Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Time To Put The D Back In Defense « previous next »
Page: 1

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
: April 05, 2007, 07:05:44 AM

Time To Put The D Back In Defense

After watching a once proud, stout ball swarming defense fall from number one overall in 2005 to number seventeen in 2006. It is high time that the powers that be start rebuilding the defensive side of the football starting with this draft.

Most observers will tell you that the star players for the once feared Tampa 2 are fading fast as they get one year older an another year slower. There are many questions that need to be answered. Will all the coaching changes made in the past two years pay off this season or will it only be a microcosm of things to come? Will age and reality finally be realized that father time is knocking on the door for many of the Buccaneer defenders?

Shelton Quarles has been wrestling with the idea of retirement all off-season, as there have been numerous reports that he has suffered six concussions and is playing on a bad hip at age 36 will he be able to play a full season ? Or does he risk his future long term health by playing in a handful of games this season hanging on to what he once was?

Read Rest

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#1 : April 05, 2007, 08:16:18 AM

Calvin Johnson will make the defense better because opposing coaches will spend so much time gameplanning how to stop him, they won't be able to come up with an offensive gameplan of their own.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#2 : April 05, 2007, 08:31:00 AM

Easier said than done. We as Buc fans have had the luxury of one of the best defenses in NFL history over a decade, it's not going to be rebuilt in a few years.

BucsnNoles

Pro Bowler

#3 : April 05, 2007, 08:34:28 AM

Calvin Johnson will make the defense better because opposing coaches will spend so much time gameplanning how to stop him, they won't be able to come up with an offensive gameplan of their own.
HA!  You're kidding, right?

Mellow

Starter

#4 : April 05, 2007, 09:11:52 AM

yucc, agree 100%

and the Calvin Johnson fan club is starting to sound a lot like the Larry Brackins fan club . . . delusional.

MVP

Pro Bowler

#5 : April 05, 2007, 09:49:09 AM

Every great team goes through a decline. That is why the NFL is so great that it can have parity. I think the most consternation is because Bucs fans have never had great players before and will have a hard time letting them go. Obviously Bruce Allen knows the defense has to be reloaded but as Mr. Glazer said the Bucs have traded a lot of Draft Picks. So not a lot of talent is has been coming.

Hit-55

Starter

#6 : April 05, 2007, 10:32:11 AM

The great defence we've enjoyed for the past 10 years was built thru the draft. And we can start that again this year. Two of the main keys in those defences were Sapp and Brooks and that came in 1 draft. This years draft is DE heavy and add a top notch safety like Merriweather and that a great draft. We have young talented LB's in June, Ruud to build around and they 1 more year to learn from the best in Brooks.

Fire the cannons!!!

Balls Out

Starter
#7 : April 05, 2007, 11:23:13 AM

I'm Canadian so I obviously have no affiliation with any NFL city...I became a Bucs fan 6+ years ago because of the defence, watching Sapp, Lynch, Brooks and Co. wreaking havoc all over the field had me creaming my pants...I long for those days again and sincerly hope D-fence gets heavily addressed in this draft...having said that, if JT is still there at 4 I don't think you could pass on a franchise LT...but I would take Okoye over CJ due to our more pressing needs... 

"Some birds can only have a back archer if you flick the starter button - spocking the G spot doesn't work on all of them"

MBF

Hall of Famer

#8 : April 05, 2007, 11:24:16 AM

I'm Canadian so I obviously have no affiliation with any NFL city...I became a Bucs fan 6+ years ago because of the defence, watching Sapp, Lynch, Brooks and Co. wreaking havoc all over the field had me creaming my pants...I long for those days again and sincerly hope D-fence gets heavily addressed in this draft...having said that, if JT is still there at 4 I don't think you could pass on a franchise LT...but I would take Okoye over CJ due to our more pressing needs...
I won't hold that against you.

Balls Out

Starter
#9 : April 05, 2007, 11:29:47 AM

I won't hold that against you.

Thank god, that's very big of you...I was a little worried there for a second that stating such an embarrasing fact would come back to bite me but you proved me wrong...

"Some birds can only have a back archer if you flick the starter button - spocking the G spot doesn't work on all of them"
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Time To Put The D Back In Defense « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools