Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Glazers-Allen « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 6

BUCFAN4LIFE

Pro Bowler

#15 : April 01, 2007, 04:11:57 AM

The story is unbiased though-- he cringes because as most know in football Gruden may be on a hot seat but he is a damn good HC and would have a job anywhere if he gets dismissed from this one. He cringes because the grass isn't always greener on the other side. And HC's that win SB's and have taken teams -- 2 diffferent ones now to to multiple division titles, have winning playoff records, and SB wins are not easy to find. And it usually means they are pretty damn good. How those things escape you at times are beyond me. Now compare the story to a Stroud piece and it is nothing but negative crap-- this guy presents the neg and pos in the story and presents a balanced report. Something the local wraps seem to miss big on.

karen anderson

Practice Squad

#16 : April 01, 2007, 04:26:35 AM

So he is a great & wonderful coach & none of the teams woes are his or Allen's responsibility?  In spite of being here 5 yrs. Any expiration date on the free pass at all?

watson

Hall of Famer
#17 : April 01, 2007, 06:41:52 AM

BF4L,
You are wasting your time.

Truths:
1.  Never have an argument with an idiot.  They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with their experience.
2.  For some it would be better if they remained silent and be thought a fool than to speak and erase all doubt.

BucLord

Starter

#18 : April 01, 2007, 08:16:21 AM

There's no logical reason or explanation for them all to have it out for the Bucs HC & GM.

You cant convince a couple of meatballs here. Some go on and complain about the schedule as if the NFL is "Giving the Bucs the business"

When in fact the schedule is made out many years prior to the season opener. Some here believe the schedule is made up in some NFL office with a bunch of Buc haters.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marcia, Marcia, Marcia

It's always about Marcia

DBrooksIsMyDaddy

Pro Bowler

#19 : April 01, 2007, 08:18:25 AM

JUst why do you think all local media have this 'agenda'?
It all comes down to sales.

Simple economics really.

Exactly!  Karen, no one is buying advertising in the sports' section when the Bucs are 4-11.  Fewer papers are sold.  What are the columnists going to write about when we suck that badly?  "Working on Tackling Fundamentals, Kiffen says"  or "Rookie QB Improving"?  Boring, boring, boring.  Fans are ticked off, we're losing!  To vent some rage and let the fans vent, you have to have an enemy.  Quarterback is the usual target, but we had our starter out and a rookie in.  So let's attack the coach!  Gets people fired up and it's something to write your column about. 

That's the agenda.

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

#20 : April 01, 2007, 09:04:08 AM

Nothing to do with sales, people buy the paper anyway. None of you have explained why you think all media members have an agenda towards the Bucs. This is why I don;t buy it. There's no logical reason or explanation for them all to have it out for the Bucs HC & GM. It's very easy to blame the 'agenda' when you don't like what they say. Most especially if it's too close to the mark.

Because they do not like Jon Gruden. It is that simple. They don't like him because they think he took apart "Tony Dungy's team." They don't like him because he doesn't give Alstott the ball 15-20 times a game. They don't like him because they think he has an ego. And they represent a minority of bucs fans that don't have a clue about football. So they create controversy to get attention and kick up ratings. A bucs fan called into a radio show the other day and claimed that Gruden was a bad coach because he hasn't drafted a single pro-bowler. Well, it is kind of hard to do that when the ownership gave 4 1st day picks to Darth Al out in Oakland.

Gruden has not had a chance to fully install his system here. He has never had the QB that fits his system. Remember that Chris Simms was Rich McKay's pick by the way. The team was missing 4 critical draft picks that Joel said hurt the team. And the team has also been cap-strapped. The bleeding could have been much worse. If Brooks didn't restructure the few times that he did, he would have been cut simply because we had to get under the salary cap. As for Alstott, he's gotten up in age. He's had neck and back problems for the past 5 years. You give him the ball 15 times a game like the fans are demanding and he'll be in retirement by week 8. This isn't 1999. Alstott also just simply does not fit Gruden's offensive strategy and philosophy other than in goal-line or short-yardage situations. He fit Dungy's plan perfectly. Dungy's philosophy here was to pound the ball and play good defense. But fans need to remember that Dungy is not the coach here anymore.

I think also people are forgetting that the league has ripped our coaching staff apart. All Kiffin's assistants on defense are in or heading in the direction of head coaching jobs. This obviously had a devestating effect.

This is what happends to Super Bowl teams. Salary cap becomes an issue. And everyone wants your coaches.

The Glazers did not give Gruden an ultimatum. They didn't give the phony vote of confidence. They simply said that the team needs to now start to show improvement. I dont really see how that can be interpreted differently. The Glazers gave up a lot to bring Gruden here (including 7 million dollars out of their own wallet). They are not willing to give up on him just yet.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#21 : April 01, 2007, 09:29:11 AM

So he is a great & wonderful coach & none of the teams woes are his or Allen's responsibility?  In spite of being here 5 yrs. Any expiration date on the free pass at all?
The problem with the local media is they get on Gruden for the wrong reasons. They say the problem is not getting Alstott the ball enough or cutting Lynch or he destroyed Dungy's team when they should be ripping him for some horrific 1st day draft picks like Marquis Cooper and Chris Colmer and a bunch of average at best picks (Clayton, Ruud, Joseph, Cadillac) with much more productive players still on the board (Marcus McNeil, Jamaal Brown, Stephen Jackson, DeMarcus Ware, Lofa Tatupu). If the local hacks demonstrated a little bit of research (calling Alan Branch a defensive end is not a good start) and didn't write a bunch of propaganda to get the masses fired up, maybe they'd have more credibility.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

BucLord

Starter

#22 : April 01, 2007, 09:33:20 AM

A bucs fan called into a radio show the other day and claimed that Gruden was a bad coach because he hasn't drafted a single pro-bowler. Well, it is kind of hard to do that when the ownership gave 4 1st day picks to Darth Al out in Oakland.

He's had 46 picks in the draft as the Bucs coach, only 11 are currently on this team

Gruden has not had a chance to fully install his system here.

Huh? He's had 5 years. How much time does a coach need, 10 years?

He has never had the QB that fits his system.

He had a perfect one in Brad Johnson, a QB that was released after winning us a SB

Remember that Chris Simms was Rich McKay's pick by the way

Grudens had 46 selections to find a QB, I call BS on this one. He did draft Grads

was missing 4 critical draft picks that Joel said hurt the team.

I call BS again. 4 players a team not make. They were late rd picks, stop making it sound like we gave up top 5 picks. And going by Grudens "superior" drafting skillzaz, I think it's safe to say that outta those 4 picks if we had them, we'd be lucky to have just 1 of those players currently on our roster

team has also been cap-strapped.

Didnt seem to be a problem when they brought in crusty garbage over the hill players like Brown, Garner, Stuessie, Deese etc...

I think also people are forgetting that the league has ripped our coaching staff apart. All Kiffin's assistants on defense are in or heading in the direction of head coaching jobs. This obviously had a devestating effect.

Oh my...................

This is what happends to Super Bowl teams. Salary cap becomes an issue. And everyone wants your coaches.

Didnt seem to be a problem for the Patriots

Marcia, Marcia, Marcia

It's always about Marcia

MBF

Hall of Famer

#23 : April 01, 2007, 09:38:44 AM

A bucs fan called into a radio show the other day and claimed that Gruden was a bad coach because he hasn't drafted a single pro-bowler. Well, it is kind of hard to do that when the ownership gave 4 1st day picks to Darth Al out in Oakland.

He's had 46 picks in the draft as the Bucs coach, only 11 are currently on this team

Gruden has not had a chance to fully install his system here.

Huh? He's had 5 years. How much time does a coach need, 10 years?

He has never had the QB that fits his system.

He had a perfect one in Brad Johnson, a QB that was released after winning us a SB

Remember that Chris Simms was Rich McKay's pick by the way

Grudens had 46 selections to find a QB, I call BS on this one. He did draft Grads

was missing 4 critical draft picks that Joel said hurt the team.

I call BS again. 4 players a team not make. They were late rd picks, stop making it sound like we gave up top 5 picks. And going by Grudens "superior" drafting skillzaz, I think it's safe to say that outta those 4 picks if we had them, we'd be lucky to have just 1 of those players currently on our roster

team has also been cap-strapped.

Didnt seem to be a problem when they brought in crusty garbage over the hill players like Brown, Garner, Stuessie, Deese etc...

Oh my...................

Didnt seem to be a problem for the Patriots

Sigh, you're one sad individual...spewing all this venom about Gruden until you're blue in the face, doesn't it get old?

And BTW, Gruden wanted Dominick Davis, McKay took Simms. At least research before making yourself look stupid.

BucLord

Starter

#24 : April 01, 2007, 09:59:29 AM

And BTW, Gruden wanted Dominick Davis, McKay took Simms. At least research before making yourself look stupid.

Actually, it's Domanik Williams now

I'm not surprised, the Texans just dumped Domanik Williams (formally known as D. Davis) in favor of Ron Dayne) just after 4 years, yup, sounds just like a player Gruden would have drafted

Coulda took J.P Losman instead of Michael Clayton

Coulda had Matt Schuab, instead we took Marquis Cooper in the 3rd rd. Thought I saw him washing cars somewhere

Marcia, Marcia, Marcia

It's always about Marcia

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#25 : April 01, 2007, 10:01:09 AM

Why did he change from Davis to Williams?   I thought the Domanick name was stupid, but Davis was fine.   

BucLord

Starter

#26 : April 01, 2007, 10:04:04 AM

Why did he change from Davis to Williams? I thought the Domanick name was stupid, but Davis was fine.

Took on his mothers maiden name

Apparently his father abandon his family when he was tottler

Marcia, Marcia, Marcia

It's always about Marcia

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#27 : April 01, 2007, 10:08:10 AM

I'm not surprised, the Texans just dumped Domanik Williams (formally known as D. Davis) in favor of Ron Dayne) just after 4 years, yup, sounds just like a player Gruden would have drafted.
He suffered a bad injury and some think he'll never play again. He rushed for 3000 yards and 23 touchdowns in his first three seasons with no quarterback play and a historically wretched offensive line. He was a darn good fourth round running back.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

MBF

Hall of Famer

#28 : April 01, 2007, 10:26:54 AM

Actually, it's Domanik Williams now

I'm not surprised, the Texans just dumped Domanik Williams (formally known as D. Davis) in favor of Ron Dayne) just after 4 years, yup, sounds just like a player Gruden would have drafted

Yeah, because it's guarenteed he would've gotten injured here as well.

PewterReportHM

Starter
#29 : April 01, 2007, 10:30:01 AM

The original point of this thread was talking about how the Glazers feel about Allen/Gruden and whether there was a media bias in Tampa against them.  My 2 cents:

1) I read the article to be very fair commentary on Joel Glazer's part.  He acknowledged that the team has had issues to deal with like cap problems and a dearth of draft picks, not to mention an aging team where the SuperBowl window was closing.  I don't think he let Gruden and Allen off the hook.  He just isn't blaming them for every problem.  If this team goes 4-12 again in 2007 you can bet they'll be fired, because it will mean they totally blew FA signings and draft picks.

It's Glazer's team, so his view is really the only one that matters.  I for one think it is balanced and fair from the quotes I read, which is good news for fans.

2) It is undeniable that many in the local media have a bias against Gruden and Allen.  It is fact, not a theory.  I have heard plenty in Press Box conversations that underscore this problem, and SR and JF have heard 10x what I have.  It's almost like a club.  Why?  Because Allen and Gruden are not as "media friendly" as Rich McKay was...........McKay used to spoon feed stories to the media about what players the Bucs wanted in FA, who they were interested in drafting, what was going on inside the organization, etc.  That means you didn't have to work too hard to get the story.

This regime is different.  Allen and Gruden want to disclose nothing.  Pewter Report is sometimes perceived as biased supporters of the coach and GM, but I can tell you they certainly don't disclose anything to us.  SR and JF work their asses off talking to agents, players, coaches on other teams------basically anybody they can find that knows, to do their detective work.

Some members of the media resent this and don't want to work that hard.  They write nasty things.  You can imagine how Allen or Gruden feel about some media members football acumen when they read these opinions------so, you wind up with some pretty frosty relationships and testy exchanges in press conferences.

It is what it is at this point.  The sad thing for fans is that I honestly don't think you get much from most of the Tampa media.  It is all twisted up in trying to made the FO look bad.  Personally, I'm fine with it because it just makes Scott and Jim look better, and will help drive more people to Pewter Report.  But, overall, as a fan, I'd like more informed opinions vs less, so its a downgrade from a media market perspective.

HM
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Glazers-Allen « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools