Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: WE DO NOT NEED LANCE BRIGGS!!! « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

chcwarriorpoet

Second String

#15 : October 23, 2006, 10:00:08 PM

I live on the Illinois Wisconsin border so when I'm not watching the Bucs on Directv I get more Bears and Packers then I can stand. Watching the Bears D reminds me of the defense we had in 99 and 02.  Tommie Harris is not as good as Sapp was but he the closest thing to it in this league. As for Briggs he is damn good. For years now me and my local Buc die hards have been talking about how good a Will linebacker he is. Urlacher gets more credit then he deserves. Briggs is the more consisent player. He makes tons of tackles around the line scrimmage and runs the field well in coverage. Urlacher has a hard time disengaging blockers and makes lots of tackles further down field. Urlacher gets more pub then Briggs because Urlacher does make more splash plays like blitzes and picks.  But Briggs is responsible for a lot of 2nd and 9/3rd and 7's. There are a lot of Bears fans that say he is more valuable to the defense then Urlacher. Bottom line Briggs will never be as a good as Brooks. Brooks is Hall of Fame. Briggs is Pro Bowl. At best Briggs is a poor man's Brooks. I don't know if any of those college guys will be a better option for the future, but if the Bucs sign Briggs that would be a good move. Bringing in pro-bowl linebackers always are.

#16 : October 23, 2006, 10:03:02 PM

You cant tell people up there that. They think Tommie Harris is BETTER than Sapp ever was. LOL

chcwarriorpoet

Second String

#17 : October 23, 2006, 10:19:34 PM

You're right they do say that. But hearing that makes me laugh. Tommie is awesome at playing the undertackle in a cover 2. Still he hasn't proven to be the sack artist that Sappwas.  Right now Tommie has 11.5 sacks, 3 forced fumbles in his career, so even if has monster 10 games he'll still be behind Warren's 23 sacks, 4 forced fumbles, 1 pick, 1 td in his first three years.

Even though I am a new Pewter Insider I've been impressed with how smart the posters are on this site. You guys post on people like Chris Colmer, Jon Bradley, Andrew Williams, other draft picks. I don't any Bear or Packer fans that know the back end of their roster like the Buc fans here. And SR and JF are better than any Chicago or Green Bay media for writing, smarts, analysis, and scoops. Hands down. Packer fans are loyal, passionate, and stupid. Pretty much the same for the Bears. Buc fans get no cred.

corruptpirate

Pro Bowler

#18 : October 23, 2006, 10:38:28 PM

Welcome aboard chcwarriorpoet, hope you can continue to contribute to the message boards. As for Briggs, Derrick Brooks is a once in a decade type player. Briggs will never be Brooks but no other player will. Briggs is a sure tackler, a playmaker, and a leader in that defense. While he may not be able to keep up with Moss 1 on 1, the defensive scheme doesn't call for him to do that. All the defense asks is for the LB to be able to get to the outside quickly to stop the RB and be fast enough to be able to cover the middle zone of the defense against the short and intermediate routes. Briggs is fast enough to do that and has the insticts to make the occasional splash play.

bucshot224

Second String

#19 : October 23, 2006, 11:44:06 PM

Buster Davis is pretty small.....even compared to other FSU LB's. I think that if he shows enough speed and imresses in the shuttle, he may be an option for someone at S. He's a player and can defeinetely bring it.

Stand For Something or Fall For Anything

#20 : October 24, 2006, 12:43:41 AM

nah man, Buster is not small. Maybe you are thinking of Hayes. Davis is listed at 5'10 240. He can play all 3 LB spots. Very athletic, and very physical. I think he is almost like a Demarcus Ware or Shawn Merriman type of hybrid athlete. But not quite in that mold, moreso a traditional 4-3 LB than one of those

Timbuc2

Pro Bowler

#21 : October 24, 2006, 01:07:35 AM

We need OLB help... Briggs does not have the speed we need in outside linebackers, he doesn't have the instincts or playmaking ability. I GUARANTEE you if he didn't play on the same defense as Brian Urlacher, he wouldn't look so great... He is an excellent linebacker, but would not be much of an upgrade for us. We need an elite OLB, not a superb role player.

You have must not watched Lance play much. I really shouldn't even reply to this ludacris post.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#22 : October 24, 2006, 01:10:47 AM

We need OLB help... Briggs does not have the speed we need in outside linebackers, he doesn't have the instincts or playmaking ability. I GUARANTEE you if he didn't play on the same defense as Brian Urlacher, he wouldn't look so great... He is an excellent linebacker, but would not be much of an upgrade for us. We need an elite OLB, not a superb role player.

You have must not watched Lance play much. I really shouldn't even reply to this ludacris post.

Exactly.

Ruud looks like he is going to be a "project" for a while.  BRooks has taken the step off the cliff of excellence, and splashed into the pond of mediocrity.  I hope DB makes some plays happen, but he needs to stop whiffing on HUGE tackles.  They are costing the Bucs points...

Step it up Brooks!  We need ya!

Timbuc2

Pro Bowler

#23 : October 24, 2006, 01:14:47 AM

Hey Fink, I like you man! I might not agree with everything that you say but you know some football. I am going on the record to say that somehow, we are going to beat the Giants on Sunday!!! You know me...

rocketspeed

Practice Squad

#24 : October 24, 2006, 05:20:24 AM

Briggs is Awesome Dude. I wouldn't mine seeing him in a Pewter, though isn't his number also 55?

TBYFLBuc

Second String

#25 : October 24, 2006, 07:07:33 AM

if we look in the draft for one, i say we draft one of these guys

Paul Posluszny
Earl Everett
Buster Davis or even
Rufus Alexander

i think our #1 priority in the draft should be Safety, then D-line, then LB, but we might be able to get some d line in FA
If Briggs isn't fast enough, Puz sure the hell isn't.

Paul Posluszny
Earl Everett
Buster Davis or even
Rufus Alexander

i think our #1 priority in the draft should be Safety, then D-line, then LB, but we might be able to get some d line in FA

Paul Posluszny
Earl Everett
Buster Davis or even
Rufus Alexander

Absolutely. Go defense but we STILL need one more O-linemen to replace Mahan?Wade

BUKANEER

Rookie

#26 : October 24, 2006, 07:17:25 AM

Briggs is Awesome Dude. I wouldn't mine seeing him in a Pewter, though isn't his number also 55?
And the reason why is Lovie Smith, after drafting him, told Briggs that he wanted to him to be the Derrick Brooks of his defence.

I need a new anecdote...

Briggs would bring excellent pass-coverage skills to this D, as he does the Bears' defence.

BTownBucFan

Hall of Famer
#27 : October 24, 2006, 08:31:27 AM

so wrong IMO.  Lance briggs is a great player.  A great player that fits our system very well.  Your not going to fill every single hole we have in the draft.  Lance would fill a spot where sadly to say we're just not making impact plays. 

I'm still not sold on Winborn.  First we really haven't seen him outside of preseason, but that maybe a sign.  We might be looking at another great ST guy.  I'd think if he is all that and a bag of chips he'd be getting some playing time outside of ST.  He might be one of those players that we don't really see until we've reached the magical number of 7-8 losses.  That's when I expect to see Stoval, Zemaitis, Winborn and a few others start getting some major playing time.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#28 : October 24, 2006, 09:16:40 AM

If the Bucs coaches feel Winborn is the future here, you'd better start seeing more of him. Now.

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

#29 : October 24, 2006, 09:20:36 AM

Would anyone be upset if the Bucs gave Jamie Winborn a try at WLB next year?
I wouldn't be upset if he got 50% of the snaps this year.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: WE DO NOT NEED LANCE BRIGGS!!! « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools