Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Joe Thomas « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 8

#15 : April 01, 2007, 10:38:39 AM

People kill me. Anyone that knows anything about JT knows he is more of a pass blocker than a run blocker. I'm sure for some this was the first highlights they have seen from the guy...

yep !

ordinary

Second String

#16 : April 01, 2007, 10:48:01 AM

I wouldnt call Thomas a stud. When you struggle against the bull rush and have short arms,it usually results in... Holding offense,#73,10 yard pentalty still first down. He does need some work as stated by nick,that narrow base is going to kill him in the pros. But he is a good run blocker.

People kill me. Anyone that knows anything about JT knows he is more of a pass blocker than a run blocker. I'm sure for some this was the first highlights they have seen from the guy...
Im just saying,narrow base=bum rushed=sack. He lacks long arms,so im sure we would be getting alot of holding calls. He needs some work,before we jump to the conclusion hes a franchise LT. Thomas reminds me alot like Jordan Gross who had the same tools,and cannot play LT. Thats my opinion

BucLord

Starter

#17 : April 01, 2007, 10:48:32 AM

I wouldnt call Thomas a stud. When you struggle against the bull rush and have short arms,it usually results in... Holding offense,#73,10 yard pentalty still first down. He does need some work as stated by nick,that narrow base is going to kill him in the pros. But he is a good run blocker.

His arms are to short for my liking. He's one year removed from a major knee surgery. Going from T.E to DE to LT.. He doesnt have much experience at LT as many here are aware of.

I personally think Levi Brown will be the best LT in this draft. If we are set on taking a LT, then for the love of God, trade down, pick up a couple more picks and take Levi Brown

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marcia, Marcia, Marcia

It's always about Marcia

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#18 : April 01, 2007, 11:03:50 AM

Offensive Tackles are dangerous in the top 15 picks...

You dont take one, damn sure enough in the top 5 picks

Robert Gallery would have been the #1 Tackle ahead of Thomas had they both come out the same year

Thomas has question marks...

Stay away from Thomas Bruce.. and do this franchise a solid for once and take Brady Quinn

I really cannot think of a single post about Thomas that is more wrong minded.  He has demonstrated he is the real deal for two years and in bowl games this year.  I try to understand eveyone's opinions but trashing this kid with the Gallery comparison is silly. 

IF you want Quinn just say so, but this kid is the real deal that Gallery wasn't.  Check him out everywhere, opposing coaches, opposing teams, scouts, whereever.  While folks had some concerns about Gallery no one has any about this kid.  Not saying he is gonna be the best of all time - just assured a quality professional LOT is there for the picking - for someone.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

BucLord

Starter

#19 : April 01, 2007, 12:14:40 PM

While folks had some concerns about Gallery no one has any about this kid.

Simply not true

Just a few scouting reports on both

Gallery from

NFL scouting reports

The Big Ten's Offensive Lineman of the Year has also excelled in the team's weight room, winning Iron Hawk Award honors in 2003, along with earning the Hayden Fry "Extra Heartbeat" Award … He also excels in the class room, being named to the Big Ten's Academic All-Conference squad as a senior … Has not allowed a quarterback sack in his last 36 games.

Negatives. None

From Pro Football USA Today

Positives: Gallery is by far the best true left tackle in the draft. He has a big frame with long arms and is very athletic for his size. He possesses good quickness, agility, and speed. He's a great pass blocker, but he also a very effective run blocker. He has great footwork and uses his hands well... delivers a very effective punch. He works very hard on every play and finishes well. Very competitive... attacks the defender.

Negatives:[b/] There are no major weaknesses in his game.

Projection: Robert Gallery should step in and start wherever he ends up and should be a very good pass blocker in a pro-style offense. There is a very good chance he will be the first offensive tackle off the board in April, possibly even a top-five pick.

From War Room

Strengths: He is a man known simply as “Mountain”. Robert Gallery likes it that way, too. You see, when he isn’t being called by his nickname around the Iowa campus, he’s being labeled “Throwback” instead, a testament to his self-described old-school, nasty style of play that has made him the most intriguing senior tackle prospect in the country the last 5 years

Areas for Concern: There aren’t many concerns

From TSN

Assets

An exceptional overall athlete. Can dunk a basketball. Has a big frame and is still growing into it. Quick and quick footed. Moves well laterally and gets great position against his defender. Gets a good punch off the line and uses his arms well. Can make plays on the second level. A fundamentally sound pass blocker who is still learning. A smart and disciplined natural leader. Finishes his blocks.

Flaws Doesn't have great lower body strength or a wide base. Doesn't get an outstanding jump out of his stance. More of a technique blocker than a mauler. Career potential Excellent prospect

Pro Football Weekly associate editor Jeff Reynolds

Iowa OLT Robert Gallery

The 6-foot 7 beast from Iowa is as engaging as he is intelligent, and equally refined on the field. While the pro career of Miami (Fla.) S Sean Taylor piques my interest, Gallery is a more inviting prospect. The Kirk Ferentz project — Gallery came to Iowa to play tight end — has the athleticism of Tony Boselli and, in the mind of many scouts, a similar ceiling on his professional career. If the draft were held tomorrow, Gallery’s selection among the top five would carry nearly even odds. That’s high praise in a draft class being considered the best in more than a decade, with company like Pittsburgh WR Larry Fitzgerald, Mississippi QB Eli Manning and Taylor.

Now on to Joe Thomas

From Football future

Thomas is the prototypical left tackle prospect. He has a long, lean frame with the room to add more weight as he gets bigger. He combines that size with excellent athleticism and agility. Thomas is a great pass protector with his mobility and his long arms, and easily adjusts to moves by the defender. In the running game, once he locks on to a defender, he’s not getting away. With his experience in the Big 10, he’s a player that will be ready to play from Day 1.

negatives

The only pressing issue with Thomas is the knee injury he suffered in January. Playing on the defensive line because of depth issues for the Badgers, he tore his right ACL. He needs to prove that he’s back at full strength and that there are no lingering issues with the knee.
Thomas is a franchise tackle prospect if completely healthy. The knee is a concern though. Eric Winston of Miami was a top 10 pick before hurting his knee, and fell to the third round in last years draft because he didn’t regain his pre-injury form quick enough

From NFL scouting

Positives: Has a developing frame that could carry at least another 20 pounds of bulk with no loss in quickness … Possesses a thick upper body with broad shoulders, adequate muscle development, good arm length and strong hands … Shows classic natural knee bend with good hip snap to redirect and mirror the edge rushers … Nimble moving his feet in his pass set-up, retreating fluidly while maintaining body control

Negatives: Used to be inconsistent with his hands, but showed good improvement in 2006, throwing his hands with much quicker timing and learned to use his reach to press and keep the defender at bay … Has a strong punch to shock and jolt his opponent, but must do it with more consistency … Must bring his arms up quicker when punching, but he showed better consistency in 2006 in using his hands to gain position and replace in pass protection, 2006: Suffered a torn anterior ligament in his right knee vs. Auburn in the Capital One Bowl (Jan. 2) while playing on the defensive line

From Draft countdown

Negatives One year removed from a major knee surgery, not always aggresive, needs to get stronger, struggles with power and bull rushers, still learning the position since playing TE and DE earlier in his college career

From about Football

Positives:

Thomas is very athletic for such a big man. He uses his hands and feet very well, locking onto his man and very rarely letting the defender get by him, much like elite NFL OT Walter Jones. Thomas recognizes and diagnoses blitzes well, and usually picks up the right man, which is a good trait for a blindside blocker in the NFL.

Negatives:

Thomas lacks some in the run game, as he's not quite as powerful as his size would suggest. More of a finesse player than a mauler. He has had some injury issues, most notably an ACL tear in a 2005 season bowl game. The injury occurred when he subbed in as a defensive tackle to aid the Badgers thin defensive line

From yahoo sports

John Murphy's take:

Many expected this All-American to declare early for the draft last year. Those plans were scuttled after he suffered a right knee injury in the Badgers' bowl game. Fully recovered, he is expected to be a top-five pick, maybe even going in the first three selections. A strong blocker at the point of attack, Thomas uses his hands to create a violent punch off the snap. His footwork and athleticism allow him to adjust and handle pass rushers off the edge.
He does not have really long arms (32½ inches) for his size, but his track-and-field background help him lock on and sustain his blocks.
His makeup and skill level make him very attractive for a team picking in the top five. The Lions and Cardinals seem likely destinations. The Browns could be a dark horse.

Gallery was touted a little higher in a class that was loaded with more talent than this year. You be hard pressed to find many negative things scouts said about Gallery leading up to the 2005 draft. He's won many more awards than Thomas. If both were in the same draft, Thomas would have been the 2nd LT taken
The bottom line is this, Gallery has struggled, he did injury his elbow last year and was moved around quite a bit. Will he bounce back? who knows. My point is that Gallery was hyped as the best LT prospect since Orlando Pace. He was labled a "cant miss prospect" He might turn it around, only been in the league two years so he's got one more year left before being labled a bust.

My concerns with Thomas is this, he's raw at the LT position having played both TE and DE and not as much experience as Gallery had. I just see a similarity among the 2. I just dont want to burn the #4 pick on a guy coming off a major knee surgery. If he had'nt had that injury, I'd still be a little hesitant taking him. Go around the league and look at playoff teams, they've buildt good solid OL from the 2nd -4th rd's.

We can and should do the same

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marcia, Marcia, Marcia

It's always about Marcia

#20 : April 01, 2007, 12:25:03 PM

"A true left tackle with terrific athleticism, Thomas is a better all-around prospect than D'Brickashaw Ferguson was a year ago."

ENOUGH SAID  ;)

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/sub/mockdraft.html

ktownbuc47

Pro Bowler
#21 : April 01, 2007, 12:30:25 PM

Given the choice of Joe Thomas @ 4 or trade down, I would trade down pick up Levi Brown and use the extra picks on Defense.

Why do you necessarily have to be wrong just because a few million people think you are?

psymun

Starter
#22 : April 01, 2007, 12:33:20 PM

I'm sorry... but there was nothing special about that video. Most of those blocks were against linebackers and safeties, and both of the lineman he faced in that video were in pass rushing situations and neither one of them were really doing anything...

#23 : April 01, 2007, 12:35:01 PM

Given the choice of Joe Thomas @ 4 or trade down, I would trade down pick up Levi Brown and use the extra picks on Defense.

I am not against trading down, but hell no to Levi Brown.

ordinary

Second String

#24 : April 01, 2007, 12:38:09 PM

I agree if we are at 4 and Thomas is on the board. Trade down to take Okoye or Carriker.

#25 : April 01, 2007, 12:39:11 PM

I agree if we are at 4 and Thomas is on the board. Trade down to take Okoye or Carriker.

and Ditto to CJ.

ordinary

Second String

#26 : April 01, 2007, 12:43:06 PM

and Ditto to CJ.
I disagree. CJ is a cant miss prospect,fortunately the 3 teams ahead of us have other needs. Our WR crop is almost as bad as our oline. CJ or trade down

corruptpirate

Pro Bowler

#27 : April 01, 2007, 01:41:17 PM

I'm sorry... but there was nothing special about that video. Most of those blocks were against linebackers and safeties, and both of the lineman he faced in that video were in pass rushing situations and neither one of them were really doing anything...

I wonder why. When pass rushers don't do anything in pass rushing situations, that means the line is doing its job.

and Ditto to CJ.
I disagree. CJ is a cant miss prospect,fortunately the 3 teams ahead of us have other needs. Our WR crop is almost as bad as our oline. CJ or trade down

You say the team's WRs are almost as bad as the O-line, which means that the O-line really sucks, and so you say, pass a franchise left tackle.

ordinary

Second String

#28 : April 01, 2007, 01:51:31 PM

I wonder why. When pass rushers don't do anything in pass rushing situations, that means the line is doing its job.

and Ditto to CJ.

You say the team's WRs are almost as bad as the O-line, which means that the O-line really sucks, and so you say, pass a franchise left tackle.
How the h-- can you call him a franchise LT? The guy struggles against the bum rush has short arms. How the ---- is that a franchise LT? He can deveolp into a great player but franchise LT is just hyping him up. He reminds me alot like Jordan Gross more the Gallery. Gross who is good but not franchise type player. He needs some work before you jump to the conclusion that the guys is a franchise LT.

#29 : April 01, 2007, 01:55:32 PM

How the h-- can you call him a franchise LT? The guy struggles against the bum rush has short arms. How the ---- is that a franchise LT? He can deveolp into a great player but franchise LT is just hyping him up. He reminds me alot like Jordan Gross more the Gallery. Gross who is good but not franchise type player. He needs some work before you jump to the conclusion that the guys is a franchise LT.

Pretty much everyone at the NFL Network raves about JT.   All the draft class are prospects right now, even CJ.
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 8
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Joe Thomas « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools