Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: F'ing POPUPS!!!!!!!! « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8

#60 : April 03, 2007, 10:29:29 PM

I need to know who I need to suck up to!

I think Turbo is one of them.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#61 : April 03, 2007, 10:30:03 PM

Hate to see it, but I've got to agree with JF that moderation has become a need.

I don't know that we "need" someone banned for "implied" profanity.

I mean seriously, c'mon. The logic was "personal attacks" and pictures showing naughty bits and we've stepped way, WAY past that to implied profanity? It is like killing a gnat with an A-bomb.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
If you think Manziel is the best QB in this draft I can safely assume you are an idiot and will treat you as such.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#62 : April 03, 2007, 10:30:42 PM

I think Turbo is one of them.

LOL, yeah give the voice of reason mod power. He'd ban the Halo discussion.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
If you think Manziel is the best QB in this draft I can safely assume you are an idiot and will treat you as such.

bouconagain

Pro Bowler
#63 : April 03, 2007, 10:31:25 PM

My point is more along the lines of: this place has built itself up as being a refuge for the tbbb castaways.  Run a search on this site for a mention of the other board, and see how many days go by without a mention (hint, it's not a high number).  And the charm of this place is the access to the hard-workin', pail-totin' JF and SR, both of whom have contacts and sources and make us feel like elite little insider fans.  Creating Mods brings it a step closer to the official board.  With all the ongoing **CENSORED**ing (see below before suspending me, please) regarding the Evil Mods on the other board, you've got to expect that there's going to be the same sentiment here.  I mean, you're naming the dude "PR Patrol"?  Are you kidding me?!

Further, the Mod hoohah on the official board is of the no-skin-off-my-back variety, since I don't pay anything to access that board or post there.  But I do here.  And if some yokel decides he doesn't like my opinion on his yokely opinion, so he logs in as PR Punisher and suspends me, well, I guess I'll be buying another bag of popcorn at the movies instead of spending it here.

And finally this: run a search for "damn" or "hell" or "ass" or "**CENSORED**" in the article archive.  Guess what?!  You'll get a hit or two!  From writers or contributers to this site! So is some profanity acceptable, and some is not?  Are some euphemisms acceptable (e.g. "darn") while some are not (e.g. the first word in this thread title?)?  Are the rules going to be enforced by JF and SR and HM, all of whom have a financial stake in this place, or by a group of old-timers who have been granted the Mod stick?

bouconagain

Pro Bowler
#64 : April 03, 2007, 10:33:28 PM

Well - there's a solution!  I typed the word "**CENSORED**" above, which was auto-changed to "**CENSORED**."  Although, all you can probably see is "**CENSORED**," even when I mean to type "**CENSORED**" and not "**CENSORED**." 

What a country!

#65 : April 03, 2007, 10:35:58 PM

The posters here brought it upon themselves. We were openly seeing the 'F' word and seeing it often. I know that the admins started warning people but it didn't put an end to the behavior. In fact, once it got started more and more people were doing it and people thought using a single aster*sk in the spelling somehow made it acceptable. In the past this board was able to police itself but that's obviously not the case anymore.

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#66 : April 03, 2007, 10:45:48 PM

So who are the "mods?"

#67 : April 03, 2007, 11:02:19 PM

I don't know that we "need" someone banned for "implied" profanity.

I mean seriously, c'mon. The logic was "personal attacks" and pictures showing naughty bits and we've stepped way, WAY past that to implied profanity? It is like killing a gnat with an A-bomb.

I agree with you dal..... the personal attacks were getting a lil out of hand and were dealt with but "implied" profanity? That seems a bit much, IMO, of course.

PewterReportJF

Hall of Famer

#68 : April 03, 2007, 11:24:27 PM

Group,

Let me clear up some misinformation in this thread:

1) Yes, we have several moderators on the boards, but who said they were non-employees of Pewter Report? Don't jump to conclusions, especially ones that aren't true. Trust me when I say the people that are moderating the boards are ones that have a vested interest in Pewter Report.

2) Let's not make a bigger deal out of this than it is. Too many posters got away with way too much for way too long. Suspensions and bans were long overdue. Speaking for myself, I warned people several times about violating the board rules. Some took advantage of the warning and continued posting without incident while others turned into repeat offenders. I don't ever recall hearing any stories about the "official site" giving its posters warning for violating rules. We tried going the warning route, and it wasn't working. That said, we were given no choice but to start enforcing the message board rules. Yes, we're being pretty strict right now, but this is in an effort to establish the fact that these boards do have rules and are moderated, and that there are consquences for violating the rules.

3) We do not enjoy having to warn, suspend or ban any Bucs fans. This is not fun or easy for us. However, we have a responsibility to give these boards order and make them suitable for all to read and enjoy.

krazybuc

Hall of Famer

#69 : April 03, 2007, 11:27:21 PM

the 'implied profanity' is retarded, lame and childish... to say the least without implying profanity. great example of how uptight and whiney our society is.

PewterReportJF

Hall of Famer

#70 : April 03, 2007, 11:35:25 PM

KrazYbuc - It's really simple. If you want to post on these boards, you will abide by the board rules.

When someone writes something out with *, %, # or any other sign or abbreviation to get the word across, it's implied profanity. There's a reason why we have a word filter. We don't appreciate people trying to be creative to get around the word filter that we have in place for a reason. Certain words just don't belong here.

You can call our board rules childish, but what we deem childish is the idea that people can't make a post without using profanity, personally attacking people, name-calling, calling out fellow posters, etc.

#71 : April 03, 2007, 11:44:37 PM

The part I don't understand is if implied profanity is considered offensive why go to the extent of banning the offender and yet you leave the offending remark up for all to see. That to me sounds like you're in it for the punishment of an indivual rather than righting the suppoesd wrong.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#72 : April 03, 2007, 11:45:08 PM

So is oh fudgesicle ok?  I means there's an implication there, or I'm just calling out to a frozen chocolatey confection. Oh hades? I mean does making it Greek make it better?

I mean seriously implies covers a ton of real estate. You have word filter, that is a clear form of violation but now you can pretty much strike anything on the assumption that person X implied something profane? Hey, your ball, your rules but as long as I'm not getting banned for calling your rules silly, they are.

Tampa Bay Todd

Hall of Famer

#73 : April 03, 2007, 11:58:38 PM

Personal attacks, name-calling, calling-out fellow posters, all should be shown the door and I think we all can agree with that. But implied profanity? Yes, posters likely (and probably should) find a way to post their thoughts without resorting to asterisks and pound signs. But to take the high road and think that youngsters (teen-agers) and older folks may get offended is to take a gigantic leap. Have you guys been in a high school -- better yet -- an elementary school -- lately? Believe me, these kids have heard -- and said -- far worse. Is that a sad statement about America? Of course it is. I agree moderation is needed, but to get banned for a week for what a majority of grade school kids would not even blink at is a little much in my opinion.
I've got a feeling a lot of people will be leaving this site soon and that's too bad.

PewterReportJF

Hall of Famer

#74 : April 04, 2007, 12:02:16 AM

dalbuc,

That's a gray area. Like I stated earlier, when in doubt don't take the chance. And if you do, prepare to suffer the possible consequences. You can call the board rules whatever you want, but we've been left no choice but to enforce them.

Gulfshore,

Normally, we'd delete the posts or infractions. However, we are leaving some of them up in an effort to let other posters see what the violation was so they do not make the same mistake(s).

I can't be clear enough. If you think we don't have anything better to do at 11:57 p.m. ET on a Tuesday night than sit on the message board and baby sit, you're sadly mistaken. We have much better things to do, like answering questions over on the Pewter Insider board, writing PI content, interacting with our paid subscribers, answering e-mails or even spending quality time with our families. We are not happy about having to enforce the rules like this, but it has to be done. Sorry if it sounds like we've lost our patience, but quite frankly we have.
Page: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: F'ing POPUPS!!!!!!!! « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools