Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Newsweek Poll: 90% Believe in God - Evolution? Not So Much.. High Five! « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 12

« #30 : April 03, 2007, 07:31:08 PM »

Tell us then, Dr. Kahn, do you believe that the God of the Muslims has just as much chance of being the real one as your God does? What about the God of the Buddhists? And on and on, etc. Or, do you, like them, believe that your God is the one true God and that all the rest of them are phonies?

klb55

Starter

« #31 : April 03, 2007, 07:36:29 PM »

^^^Who the #### is this guy?

Stop being intolerant, not everyone that doesn't think like you is an idiot.

I'm the guy responding to someone yelling his or her points.  Yelling doesn't make you right.  Actually, religious people are more intolerant than non-religious people.  I never said that people who believed in god were idiots.  However, since you brought it up, the fact of the matter is they tend to be less educated.  

magicfan39126

Pro Bowler

« #32 : April 03, 2007, 07:37:09 PM »

Tell us then, Dr. Kahn, do you believe that the God of the Muslims has just as much chance of being the real one as your God does? What about the God of the Buddhists? And on and on, etc. Or, do you, like them, believe that your God is the one true God and that all the rest of them are phonies?

You'd proabably call me an atheist. I'm completely non-religous but have not ruled anything out completely. I realize that humans can't understand 99.99999% of everything there is to know. And I honestly don't care. But the short answer is that I don't believe in God (even though God can't be defined). I'm just not intolerant and don't particulary give a **** what other people believe. It does't concern me.

spartan

Hall of Famer
« #33 : April 03, 2007, 07:38:33 PM »

This is so funny. We can't argue about politics so have moved over to Religion. Instead of regurgitating the same old political arguments we are regurgitating the same old religious arguments. Let's face it, there are some who believe in God, some who don't. Some closed minded people think that religious people (and in particular Christians) are closed minded. Might I suggest that when something like this comes up we actually discuss the issue instead of deviating to the same old thrashed to death topic where nobody will change their viewpoint?

magicfan39126

Pro Bowler

« #34 : April 03, 2007, 07:39:26 PM »

I'm the guy responding to someone yelling his or her points.  Yelling doesn't make you right.  Actually, religious people are more intolerant than non-religious people.  I never said that people who believed in god were idiots.  However, since you brought it up, the fact of the matter is they tend to be less educated.  

You are the definition of intolerant, chief. Does ridiculing people and looking down on them make you feel important. Why do you care what people believe, of what concern is it to you? Do you like it when religous people prostelitize?

« #35 : April 03, 2007, 07:58:23 PM »

Might I suggest that when something like this comes up we actually discuss the issue instead of deviating to the same old thrashed to death topic where nobody will change their viewpoint?

Does this mean that you are planning to add something new to the argument?

Some closed minded people think that religious people (and in particular Christians) are closed minded.

This is a little ironic. Are you saying that people who accuse other people of being closed minded are closed minded themselves? If so, than that would have to apply to you as well since you just accused others of being closed minded. Or are you saying that people who see religious belief as being closed minded are themselves closed minded? Because that's a pretty closed minded argument. And one I'd like to see you offer some support for.

« #36 : April 03, 2007, 08:01:25 PM »

You are the definition of intolerant, chief. Does ridiculing people and looking down on them make you feel important. Why do you care what people believe, of what concern is it to you? Do you like it when religous people prostelitize?

If we're not supposed to question the beliefs of others, they may as well just close the bulletin board as there's really no point in having one, is there?

magicfan39126

Pro Bowler

« #37 : April 03, 2007, 08:04:13 PM »

If we're not supposed to question the beliefs of others, they may as well just close the bulletin board as there's really no point in having one, is there?

questioning =/= ridiculing

klb55

Starter

« #38 : April 03, 2007, 08:14:36 PM »

Just because I question or challenge someone's belief system doesn't equate to intolerance.  You have a very warped sense of intolerance.  People who cannot handle differing opinions on this subject don't have to read this thread.  I care what other people believe because it does affect me.  Do you really think what other people believe has no affect on you?  Well, you're wrong.  I don't let people preach to me unless they claim to have proof (which of course they don't) and I certainly don't take my self-worth based on message board postings.  BTW, here is an example of laws based on what people believe.  

http://www.religioustolerance.org/lawmenu.htm

So maybe you should care.

magicfan39126

Pro Bowler

« #39 : April 03, 2007, 08:20:46 PM »

I'm the guy responding to someone yelling his or her points.  Yelling doesn't make you right.  Actually, religious people are more intolerant than non-religious people.  I never said that people who believed in god were idiots.  However, since you brought it up, the fact of the matter is they tend to be less educated. 

Just because I question or challenge someone's belief system doesn't equate to intolerance.  You have a very warped sense of intolerance.  People who cannot handle differing opinions on this subject don't have to read this thread.  I care what other people believe because it does affect me.  Do you really think what other people believe has no affect on you?  Well, you're wrong.  I don't let people preach to me unless they claim to have proof (which of course they don't) and I certainly don't take my self-worth based on message board postings.  BTW, here is an example of laws based on what people believe. 

Your quote: "Just because mommy and daddy tell you something doesn't make it true."

Haha, yeah, you're SOOOOOO tolerant.

That's not a differing opinion, that's being a condescending and arrogant bully. 

« #40 : April 03, 2007, 08:22:43 PM »

If you check out the 2012 thread, you'll find Chrispy ridiculing the Mayans for their beliefs. And rightfully so, their primitive beliefs are probably worthy of some ridicule. The problem is that his own belief system is pretty damned similar. (Just to clarify, I'm not trying to set up a straw man who is easily defeated by appointing Chrispy as a spokesman. I'm sure others can make a much better argument for their shared viewpoints) What are you are trying to do here, Kahn, is demanding respect for a point of view that hasn't actually earned any. There is no empirical evidence to support the belief in God. Do you respect the beliefs of the Scientologists or ridicule them? The sad fact is, they have just as much reason to have faith in their religion as any other religion does. In other words, none. Show me a decent argument (or at least attempt to make one, instead of threatening me with an imaginary eternal damnation) and then I'll show you some respect.

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

« #41 : April 03, 2007, 08:28:57 PM »

The goal of science is not to disprove religion. The goal of science is to find the truth. If you are so certain of your faith, then you have nothing to worry about since science will eventually only confirm god's existance. Yet it seems the church has made it a high priority to discredit scientific research that conflicts or calls into question the teachings of the church.

And if there is a god, why does he let horrible events occur? Why did he let the holocaust go on? Why did he let 9/11 happen? Why does he allow child molesters to kidnap, rape, and burry little girls alive? Why does he allow priests who molest little boys to run his churchs? And don't give me the "he gives us a choice, BS!" God is all wise and all-powerful. He had the power to stop such atrocities and instead he sits up there in heaven and watches. What makes him any better than the devil?

Organized religion is a joke! It's purpose is to maintain power and social control. That's all it is about. I am not saying that a supreme power doesn't exist. But no orignaized religion on this planet has the truth...all they have are stories.

klb55

Starter

« #42 : April 03, 2007, 08:31:47 PM »

I'm the guy responding to someone yelling his or her points. Yelling doesn't make you right. Actually, religious people are more intolerant than non-religious people. I never said that people who believed in god were idiots. However, since you brought it up, the fact of the matter is they tend to be less educated.

Just because I question or challenge someone's belief system doesn't equate to intolerance. You have a very warped sense of intolerance. People who cannot handle differing opinions on this subject don't have to read this thread. I care what other people believe because it does affect me. Do you really think what other people believe has no affect on you? Well, you're wrong. I don't let people preach to me unless they claim to have proof (which of course they don't) and I certainly don't take my self-worth based on message board postings. BTW, here is an example of laws based on what people believe.

Your quote: "Just because mommy and daddy tell you something doesn't make it true."

Haha, yeah, you're SOOOOOO tolerant.

That's not a differing opinion, that's being a condescending and arrogant bully.

I still think you struggling with the definition of tolerant.  It was a statement of fact.  I agree it was condescending but there was a point.  

magicfan39126

Pro Bowler

« #43 : April 03, 2007, 08:40:08 PM »

If you check out the 2012 thread, you'll find Chrispy ridiculing the Mayans for their beliefs. And rightfully so, their primitive beliefs are probably worthy of some ridicule. The problem is that his own belief system is pretty damned similar. (Just to clarify, I'm not trying to set up a straw man who is easily defeated by appointing Chrispy as a spokesman. I'm sure others can make a much better argument for their shared viewpoints) What are you are trying to do here, Kahn, is demanding respect for a point of view that hasn't actually earned any. There is no empirical evidence to support the belief in God. Do you respect the beliefs of the Scientologists or ridicule them? The sad fact is, they have just as much reason to have faith in their religion as any other religion does. In other words, none. Show me a decent argument (or at least attempt to make one, instead of threatening me with an imaginary eternal damnation) and then I'll show you some respect.

I don't have much interest in this topic but the tone on both sides wasn't very civil so I decided to point that fact out.

If people are respectful of others beliefs (on both sides), everyone will get alot farther, that's all I'm saying.

And btw, the belief in God isn't supposed to be able to be proven, that's what makes it 'faith', if everything was able to be able to be scientifically proven, then the purpose of the religion would defeat itself.

« #44 : April 03, 2007, 08:44:53 PM »

And btw, the belief in God isn't supposed to be able to be proven, that's what makes it 'faith', if everything was able to be able to be scientifically proven, then the purpose of the religion would defeat itself.

And therein lies it's very absurdity. If I were to propose that reality was created by a flying spaghetti monster and then demand of you that you respect my beliefs, would you?

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 12
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Newsweek Poll: 90% Believe in God - Evolution? Not So Much.. High Five! « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools