Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Newsweek Poll: 90% Believe in God - Evolution? Not So Much.. High Five! « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12

magicfan39126

Pro Bowler

#45 : April 03, 2007, 08:48:59 PM

And btw, the belief in God isn't supposed to be able to be proven, that's what makes it 'faith', if everything was able to be able to be scientifically proven, then the purpose of the religion would defeat itself.

And therein lies it's very absurdity. If I were to propose that reality was created by a flying spaghetti monster and then demand of you that you respect my beliefs, would you?

Proabably, yeah. If they were sincere and they didn't infringe upon me in any way.

krazybuc

Hall of Famer

#46 : April 03, 2007, 08:59:15 PM

the whole god argument is eerily close to what we heard as children about santa.

do good, get rewarded
do bad, get punished
you cant see him
you just gotta believe

i would love to see that poll broken down by iq level. i will guarantee on my life that the higher you go on the iq scale the less and less you'll see believers and more and more atheists.

it's just too bad the majority of this country is filled with morons... sorry, but it's the truth.

klb55

Starter

#47 : April 03, 2007, 09:02:36 PM

Maybe God lives in your caps lock button. See if you can find him.

Illuminator:

I'll be laughing at that post for a few days............very funny

klb55

Starter

#48 : April 03, 2007, 09:04:38 PM

the whole god argument is eerily close to what we heard as children about santa.

do good, get rewarded
do bad, get punished
you cant see him
you just gotta believe

i would love to see that poll broken down by iq level. i will guarantee on my life that the higher you go on the iq scale the less and less you'll see believers and more and more atheists.

it's just too bad the majority of this country is filled with morons... sorry, but it's the truth.

get ready for the Wrath of Dr. Kahn

#49 : April 03, 2007, 09:05:57 PM

And btw, the belief in God isn't supposed to be able to be proven, that's what makes it 'faith', if everything was able to be able to be scientifically proven, then the purpose of the religion would defeat itself.

And therein lies it's very absurdity. If I were to propose that reality was created by a flying spaghetti monster and then demand of you that you respect my beliefs, would you?

Proabably, yeah. If they were sincere and they didn't infringe upon me in any way.

Good. Much like God, the flying spaghetti monster is low on cash and he wants you to send me some. Please find it in your heart to give generously.

#50 : April 03, 2007, 09:31:28 PM

What I see going on over & over with conversations like this is, that certain people don't know the difference between a religious person who carries a bible & points fingers at all the sinners, or just a simple believer who has private & personal beliefs and has chosen to stick by them til the end(which is what I am about).  :-

#51 : April 03, 2007, 09:40:34 PM

Just to clarify, would you consider it "infringing upon you" if I organized all my fellow followers of the great flying spaghetti monster (blessed be his name) and used our collective power to influence elections for the purpose of changing the laws in order to force my beliefs on you? Would that be okay?

#52 : April 03, 2007, 09:46:14 PM

God, prayer, having faith in something you cannot see, and miracles; are all things that you have to be verrrry DEEP to understand or feel and those who can't comprehend that will be looked at as SHALLOW minded by me(no matter what spin or theory you try and put on it).  ;)

#53 : April 03, 2007, 09:57:24 PM

God, prayer, having faith in something you cannot see, and miracles; are all things that you have to be verrrry DEEP to understand or feel and those who can't comprehend that will be looked at as SHALLOW minded by me(no matter what spin or theory you try and put on it).  ;)

LOL. I can live with that. Didn't you post in one of Joe's threads that if there wasn't enough information available to make an informed decision, you went ahead and made up your mind anyway? And that once your mind was made up, no amount of new information to the contrary could change it? I don't believe I'll be following your philosophical lead anytime soon, no matter how "verrrry DEEP" it would allow me to proclaim myself.

klb55

Starter

#54 : April 03, 2007, 10:13:10 PM

What I see going on over & over with conversations like this is, that certain people don't know the difference between a religious person who carries a bible & points fingers at all the sinners, or just a simple believer who has private & personal beliefs and has chosen to stick by them til the end(which is what I am about).  :-

So private that you decided to post them on this board.  Wasn't your original post something like millions of people can't be wrong.  Kinda sounds like pointing a finger to me.  Next, you decide to call call people shallow for not believing in your god.  Everything you've said and done are completely the opposite of what you just posted. 

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#55 : April 03, 2007, 10:34:42 PM

Just to clarify, would you consider it "infringing upon you" if I organized all my fellow followers of the great flying spaghetti monster (blessed be his name) and used our collective power to influence elections for the purpose of changing the laws in order to force my beliefs on you? Would that be okay?

Sure, that's what elections are for, to force your beliefs on other people. You do it all the time. I don't care that you do it in the same of secular humanism or Jesus Christ the Savior when you win an election you cram your beliefs down my throat.

Of course since you think your beliefs are good and tolerant you don't see it that way but oddly those opposed to you do. Nature of the beast, don't pretend you are any better than anyone else on that front.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#56 : April 03, 2007, 10:41:29 PM

First off, only one person made note of my Borat subject. Thanks for noticing.

Second, I didn't think this thread would go in this direction since we've been there so
many times. Although, there are a few new posters here. Nice! High five!

I figured we would zero in on the evolution thing.

I will chat about this topic 'til the end of time. I don't tire of it. Most of you made the
same points I would have made. But I will make a few more later tonight. When
most of you are in bed, asleep. Remember, he sees you when you're sleeping
and he knows when you're awake. For goodness sake, be good!

#57 : April 03, 2007, 10:42:04 PM

Sure, that's what elections are for, to force your beliefs on other people. You do it all the time. I don't care that you do it in the same of secular humanism or Jesus Christ the Savior when you win an election you cram your beliefs down my throat.

Of course since you think your beliefs are good and tolerant you don't see it that way but oddly those opposed to you do. Nature of the beast, don't pretend you are any better than anyone else on that front.

I won't disagree with that. But the point here was that many people seem to believe that their religious beliefs are unassailable and I don't have the right to confront them. I do, just as they have the right to confront mine.

BucHarbour

Hall of Famer

#58 : April 03, 2007, 10:57:16 PM

Ok let's make a quick little not of the issues:

1: Christianity (properly followed) states we are all sinners and that to be with God after death we must accept Christ and repent (which means to actually feel guilty about what you did, not just confess) our sins. That's it.

2: With the recent discovery of the Universal Constant, the multiple Universes theory is basically dying. Many atheistic Astrophysicists have actually converted since the discovery because it points to a creator, or creators.

3: Information exists in DNA. It is a program that is 3km long containing 1 billion base pairs. In those base pairs there are 16 possible combinations of A, G, C, and T bases. Just 10 base pairs have 1.1 trillion possible combinations. Just 20 base pairs have 1.2 septillion (trillion, trillion) combinations. Now take 16*16 out to 1 billion and see how big that number is. Here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinite_monkey_theorem and Here: http://www.nutters.org/docs/monkeys are some sights that tackle the odds of monkeys typing Shakespeare and showing how impossible it is just to put down a simple phrase. Yet, people believe, despite all of this obvious evidence, that DNA, and the computer program that it is (a blue print for life) just *poof* magically appeared in a pond of sloshing chemicals. All that information came from nowhere? All other known forms of information are created by thinking creatures (primarily us, of course). So wrap your head around that one.

Whether or not the God of Christianity is the real God, or god/s, can certainly be up for argument, but I really find it hard to believe in the atheistic world. The proof is is pretty obvious that the universe was created. Who and why? That's something we may or may not know in time.

>>Ugh.

#59 : April 03, 2007, 11:17:13 PM

The proof is is pretty obvious that the universe was created. Who and why? That's something we may or may not know in time.

Obvious? I don't see proof of anything. At least you're trying to make a reasoned argument. I've got to get up and go to work in five hours so I'll address the total lack of logic in "Monkeys don't type Shakespeare so there must be a God" later. I will point out that your conclusion that the universe was created only leads to the question "Where did the creator come from?" As such, it's not actually an answer, it just replaces one question with another.

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Newsweek Poll: 90% Believe in God - Evolution? Not So Much.. High Five! « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools