07:51:50 AM

It is simply unfair for guys to be denied opportunities like this. Basically, Tomlin, Marinelli, and Barry were denied opportunities to advance because they performed at a high level here. They were good at their job. In any other arena you would move up in the world if that was the case. In the NFL, not so.

Now, from a business standpoint I can understand why Allen did what he did. You don't want these guys all leaving in the same year, and you don't want the best guys to slip away from you. It is, after all, his job to do what is best for the team personal feelings aside. If I were Bruce Allen I would have a hard time doing things like this, but now that the precedent is set I don't think there can be any hard feelings like this again. He has made his choice and he must stick with this policy. Those guys were the first guys to get whacked like this so it was sort of a surprise. Now, there can be no excuses. You know when you sign a contract with the Bucs you are here until they no longer want you here or that contract runs out.

It is a real jerk move to do this, and I can understand why Tomlin is pissed. I don't understand anybody who can't see why he's pissed.
Very well put!
  And wrong.  Clearly the coach(s) have the right to be disappointed or even upset, but not with the organization.  The coaches negociated the terms and agreed by signing.  They were either represented or not - which was their choice.  It is a contract, both sides give and both sides get based on the terms.  These are not kids signing up for their first credit card, and it is not their first coaching job for crying out loud.

I can't understand an adult signing a business (or sales or purchase) contract and expecting terms to be waived at one side option.  It is not and should not be done in the world we live in, or in the almost foreign world of player and coaches contracts.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#91 : March 30, 2007, 12:31:31 AM

Tomlin needs to understand that while he is out for himself (much like Briggs situation), that the Bucs are looking after themselves as well.

I can see why he would be bitter, but it is a path he took to make him what he is.  Someday when he settles down, he will probably understand that.  Right now, he is just talking out his butt, and that is fine.  The man is a great coach.

gone

Hall of Famer
#92 : March 29, 2007, 11:53:29 PM

It is simply unfair for guys to be denied opportunities like this. Basically, Tomlin, Marinelli, and Barry were denied opportunities to advance because they performed at a high level here. They were good at their job. In any other arena you would move up in the world if that was the case. In the NFL, not so.

Now, from a business standpoint I can understand why Allen did what he did. You don't want these guys all leaving in the same year, and you don't want the best guys to slip away from you. It is, after all, his job to do what is best for the team personal feelings aside. If I were Bruce Allen I would have a hard time doing things like this, but now that the precedent is set I don't think there can be any hard feelings like this again. He has made his choice and he must stick with this policy. Those guys were the first guys to get whacked like this so it was sort of a surprise. Now, there can be no excuses. You know when you sign a contract with the Bucs you are here until they no longer want you here or that contract runs out.

It is a real jerk move to do this, and I can understand why Tomlin is pissed. I don't understand anybody who can't see why he's pissed.

That statement I bolded was just about the most ignorant thing I've ever read here.  I can't believe you actually think that that's how the world works.  I'm literally stunned by that.

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#93 : March 30, 2007, 12:01:07 AM

The answer is because Mike Tomlin is an uniformed, ignorant, selfish, classless, and gutless individual who decided to run his mouth in an attempt harm the Buccaneer organization.

Yep.   Even with all the insults people throw at Gruden, the guy is a class act.   I've never heard him bad mouth any former organization he's ever been with in any way.    Thank God we have a professional and mature coach.    It makes me proud to be a Buc fan.

karen anderson

Practice Squad

#94 : March 30, 2007, 12:05:58 AM

Very well put!

gone

Hall of Famer
#95 : March 30, 2007, 12:10:29 AM

Very well put!

Yes, a very articulate whine...

Boriqua

Starter
#96 : March 30, 2007, 12:12:01 AM

Some of us do understand why he may be upset, bothered, whatever... I've been kept from moving on in my career, so I get it. However, as it has been stated many times here, the Bucs are not the only team to do this, as a matter of fact, if I remember correctly, the Bucs were blocked by a few teams last year when they were looking for the Dline and DB coaches. Also, as already stated, his own team just did it, so why put yourself out there when, many teams do it, you had a chance to leave and  you came back and your own team is "guilty" of this behavior he apparently dislikes. That is what I don't get.

ryan24

Hall of Famer
#97 : March 30, 2007, 12:17:52 AM

Very well put!

It's so jerky that most of the other NFL teams will deny permission, possibly not across the board, but certainly in a lot of cases.  Singling out the Bucs and speaking for the two Detroit coaches was foolish and his comments about him not standing in the way of his coaches way when they wish to leave will come back to haunt him should he be successful enough to have desired assistants.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

klb55

Starter

#98 : March 29, 2007, 11:12:40 PM

I'm just shocked that you guys just take the side of these worthless hacks...Tomlin has never been anything but complementary towards this team.  I don't blame him for being miffed with the fact they didn't let him interview.  He didn't know he was going to be in demand and the Bucs couldn't let him go.  Given his opportunity He DID sign a one year deal, honed his skills, and left...

Look at the reality of the situation people then consider the source and then consider the context (which we don't know) of how the questions were asked and answered...Sorry but I wouldn't give these bozos the benefit of the doubt if they were up for saint-hood...they flat out suck and for anyone to even take anything written by them and make a judgement on it is misinformed at the very least.  We've proven time and again they have no clue and use their bully pulpits to only create havoc and subversion...

Do you think they misquoted Tomlin?  The quotes speak for themselves.  Give me an example of a context in which he comments are anything but disrepectful towards Joe and Rod.  He doesn't even have the guts to name names, as if he is above it.  What a joke.  I don't think Joe and Rod need Mike Tomlin speaking for them.  He should have signed a series of one year contracts if he wanted to be able to leave.  I know you said he didn't know he would be in demand.  Well, who's fault is that.  Unless they misquoted him, he has proven himself to be a real jerk and I hope he fails miserably.

klb55

Starter

#99 : March 29, 2007, 11:27:41 PM

It's unfair to expect an employee to abide by the contract between the team and the employee.  That's an interesting definition of unfair.  Many of you are obviously unaware that employment contract exists outside sports.  No, it is not true that in any other industry he would be able to move up.  You are wrong.  People understand why he is pissed.   People understand he is pissed because he didn't want to finish the contract he signed.  He wanted the security of a multi year deal but wanted to terminate the contract if he could make more money or get a promotion regardless of the consequences to the employer.  Unbelievable

klb55

Starter

#100 : March 29, 2007, 11:38:41 PM

Just remember he was the one who left for the miami DC job interview and did not get hired and came back. He should be thankful he was not out of football for a year. He signed the contract and coaching contracts are guaranteed. I like how some of you act like Allen set the precedent. Dallas has blocked interviews for years.

My question is why would he come out with this when it is not his decision to make and the Pittsburgh front office already made it clear this year they do the same thing when they blocked Whisenhut and AZ from interviewing their asst coaches.

"....Whisenhunt asked for the Steelers' permission to interview three current staff members. The Steelers denied the request to talk to receivers coach Bruce Arians and linebackers coach Keith Butler...."

The answer is because Mike Tomlin is an uniformed, ignorant, selfish, classless, and gutless individual who decided to run his mouth in an attempt harm the Buccaneer organization.   

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#101 : March 30, 2007, 09:18:28 AM

Just remember he was the one who left for the miami DC job interview and did not get hired and came back. He should be thankful he was not out of football for a year. He signed the contract and coaching contracts are guaranteed. I like how some of you act like Allen set the precedent. Dallas has blocked interviews for years.

My question is why would he come out with this when it is not his decision to make and the Pittsburgh front office already made it clear this year they do the same thing when they blocked Whisenhut and AZ from interviewing their asst coaches.

"....Whisenhunt asked for the Steelers' permission to interview three current staff members. The Steelers denied the request to talk to receivers coach Bruce Arians and linebackers coach Keith Butler...."

Very good points. When he went to interview for the Miami job and missed it, he could have come back and the Bucs could have told him: "Oh, sorry. We figured you were leaving and we weren't standing in your way, so we've already hired a new assistant."

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#102 : March 30, 2007, 09:04:20 AM

those were some pretty weak quotes to have 3 pages of arguments.  all the guy said was he thought the organization cared more about the organization rather than the employees.  the whole article is really no big deal in my opinion.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

rockowpb

Rookie

#103 : March 30, 2007, 10:56:08 AM

Gimme a break. I've never, ever signed a contract that I didn't honor. If I didn't like the deal, I didn't sign it. Period. People need to start having stronger principles rather than whining about how they're being treated unfairly because someone actually holds them to their word.

You probably never signed a contract the other side didn't have to honor either. Again, NFL contracts <> real world contracts.

Not true with coaches contracts. Coaches that get fired still get the remainder of their contracts honored.
Page: 1 ... 5 6 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Tomlin said he won't stiffle assistants - wow, he's a little angry « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools