Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Glazers-Allen « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 6

blitz

Pro Bowler
: March 31, 2007, 11:18:53 PM

Vent alert---Joel Glazer turned over his cards telling all the naysayers to stifle it and let this team get on with rebuilding.  It's not coaching or GM decisions that have been the problem, it's the cap and the lack of draft picks.   I'm obviously venting but all those who were certain Gruden was as good as gone and that Allen was just behind need to hear from those that understand the time it takes to overcome the obstacles this organization has faced since winning the big one.   

It's become clear that the Glazers hold themselves responsible for the fall off and the whole rebuilding process the Bucs have been in for the last four years. In fact,  you could argue they gambled and won giving up a host of draft picks for Gruden.  Had the Bucs not won the division, the NFC, nor the Superbowl, where would the team be in 2007?   Very likely in much the same place, and possibly minus the 2005 division title.   The move to get Gruden could have very easily failed to bring a SB and in fact would have launched a major rebuilding of the team without a SB, much less a division championship.   

Regarding Allen's tenure in the front office, while you can criticize him for the attempt to leaverage the Oakland connections the first year you can't ignore the results so far this year with cap dollars to spend.  Who else in the league could sign Simms, negotiate with the Broncs for the rights to Plummer,  bring in Garcia, sign two former first round FA all the while managing the cap that allows the Bucs to to sign at 3 first day draft picks. 
An injured starter with no experienced backup to take over is what 4-12 is all about.   

My guess is 2007 will make believers out a whole bunch of the doubtful but faithful.

Mex-Buc

Rookie

#1 : April 01, 2007, 01:40:21 AM

Nice read man !!!

karen anderson

Practice Squad

#2 : April 01, 2007, 01:42:02 AM

I find it very strange that different people have very different interpretations of this story.

MVP

Pro Bowler

#3 : April 01, 2007, 01:57:39 AM

I find it very strange that different people have very different interpretations of this story.

It's all about perception vs. reality.

People will read what they want out of the story instead of taking it at face value.
Some believe it is a notice to Allen and Gruden that another "medicore" season will not be tolerated, while others feel it is the Glazers explaining the situation of the Franchise and the difficulties from which it has had to extricate itself from i.e. the lack of Draft Picks, Cap Space.

Another problem is that the local newspaper journalists do not hold to the value of removing their personal agendas and biases from their writing. They want Gruden gone and are trying to influence the opinion of the common Buc fan. If you need proth look at how they phrased the title of the story from the interview. "Mediocricy will not be tolerated", like its some kind of warning. Too me this is the greates sin a sport journalist can commit and I despise it. That is why I subscribed to pewter report. Not only are they better but they don't have agendas behind the scenes.

karen anderson

Practice Squad

#4 : April 01, 2007, 02:02:58 AM

JUst why do you think all local media have this 'agenda'?

#5 : April 01, 2007, 02:04:08 AM

He's right, most of the media does have a bias or natural agenda. Actually I could share a number of pretty funny emails from Tampa sports writers but I'll pass for now, they haven't written anything lately that has pissed me off.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#6 : April 01, 2007, 02:04:31 AM

It all comes down to sales.

Simple economics really.

#7 : April 01, 2007, 02:06:02 AM

It all comes down to sales.

Simple economics really.
Yep in most cases that's the driving point, but there are some personal vendettas out there of course. It's pretty easy to tell the difference since the latter will never acknowledge a good move.

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#8 : April 01, 2007, 02:09:09 AM

Yep in most cases that's the driving point, but there are some personal vendettas out there of course. It's pretty easy to tell the difference since the latter will never acknowledge a good move.

So true.   I don't even live in the country, and I can see that some of those guys have vendettas against Gruden.    I've never understood why the media gets like that.   But it's happened many times in the past as well.

karen anderson

Practice Squad

#9 : April 01, 2007, 02:15:13 AM

Nothing to do with sales, people buy the paper anyway. None of you have explained why you think all media members have an agenda towards the Bucs. This is why I don;t buy it. There's no logical reason or explanation for them all to have it out for the Bucs HC & GM. It's very easy to blame the 'agenda' when you don't like what they say. Most especially if it's too close to the mark.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#10 : April 01, 2007, 02:18:05 AM

Nothing to do with sales, people buy the paper anyway. None of you have explained why you think all media members have an agenda towards the Bucs. This is why I don;t buy it. There's no logical reason or explanation for them all to have it out for the Bucs HC & GM. It's very easy to blame the 'agenda' when you don't like what they say. Most especially if it's too close to the mark.

A lot of people I know buy the paper for the Sports section, maybe read a few local things in passing, classifieds.  But a lot of people buy just for sports, believe that!!

karen anderson

Practice Squad

#11 : April 01, 2007, 02:19:12 AM

Well, that didn't answer the main question.

MVP

Pro Bowler

#12 : April 01, 2007, 02:27:45 AM

So true. I don't even live in the country, and I can see that some of those guys have vendettas against Gruden. I've never understood why the media gets like that. But it's happened many times in the past as well.

If you think of all the media who were tight with Mckay you start to understand. Mckay had aspirations of being commisioner for awhile and then he left for Atlanta. It is not uncommon for some writers to hitch themselves to a certain individual. Pat Kirwin is very close to Pete Carroll who may be a candidate for a head coaching job next year. Len Paquerrelli of Espn often hypes clients of agents who give him scoops. Mckay had a good thing going with the extremanly afable Dungy. When a young upstart with a huge ego comes in and upsets the whole balance of power resentment is bound to grow. Gruden also is known to have superiority complex from what I've read and often pulls rank on scouts and other personnel. He might have the same attitude with the media.
Add it all up and you have a good pressure cooker brewing. The newspapers have been attacking at any chance. They are not stupid either. Like Scott and Jim any reporter worth his pay would know that not all the problems the post Dungy Buccaneers were not all caused by Allen and Gruden. The fall of our empire started many years back. But according to them everything is on Allen and Gruden as if the have been hell bent on demolishing the Buccaneers from the day they got here when in truth the foundation had been crumbling long before that.

BUCFAN4LIFE

Pro Bowler

#13 : April 01, 2007, 02:56:58 AM

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6602294

Read that story which is pretty unbiased and actually shares news, then read the local fishwraps-- try a Stroud article and pay attention to the difference in the tone of the article and the info provided and the sources-- If u can't figure out the difference and the obvious agenda, there is nothing that can answer your question-- you just simply don't get it.

karen anderson

Practice Squad

#14 : April 01, 2007, 03:53:59 AM

He cringes when he hears Gruden's on the hot seat? He's supposed to be a reporter....why the hell does he care if Gruden's on the hot seat?  That story sounds like a plant if I ever heard one.
Page: 1 2 3 ... 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Glazers-Allen « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools