Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Joe Thomas « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 8

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
« : April 01, 2007, 10:38:03 AM »

I wouldnt call Thomas a stud. When you struggle against the bull rush and have short arms,it usually results in... Holding offense,#73,10 yard pentalty still first down. He does need some work as stated by nick,that narrow base is going to kill him in the pros. But he is a good run blocker.

People kill me. Anyone that knows anything about JT knows he is more of a pass blocker than a run blocker. I'm sure for some this was the first highlights they have seen from the guy...

I like his nastiness.  Not that stinky Jon Runyan kind of nastiness, but that push you back down into the ground if you get up nasty.  The O-line needs some skill, and some attitude.  HE has both.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
« #1 : April 01, 2007, 03:01:38 AM »

http://video.msn.com/v/us/foxsports.htm?f=33&g=7fc3dd9b-e7a8-4b34-b0e1-4725675979d0&p=&t=m1490&rf=http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6621536?MSNHPHMA&fg=/nfl/draft/stories/writers/Peter+Schrager

Again, some commercials, but JT is NOT Rob Gallery!

BucLord

Starter

« #2 : April 01, 2007, 03:04:53 AM »

Offensive Tackles are dangerous in the top 15 picks...

You dont take one, damn sure enough in the top 5 picks

Robert Gallery would have been the #1 Tackle ahead of Thomas had they both come out the same year

Thomas has question marks...

Stay away from Thomas Bruce.. and do this franchise a solid for once and take Brady Quinn

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marcia, Marcia, Marcia

It's always about Marcia

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
« #3 : April 01, 2007, 03:07:12 AM »

Bruce,  do not listen to Buclord.  He has a hate agenda versus outstanding LTs.  Buclord, you are delusional if you think Thomas is Rob Gallery.  Aside from being big and fast, there is no real comparison.  Thomas is a STUD.  Book that.  And I assume we won't see to much of you after he proves you wrong...

nick77777

Pro Bowler

« #4 : April 01, 2007, 04:16:50 AM »

I will say this about him, he will be a great run blocker, but he needs to learn to keep his hands up in pass blocking, he plays with his hands low and in the nfl that will hurt him.

nick77777

Pro Bowler

« #5 : April 01, 2007, 04:17:17 AM »

thanks for the videos though boid

ordinary

Second String

« #6 : April 01, 2007, 07:50:52 AM »

I wouldnt call Thomas a stud. When you struggle against the bull rush and have short arms,it usually results in... Holding offense,#73,10 yard pentalty still first down. He does need some work as stated by nick,that narrow base is going to kill him in the pros. But he is a good run blocker.

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

« #7 : April 01, 2007, 07:52:25 AM »

Taking Gruber with the 4th pick in the draft back in the day was a good move.

Huey Freeman

Starter
« #8 : April 01, 2007, 08:15:58 AM »

Thomas isn't special like CJ is special.  But he is still a top prospect who should get consideration if CJ is gone by the 4th pick. 

flyinbuc

Pro Bowler

« #9 : April 01, 2007, 09:08:48 AM »

It is indeed a dificult decision. If its CJ vs JT I would go CJ. If its JT vs BQ I would go JT.

BucLord

Starter

« #10 : April 01, 2007, 09:15:32 AM »

Here’s something you may or may not know.

Over the last ten years, of the twenty quarterbacks that have lined up under center for the Super Bowl, fifteen were selected to the Pro Bowl that same season.

Matt Hasselbeck, Tom Brady (three times), Donavan McNab, Rich Gannon, Brad Johnson, Kurt Warner (twice), John Elway (twice), Bret Favre (twice), Chris Chandler and Drew Bledsoe were all Pro Bowl quarterbacks the year they led their respective teams to the Super Bowl.

Only five of the past twenty signal callers who participated on Super Sunday weren’t Pro Bowlers that very year. Ben Roethlisberger missed three games this past year, costing him a trip to Hawaii. Jake Delhomme was a first-time starter in 2003 and has been to the Pro Bowl this past season. Kerry Collins didn’t make the Pro Bowl in 2000 but had the best season of his career for the Giants. He was invited to Hawaii previously in 1996. Steve McNair didn’t make the team in 1999 only because he missed five games. He’s a two-time Pro Bowler and former league MVP.

Only Trent Dilfer in 2000 with Baltimore failed to make the Pro Bowl without a legitimate excuse. He also happened to quarterback arguably one of the greatest defenses in NFL history.

That’s seventy-five percent of the time over the last ten years the quarterback on a Super Bowl team also was voted to the Pro Bowl. Ninety-five percent of the time that quarterback has been to at least one Pro Bowl prior or after their team making it all the way. The lone exception is Roethlisberger and that won’t last for long.

What’ the morale of the story? If you really want to go to the Super Bowl, you better have a Hawaii-bound quarterback.

QB's > LT's

Draft Brady Quinn

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marcia, Marcia, Marcia

It's always about Marcia

acacius

Hall of Famer

« #11 : April 01, 2007, 09:17:31 AM »

Offensive Tackles are dangerous in the top 15 picks...

You dont take one, damn sure enough in the top 5 picks

No position is without risk when it comes to drafting, but tackles tend to actually be a somewhat better risk than most.  Of course, I tend very strongly to the philosophy that it's better to evaluate each prospect on their own merits rather than trying to base your picks on history which may or may not apply.  While I'd disagree, I wouldn't have any real problem with someone deciding the Thomas was a bad prospect for his own reasons.  But saying that one shouldn't take OTs in the top 5 picks just seems  like a somewhat baffling statement.

acacius

Hall of Famer

« #12 : April 01, 2007, 09:20:06 AM »

What’ the morale of the story? If you really want to go to the Super Bowl, you better have a Hawaii-bound quarterback.

QB's > LT's

Draft Brady Quinn

I don't disagree that teams need a very good quarterback.  But what if the team's scouts don't feel that Quinn is that guy?  From my point of view, you need to consider the actual prospects and not just the positions they play.  If they feel Quinn is that guy and he's available, great.  I'd have no problems with the team picking him.  But I don't consider it an automatic simply based on his position.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

« #13 : April 01, 2007, 09:24:28 AM »

Right bit, for example, here are the grades on the players we seem to talk about the most from ESPN:

Calvin Johnson   99           
Joe Thomas   99
JaMarcus Russell   98   
Gaines Adams   98   
Brady Quinn   97       

The "grades" in that cluster really aren't gonna matter so you can then shift to more of a positional analysis.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

« #14 : April 01, 2007, 10:36:50 AM »

People kill me. Anyone that knows anything about JT knows he is more of a pass blocker than a run blocker. I'm sure for some this was the first highlights they have seen from the guy...

Baghead #2
  Page: 1 2 3 ... 8
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Joe Thomas « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools