Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Comments on Defense, Offensive line and QB « previous next »
Page: 1

scohad

Rookie

: October 25, 2006, 01:57:19 PM

I can't beleive the way the defense has played this year.  It looks like the Bucs didn't put in a spy (linebacker) for McNabb, Vick, Westbrook or Dunn.  They just ran rampant in wide open spaces.  It used to be that Brooks could stifle some of that scrambling.  He just doesn't look effective this year.  But neither do any of the linebackers.  I don't know if they are missing tackles or are they just so out of position that they can't make tackles.  Is the secondary that bad that we have to send linebackers back that deep to pass protect?  The closest linebacker on McNabb during his long run was 20 yards down the field.  I can't believe the dropoff in performance and am at a total blank to understand it.  My question is ... why no spy?

My second comment is on the Oline.  This is a completely different Oline with Gradkowski in the lineup.  Just the addition of an aware (seems to feel pressure and react better) QB has made a terrible Oline suddenly average at least.  If I was on the Oline, I would lay down my life for Grads as he is certainly making them look better.

My last comment is on the QB.  If Gradkowski finds a way to correct and connect on his throws on the medium and long passes, this is a 28 point team.  I am not yet completely sold on him yet but he has good instincts and vision.  He looks fine now.   If he only had Simms arm on the long pass........  I think Simms would be smart to go free agency and sign a (1) year contract someplace else.  I don't think the Bucs can get him back.   He doesn't fit this offense.  For his sake, he shouldn't come back.  He needs the shotgun, a 5-7 step drop, and a oline that can protect the pocket.  We need to secure a Grads clone in the offseason.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#1 : October 25, 2006, 01:59:28 PM

I agree with all that, good post!

Dallas are also leaning towards using the more mobile QB to make up from an inadequate O-line.  Hopefully Grads will progress and become a very good WCO QB in a year or two.

coopsxx

Starter
#2 : October 25, 2006, 02:24:52 PM

I agree, Grad is fine at the mo, no int is crucial for our team.

I was thinking that about the spy though, i was waiting for Kiffin to drop a D lineman into zone, they were going underneath so much in the 2nd half.

It's amazing to say that our OL is actually gonna be really good, Davis, Joseph and True aint done much wrong, Buenning too, but i dunno why he keeps gettin benched

JasonOfthetower

Hall of Famer
#3 : October 25, 2006, 02:41:16 PM

I was watching the replay of the game on NFL Network and Brian Balldinger, in between one of their McNabb bizlicking fests with whomever that horrible play-by-play guy was, made mention that for NFL Quarterbacks, developing accuracy in the long ball is one of the last things "to come". I do believe its a matter of Gradkowski getting adjusted not only to the speed of his receivers, but the overall speed of the game. I do believe it will come and when it does, he will elevate his game to the next level. He's got a ways to go but I see what Gruden sees in him. He's an intelligent firery competitor, he believes in himself, he has a love for the game, the dedication to get better, and the athletic ability to get it done.

I remain stunned by the sudden decline of the Buccaneer defense. The missed tackles are simply bad technique (and poor coaching). I also believe we've lost a little more team speed and guys are overcompensating by taking bad angles, and arm tackling. The defense will need to be rebuilt from ground up. Don't be suprised if with the exception of Barber and Brooks, this entire defense gets revamped in the off-season.

As for the O-line, I am troubled by the LG spot. Mahan sucks at guard, I'm sorry, but he does. And the fact that the Bucs think he's doing better than Buenning at this point speaks volumes for the way he's played this year. I've never been overly impressed with John Wade. He's an average center that gives up way too much penatration. I think Davis has been adequate at LT, and I've been impressed with the play of the two rookies. They make mistakes, but you can see the talent over their predecessors. Even as rookies, making bonehead errors, I believe they are upgrades. The O-line has a ways to go but I don't believe its as bad as folks make it out to be. The protection for Gradkowski hasn't been all that bad. He's had time to look down the field and make plays, especially at crunchtime. Running has been the major problem, especially from LG where guys are just coming in scott free and drilling Caddy in the backfield.

OpTiOnMaStA

Practice Squad

#4 : October 25, 2006, 02:52:44 PM

There are a lot of positives for this team. The OL does look good as long as Mahan isn't playing. Wherever Mahan goes you can see the other team just flying right past him or pushing him backward. He needs to be benched for good and start working on playing center (if he can even do that).

Gradkowski makes some really good plays. I think he is going to develop just fine, and in the process of his development we are winning games. That is amazing and that is what Gruden likes about him. Does he make mistakes? Sure. Do those mistakes cost us the game? Not yet...as long as that trend continues we are going to be in good hands. Eventually that light will come on and we will get more from that position.

As far as the defense goes, they are very dissapointing. The offense is doing a fairly good job of converting 3rd downs now as well which means the defense has plenty of time to rest. One thing that I have noticed about our DL, Rice especially is that we lose the opportunity to get sacks because they rush beyond the QB. The best DEs will rush until they are even with the QB and then make a move to get to him. Rice just tries to go completely around the LT and that allows the QB to escape from a sack. This hurts our DT play, as well, because then those guys have to cover more ground. I don't like the way Rice is rushing the passer this year at all. I have been noticing this for a while but never really put two and two together. He needs to stop when he is even with the QB so that there is containment, especially against a mobile QB like McNabb or Vick.

Finally, I have been happy with Wyms. He again recorded a sack last week. He got some nice pressure and has seemed to help the DL out a bit already. I like it.

Big_MAC_Buc

Starter
#5 : October 25, 2006, 06:25:26 PM

I agree, Grad is fine at the mo, no int is crucial for our team.

I was thinking that about the spy though, i was waiting for Kiffin to drop a D lineman into zone, they were going underneath so much in the 2nd half.

It's amazing to say that our OL is actually gonna be really good, Davis, Joseph and True aint done much wrong, Buenning too, but i dunno why he keeps gettin benched

Roy Cummings today on Buenning:

BUENNING WON’T BE DOWN FOR LONG: I still don’t think we’ve seen the last of Dan Buenning at LG. Buenning didn’t start Sunday’s game but with Sean Mahan in the locker room getting an IV, he did start the second half.

Not surprisingly, it was during that opening series of the second half that the Bucs put together their longest drive of the game – a 58-yarder that culminated with Matt Bryant kicking the first – and shortest – of his three field goals.

It was also the drive in which RB Cadillac Williams had his most success, running six times for 39 yards, or 6.5 yards per game. Williams ran 17 times for 43 yards the rest of the day.

As we said before, Buenning is the kind of slobber-knocker the Bucs like up front. He’s got great size and power, but he’s not completely healthy. Coach Jon Gruden acknowledged that on Monday.

It turns out that Buenning’s been dealing with not only ankle problems but with hip problems as well. That’s one of the reasons he’s been on the sideline. He probably won’t be there for much longer, though.

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth. --Umberto Eco
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Comments on Defense, Offensive line and QB « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools