Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Greatest Baseball Movies of ALL TIME.... « previous next »
Page: 1 2

Swolf

Practice Squad

#15 : April 05, 2007, 09:17:39 AM

I can not number them as I like them all, but here are the ones if I am flipping through the channels and its on I have to watch it:

Major League
Summer Catch {Jessica Biel}
Field Of Dreams
Bad News Bears (Original)   
Bull Durham
For Love of the Game
The Rookie
A League of Their Own
The Natural
The Sandlot
Eight Men Out
Fever Pitch
Little Big League
Rookie of the year

Kodiak

Hall of Famer
#16 : April 05, 2007, 11:33:51 AM

1. The Natural (1984)
2. Bull Durham (1988)
3. Field of Dreams (1989)
4. Major League (1989)
5. Eight Men Out (1988)
6. For Love of the Game (1999)
7. A League of Their Own (1992)
8. The Bad News Bears (1976)
9. The Sandlot (1993)
10. The Rookie (2002)

Runner ups include...61* (2001) and Talent for the Game (1991)

Whoa...shiver me ****in timbers!

Groovatron

Pro Bowler

#17 : April 05, 2007, 11:45:30 AM

I imagine you guys are too young to remember but James Stewart did a movie called "The Stratten Story". It was a true story about a pitcher who lost his leg in an accident and came back to pitch w/ an artifical leg. One scene I still remember while watching it as a kid---w/ his artifical leg he hit a weak grounder to the infield and fell down running to 1st. His teammates were looking at him as he returned to the dugout and he said, "I slid too early."

original

Pro Bowler

#18 : April 05, 2007, 12:12:55 PM

brewsters millions aint a baseball movie.

Brewster is a minor league baseball player. Unknown to him, he had a (recently deceased) rich relative. In order to test if Brewster knows the value of money, he is given the task of disposing of $30m in 30 days. Brewster isn't allowed to have any assets to show for the $30m or waste the money in any way. If successful, Brewster gets to inherit $300m. The biggest problem of all however, is that Brewster can't tell anyone what he's doing, so everyone thinks he's crazy. Add to this the fact that if he fails, two scheming trustees will get their hands on the money, Brewster's task is not an easy one.

That is a baseball movie.  It just has larger plots with it.

#19 : April 05, 2007, 02:07:12 PM

I imagine you guys are too young to remember but James Stewart did a movie called "The Stratten Story". It was a true story about a pitcher who lost his leg in an accident and came back to pitch w/ an artifical leg. One scene I still remember while watching it as a kid---w/ his artifical leg he hit a weak grounder to the infield and fell down running to 1st. His teammates were looking at him as he returned to the dugout and he said, "I slid too early."

Yea I remember, Moses was playing SS and Noah was in LF.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#20 : April 05, 2007, 02:11:57 PM

brewsters millions aint a baseball movie.

Brewster is a minor league baseball player. Unknown to him, he had a (recently deceased) rich relative. In order to test if Brewster knows the value of money, he is given the task of disposing of $30m in 30 days. Brewster isn't allowed to have any assets to show for the $30m or waste the money in any way. If successful, Brewster gets to inherit $300m. The biggest problem of all however, is that Brewster can't tell anyone what he's doing, so everyone thinks he's crazy. Add to this the fact that if he fails, two scheming trustees will get their hands on the money, Brewster's task is not an easy one.

That is a baseball movie. It just has larger plots with it.
Not IMO it isn't.

Brewsters is a movie witha baseball background, and that is all.  I remember watching this movie over and over on my dads Beta back in the day.  It was a pretty cool movie.  Actually, it still is pretty neat.

But a baseball movie?  No way.  He may have played baseball in it, but it was a footnote more than anything.

Groovatron

Pro Bowler

#21 : April 05, 2007, 03:03:32 PM

Yea I remember, Moses was playing SS and Noah was in LF.

I don't remember any basketball players in that movie but my short term memory isn't what it was.

rocketspeed

Practice Squad

#22 : April 05, 2007, 06:55:55 PM

Definately going on my Netflix queue!!!!!

BucsBullsBolts

Hall of Famer

#23 : April 05, 2007, 11:34:59 PM

A league of their own, LOL, forgot that one as well. Although, Rosie & Madonna killed that movie.

Tom Hanks ruled!!!! especially the famous line " There's no crying in Baseball!!!!".
Hanks carried the movie but Lovitz was GREAT...

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#24 : April 05, 2007, 11:36:52 PM

Last years version was horrible! a disgrace to the original Bad News Bears Classic.

I don't know.  I thought it was ok.   Of course the original was better.   But if you look at a remake like "The Longest Yard" (which I considered complete garbage relative to the original), this Bad News Bears remake wasn't bad at all.

bucnut

Hall of Famer
#25 : April 06, 2007, 10:17:45 AM

One of my favorites is "Long Gone," which was filmed in Lakeland back in the mid 80's.  It starred an unknown actor named William Petersen, now known as Gil Grissom on CSI.  I fell in love with him when I saw this movie, and to this day love him on CSI.  If you can find it, it's a great movie.  In it, he plays Stud Cantrell, the manager and star player for the Tampico Stogies, a minor league team who makes the pennant race.  Virginia Madsen plays Dixie Lee Boxx  (you can't make this stuff up!)

Best line of the movie:

"God made man, made him out string. What he had left, he put a little thing. God made woman, made her out of lace. He used it all up, and left a little space. Thank you god."

NFC South BBS Viva la Grudenistas!  GO GATORS!!!

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#26 : April 08, 2007, 01:33:32 AM

YOUR KILLIN' ME SMALLS!

CLASSIC!

rocketspeed

Practice Squad

#27 : April 08, 2007, 06:00:20 AM

Boid- LMAO! Love it!!!! " FOREVER-FOREVER-FOREVER*
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Greatest Baseball Movies of ALL TIME.... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools