Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Booger McFarland « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#15 : October 24, 2006, 04:21:58 PM

Actually, the Colts had the ball for like a seven minute driove in the first quarter, and another two or three minute one, and that chewed up the first quarter on its own, skewing the numbers a bit. The TOP was in favor of the Colts in QTR 1. And the Skins averaged 4.8 a carry, which is far from stopping the run.

Skewed number man.

Which means they ran the ball about 13 or 14 more times between qtr 2 and 3. And in the third QTR, I think Manning went off man. The redskins are a run heavy team, and for them to have 37-40 pass attempts in a game is a lot, IMO.

Even 4.8ypc was an improvement over their previous 5.25ypc average allowed (lucky for us, as they are the only team keeping our 5.1ypc average from being the worst in the league). I'm not saying Booger is going to be a world-beater run stuffer, just that he is instantly the biggest guy on their line and his presence at NT allows the other DL to attack their gaps appropriately. Just like Hovan does for us.

Well all I am saying is, and all I am saying is that Booger sucks.  If the Skins would have been in a closer game, I can bet that the O-coordinator would have said run the ball more.  The pass was picking up about 5.5 a throw, the run was getting almost 5.  Close game, the Skins would have had 150 on the ground, IMO, easy.  170 possibly.

Point is, the run defense in Indy is on more than the front four, and Booger is not the answer man.  He sucks, has sucked, and we all have seen it.  Case closed.  Next case please.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#16 : October 24, 2006, 04:26:49 PM

Well all I am saying is, and all I am saying is that Booger sucks.

I won't argue with this

ZenBuc

Practice Squad

#17 : October 24, 2006, 05:22:49 PM

the way some Colts fans have been talking, it seems McFat singlehandedly improved every player on their defense and forced the redksins to deviate from their gameplan, etc....i guess when you give up 2nd round pick for a guy, you;ll tell yourself anything :D
Ain't just the Colts fans, alotta "experts" have jumped on the wagon too...
Interestingly, he's playing NT there, not UT, so his inability to generate pressure isn't as much of an issue...

yeah I just read this:
5. Talent is a relative term: Football talent means different things for different teams. A player in one uniform can be considered average. But put that same player in a different uniform and he may be considered the best they have. Anthony McFarland  was expendable in Tampa Bay, but the Colts didn't have a player like him. Corey Simon is on NFI (non-football injury) and Montae Reagor was in a car accident and couldn't play Sunday.

McFarland was a Colt for less than a week and he was just what the doctor ordered for Indianapolis. He can stop the run and has already paid dividends on the second-round pick the team gave up to get him. He clogged up the inside run attack of the Redskins, especially on the first two plays when Washington head coach Joe Gibbs wanted to establish the run. Clinton Portis and Ladell Betts finished up the game with 95 yards rushing against the Colts, which in some games would be good enough to win, but as I said, everything relates to where you are. McFarland is a much more important and valuable player to the Colts right now because just slowing down the opposing running game is all Peyton Manning and his offense needs to win.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9747137

Hit55Fan

Hall of Famer

#18 : October 24, 2006, 10:43:31 PM

if the colts get to the SB or win the SB.. it was a great deal!

#19 : October 24, 2006, 10:45:14 PM

Yep, and anything short of that and it was a horrible deal.

Every Bucs fan on here claims Booger was average at best in his 1st game and every Colts fan Ive seen has said he is the savior. The national media seems to be agreeing with Colts fans, but that means absolutely nothing to me, national media is in general a bunch of morons

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#20 : October 24, 2006, 11:48:10 PM

Yep, and anything short of that and it was a horrible deal.

Every Bucs fan on here claims Booger was average at best in his 1st game and every Colts fan Ive seen has said he is the savior. The national media seems to be agreeing with Colts fans, but that means absolutely nothing to me, national media is in general a bunch of morons

Exactly.

And the Colts gave up 120 yards on the ground.  That is far from stopping the run.

They were trailing, and had to throw.  By the time the fourth QTR rolled around, they figured that 5 yards through the air, or five yards on the ground, just make something happen...and odds were that the run D was going to surrender the big play to Portis (an elite back), before Brunell and his geritol arm could make the big play happen.

TBayJJ

Second String

#21 : October 25, 2006, 02:37:20 PM

I agree booger sucks, and we got rid of all that money for a second round draft pick and I love it.

stereochemistry

Pro Bowler

#22 : October 25, 2006, 02:58:26 PM

Here's an unbiased account of the game.  This guy does a weekly column, focusing on one player or position and breaking down each play.  It's generally pretty good.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/print/4445/

It sounds like he did what they expected of him when switching him back to NT instead of UT, and that he believes that the price was high but that the Colts need to win now.

TBBuccaneers24RB

Practice Squad

#23 : October 25, 2006, 03:40:12 PM

Yea I think we made a good decision to get rid of him and free up the cap space.

redbeard10

Hall of Famer
#24 : October 25, 2006, 03:45:04 PM

It's hard to tell by just one game, but the Colt's run defense was statistically improved versus Washington.  If it is a consistant improvement, I'm sure the Colts will view this as a good deal.
If you look at the YPC average, it wasn't as drastic an improvment as some make it out to be. Their offense had more to do with the total rushing yardage coming down.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#25 : October 25, 2006, 03:48:41 PM

It's hard to tell by just one game, but the Colt's run defense was statistically improved versus Washington.  If it is a consistant improvement, I'm sure the Colts will view this as a good deal.
If you look at the YPC average, it wasn't as drastic an improvment as some make it out to be. Their offense had more to do with the total rushing yardage coming down.

It wasn't drastic, but they held the Skins to 0.5 ypc under the Colt's allowed average, or an improvement of 9.5%.  Definitely not drastic, but still an improvement.  It will be interesting to see if the improvement is consistant.

gone

Hall of Famer
#26 : October 25, 2006, 04:05:06 PM

From the outsider article:
"McFarland looked like he was playing to prove the Bucs were wrong to give up on him"

Well there it is, he played with purpose this game.  They won't be seeing that again any time soon...

Itchalot

Hall of Famer
#27 : October 25, 2006, 04:19:37 PM

Exactly, Caradoc.

Now he's mad because he can't live in sunny Florida.   He may play better in Indy, but that doesn't mean he was just about to turn it up a notch down here.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#28 : October 25, 2006, 04:36:30 PM

What really grinds my gears about Booger was that he looks like he is playing with purpose.  NOW.

He couldn't do it here?  He was just resting on his fat butt, not doing jack here, not playing with an intensity that he could have mustered just by motivating himself.  It took a slap to the ego for him to get it going?  What a bum.  I hope he fails, because he couldn't conjure up that intensity here in Tampa.

Good riddance, hope the door hit you in the arse hard on your way out....

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#29 : October 25, 2006, 04:40:46 PM

What really grinds my gears about Booger was that he looks like he is playing with purpose. NOW.

He couldn't do it here? He was just resting on his fat butt, not doing jack here, not playing with an intensity that he could have mustered just by motivating himself. It took a slap to the ego for him to get it going? What a bum. I hope he fails, because he couldn't conjure up that intensity here in Tampa.

Good riddance, hope the door hit you in the arse hard on your way out....

Once that feeling is gone he'll have nothing to create that intensity brining him back to the same ol Booger we know. That artificial motivation olny lasts so long......
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Booger McFarland « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools