Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: 43-year-old man to get NFL tryout « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#30 : April 06, 2007, 03:11:32 AM

I have sigs and avatars turned off, so I don't see them.

JC510

Practice Squad

#31 : April 06, 2007, 07:42:18 AM

Sorry it offends you JC.  I'd ask what else offends you, but I'm guessing it's a really long list.  Doing it once could give a little hope into some kids lives, even if is disrespects the holy sanctity of the game for you.

Kids? He's 43!

JC510

Practice Squad

#32 : April 06, 2007, 07:43:54 AM

Unless the 49ers give try-outs to everyone it's a disrespect to the game.

I bet Ray Seals and Eric Swann would be rooting for this guy.

Swann was 21, Seals was 24.

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#33 : April 06, 2007, 07:56:18 AM

A better story would be if some guy who worked as a computer programmer all his life and was out of shape suddenly took up weight lifting and got in great shape.   Then, at age 43, he tried out and made the NFL.  To top it off, he becomes rookie of the year.    This guy sounds like he's been working out and an athlete all his life.   In the military, etc.     Not quite as good a story, but good nonetheless.

Itchalot

Hall of Famer
#34 : April 06, 2007, 12:30:03 PM

Why not try out for NFL Europe?  At his age nobody will want to develop his NFL skills.  He can play NFL Europe for a couple years.   Either that or learn how to be a left handed middle reliever and try out for the D-Rays.   But the NFL dream is not going to happen. He can probably get a tryout at a Summer minicamp, but he won't have the fundamentals down.  He doesn't have two years to sit on the bench and learn them.

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#35 : April 06, 2007, 02:09:51 PM

Why not try out for NFL Europe? At his age nobody will want to develop his NFL skills. He can play NFL Europe for a couple years. Either that or learn how to be a left handed middle reliever and try out for the D-Rays. But the NFL dream is not going to happen. He can probably get a tryout at a Summer minicamp, but he won't have the fundamentals down. He doesn't have two years to sit on the bench and learn them.

You must not have seen the movie the Waterboy.

gone

Hall of Famer
#36 : April 06, 2007, 05:32:45 PM

Sorry it offends you JC.  I'd ask what else offends you, but I'm guessing it's a really long list.  Doing it once could give a little hope into some kids lives, even if is disrespects the holy sanctity of the game for you.

Kids? He's 43!

Kids = plural of kid
lives = plural or lives
Reading the story = what you apparently didn't do.

Try it before you comment next time.

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#37 : April 07, 2007, 08:28:08 AM

43 is still young.    At least that's what I think.

MBF

Hall of Famer

#38 : April 07, 2007, 07:32:20 PM

43 is still young.
You mean compared to you?

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#39 : April 08, 2007, 12:39:24 AM

43 is still young.
You mean compared to you?

Yep.    I can relate to the guy.    I'm thinking about trying out next year if he makes it.

bucs1

Practice Squad
#40 : April 09, 2007, 02:42:33 PM

According to ProFootballTalk.com, Jim Davis thought that his workout went well.

From ProFootballTalk.com: http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

DAVIS PLEASED WITH WORKOUT

We spoke a little while ago with Jim Davis, the 43-year-old who worked out on Monday for (as reported elsewhere) the San Francisco 49ers.

Davis was pleased with the effort, despite the fact that the tryout took place in the high altitude of Colorado.

"They treated me great," he said.

Davis told us that he was put through all of the combine drills in quick succession, with the exception of the 225-pound bench press.  The scouts did not disclose his time in the 40-yard dash, which was run outdoors.  Per prior reports, Davis can run the 40 in the range of 4.5 seconds.

Davis also was given an official 49ers jersey bearing his name on the back.  We're told that Davis would have been presented with the jersey on ABC's The Great American Dream Vote, if the show hadn't been canceled after only two showings.

Davis had been a contestant on the show.  The 49ers previously had agreed to give him a tryout, and honored their commitment despite the cancellation of the show. 

Does this mean that the Niners are now willing to give every Tom, **CENSORED**, and Homer a workout?  No.  The Niners followed through on this one only because of the ABC show.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#41 : April 09, 2007, 03:28:29 PM

It is still a great story, a nice warm and fuzzt piece.

Hope him well, but I would not count on seeing him play for the niners.

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: 43-year-old man to get NFL tryout « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools