Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: You are Chucky.... « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

Itchalot

Hall of Famer
: April 03, 2007, 07:33:59 PM

The Skins and Bears are talking about the price for Lance Briggs.   Right now they are somewhere in the ballpark of Briggs and the #31 pick to the Skins for their #7.  Bears want McIntosh.  They are still haggling, but they could be setting the market, greasing the wheels for a Saints - Bucs deal involving Grant.

OK for the sake of argument here is the scenario.  YOU ARE CHUCKY and the draft is a couple days away.  You want CJ, but its becoming evident that the draft order is going to go this way:  Jamarcus Russel to Oakland at #1.  Cleveland is trading up with Detroit to get Brady Quinn at #2.  Detroit wants to trade out of #3 to somebody who wants Johnson.  They would prefer to trade with the Bucs so they can get Thomas, but they are listening to other offers.

Chucky, here are the three choices you face.  Which do you choose?

A) Stand pat. Let Detroit trade down and wait to take Joe Thomas at #4.
B) Give Detroit our #64 (2B) pick to move up one spot to #3 and get Calvin Johnson.
C) Trade the #4 pick to the Saints for Charles Grant and their #27 pick.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#1 : April 03, 2007, 07:39:12 PM

Chucky is not the GM Bruce Almighty is :P

Give me option A eleven times out of ten. 8)

ordinary

Second String

#2 : April 03, 2007, 07:49:02 PM

The Bears declined the trade from the Redskins. So thats not really a problem. If im Chucky,its win now,so do what you got to do. Meaning take who you need to take that you feel will make the biggest impact,weathers that trading down or up. If he feels CJ will make an impact,make it happen. Just win baby

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#3 : April 03, 2007, 07:57:01 PM

A) Stand pat. Let Detroit trade down and wait to take Joe Thomas at #4.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

#4 : April 03, 2007, 07:58:20 PM

Based on that scenario I would take option A, and be happy Thomas fell in my lap. I would also like to have Grant but not if it means giving up an impact player draft position.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#5 : April 03, 2007, 08:01:30 PM

depends on how good you think grant is.  having the 27th and 35th plus grant might not be bad, although i would still stick with A.  or trade down.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

Bucko40

Hall of Famer

#6 : April 03, 2007, 08:05:21 PM

No brainer. Option A- If Calvin and Thomas are both available at # 3 then it's a win/win for the Bucs. They take the BPA at #4.

Everyone on the NFL Mock world has the Bucs taking Calvin Johnson. I seriously doubt he will drop to #4. I will say it again. The Bucs have bigger needs than giving up draft picks for one player.

nitey

Hall of Famer
#7 : April 03, 2007, 08:16:03 PM

Itch,

Work the trade numbers and you'll see that there isn't anyone that's got the trade power to move to #3. The only way this happens is if someone is willing to throw in picks from next year and Detroit is willing to take them (unlikely since they need help now) or they toss in a proven starter.

Finally, I don't honestly care if we get Johnson or Thomas. We can use either one. So in your scenario, I'd stand pat. Detroit will get no takers for #3 because of the trade up cost and either they pick Thomas or Johnson (neither of which they need) or take a defensive player too high. The only other player that makes any sense is Peterson and with Kevin Jones healthy he doesn't make that much sense. Frankly, the player that makes the most sense for Detroit IS Quinn which screws with your trade scenario.

Ask yourself this, if Detroit trades down with Cleveland to allow Cleveland to pickup Quinn (something I seriously doubt Cleveland is going to do as they aren't going to give up their high 2nd rounder that they really need) whom does Detroit pick at the number 3 position if they can't make a trade out of #3?

They aren't going with Johnson, Millen isn't going to look foolish again especially after having two 1,000 yard recievers this season and finishing 3-13 and he really isn't interested in drafting Thomas after he franchised Backus as his left tackle last season. He's not going to pay left tackle money to a right tackle and that's what he's going to have to pay the #3 pick. If Detroit is going to pay out #2 or #3 money it's going to be either a running back (Peterson) or a QB (Quinn).

That's the way I see it.

Success is when Skill meets OpportunityFailure is when Fantasy meets Reality

defntlydiffrnt

Starter

#8 : April 03, 2007, 09:09:12 PM

I'll take C.  A proven player and first round pick to boot.  Plus, 2 second rounders.  Win/win for me.  All the hype surrounding Johnson is all well and good but we have more than 10 WRs now on the roster and a couple are promising young ones.  I'll take my chances on them.

Bucko40

Hall of Famer

#9 : April 03, 2007, 08:57:34 PM

All very good points nitey. Wild card is going to be Oakland. Al Davis is one crazy old hoot. Russell is very good but a bit raw. The Raiders could very well take Calvin Johnson and attempt to move Randy Moss late in the Draft. I agree that Detroit is the odds on Favorite to take Quinn, you can't honestly think that Jon Kitna is going to take you anywhere. They are talking a good game about how comfortable they are with but let's get real with all that talk.

nitey

Hall of Famer
#10 : April 03, 2007, 09:23:22 PM

Everyone think's Davis is crazy, but I don't think he's crazy enough to take Johnson before he moves Moss and/or Porter. Plus the guy has been collecting QB's since Chucky left. No, I don't think the Raiders are as much of a wildcard as some people believe. They will take Russell. They need him.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#11 : April 03, 2007, 09:28:43 PM

Al Davis is not known to draft QB's high.  But he loves collecting talent (Eg AP and CJ).  IF Al Davis gives up control then the Raiders may draft Russell.

dabucfan

Second String
#12 : April 03, 2007, 09:35:12 PM

In that scenario I am all about option A.  If we can get either Thomas or Calvin I will be a happy camper.  There is talk out there that we could lose out on both.

nitey

Hall of Famer
#13 : April 03, 2007, 09:42:38 PM

Actually the Raiders have had the #1 pick twice before - who did they choose? Roman Gabrial 1962 and Jim Otto 1960. In looking back at their draft history, there is nothing that indicates that they wouldn't choose a QB as their top pick.

I think I'll still stick by my Russell as #1 prediction.

MiltonMack21

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer

#14 : April 03, 2007, 10:39:17 PM

Option A without question.

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: You are Chucky.... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools