Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Front page of CNNSI NFL page... « previous next »
Page: 1 2

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#15 : April 08, 2007, 01:55:08 PM

Amobi Okoye? :)

Not likely. I think people forget that when coming out, Sapp was the best player in the nation and expected to be the first pick in the entire draft before his "drug accusations" made him fall in the draft. I don't think Okoye is anything close to Sapp. I may end up being wrong, but I seriously doubt he's another Warren Sapp.

well Amobi Okoye is regarded as most as the best DT in the draft, Branch really dropped off

Okoye might be the best UT in the draft, but he doesn't have Sapp's explosiveness, raw speed, and amazing quickness off the ball. That's what made Sapp so special. Still, Okoye might prove to be a good player.

Most reviews I have read compare him to Booger.  That might not be a bad thing, because if Booger was ever motivated he definitely had some talent.  The comparison does make me nervous, though.  A lot of folks see Okoye maturing into a dominating Cover-2 NT, which is a good thing to have, but not really what we are looking for at #4 overall.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#16 : April 08, 2007, 01:57:33 PM

I wonder why Lynch keeps making pro bowls, but Sapp doesn't? It's strange how Warren fell out of the limelight when he left here, but Lynch is now more in the limelight.

Between playing out of position and injury, Sapp didn't deserve it until this past year.  But I definitely think he deserved it this past year.  He was in his best form in quite some time.  I think part of the reasoning behind the snub is that he's "the guy you love to hate" for a lot of folks.

#17 : April 08, 2007, 01:59:14 PM

I think part of the reasoning behind the snub is that he's "the guy you love to hate" for a lot of folks.

Definitely that.... plus, playin for a crap team.

#18 : April 08, 2007, 02:09:42 PM

Amobi Okoye? :)

Not likely. I think people forget that when coming out, Sapp was the best player in the nation and expected to be the first pick in the entire draft before his "drug accusations" made him fall in the draft. I don't think Okoye is anything close to Sapp. I may end up being wrong, but I seriously doubt he's another Warren Sapp.

well Amobi Okoye is regarded as most as the best DT in the draft, Branch really dropped off

Okoye might be the best UT in the draft, but he doesn't have Sapp's explosiveness, raw speed, and amazing quickness off the ball.  That's what made Sapp so special.  Still, Okoye might prove to be a good player.

Okoye might eventually become the best UT in the draft, but that distinction probably belongs to Marcus Thomas right now save injury.

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#19 : April 08, 2007, 02:15:01 PM

Most reviews I have read compare him to Booger.

That would probably be a more accurate comparison than to Warren Sapp.

Juice813

Practice Squad

#20 : April 08, 2007, 03:24:30 PM

Yeah, there will never be another Warren Sapp, especially off the field...the guy was a pompous jerk who only was nice to fans infront of a camera. He could never hold Lynch, Brooks and Alstott's jock when it came to actually being in the community.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#21 : April 08, 2007, 04:07:24 PM

Not likely.   I think people forget that when coming out, Sapp was the best player in the nation and expected to be the first pick in the entire draft before his "drug accusations" made him fall in the draft.   I don't think Okoye is anything close to Sapp.   I may end up being wrong, but I seriously doubt he's another Warren Sapp.

I thank deeply whoever came up with those coke rumors since that is what made him fall so far.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

DBrooksIsMyDaddy

Pro Bowler

#22 : April 08, 2007, 05:00:08 PM

Yeah, there will never be another Warren Sapp, especially off the field...the guy was a pompous jerk who only was nice to fans infront of a camera. He could never hold Lynch, Brooks and Alstott's jock when it came to actually being in the community.
Not true.  I worked in a local children's hospital at that time, and Sapp used to come in unannounced, no publicity, to bring stuff to and visit the sick kids, especially the kids with cancer.  He'd play cards with little girls, and video games with wide-eyed teenaged boys.  And laugh that big laugh, cheering everyone up. 

He may not have wanted to give autographs 24/7, but I've seen him be a good guy.  And I *loved* watching him play on Sundays!

PeterDias

Practice Squad

#23 : April 09, 2007, 08:02:35 AM

Do you have any specifics on this? All I here about is how great a man he is. He is a dedicated family man. It's a shame this gifted talent could not finish his career in Tampa.

Juice813

Practice Squad

#24 : April 09, 2007, 12:42:40 PM

yes actually. I've had numerous runs in with him at several different functions, charity events, nfl golf tournaments, his old radio show that they used to do at locals champs stores. I recall one specific time at MacDill when the super bowl was here, they had a golf tournament there with a bunch of players, past and present, and he wouldnt even come near where all the spectators were and sign. Mind you the whole basis of this was for fans to meet and get autographs from their favorite players and this was in Tampa...it was sickening the way the so called franchise player of the local team wouldnt take the time to get out of his golf cart to sign a few and chat with the fans...and he was really the only one who did this. There were tons of players who be backed up cuz they were joking around with the fans...Ray Buchanon, Marcelius Wiley, Brooks, Rhonde,  Franco Harris, Marcus Allen, Marshall Faulk, etc...these guys made it worth your money. Sapp made it seem like he was in the heart of Philly.

Of all the celebs and athlete's I've met in my 23 years, he ranks up there with one of the worse behind Joe DiMaggio, Mickey Mantle, Ken Griffey Jr, and Tiger.

fanofdabucs

Second String

#25 : April 09, 2007, 01:13:09 PM

Juice,

Agreed. I have run into Sapp on numerous occasions and he was a jerk ever time.

Bradentonian,

I haven't heard anyone saying Okoye will be a NT. He is an UT and would be a very good fit for the Bucs at that position.

#26 : April 09, 2007, 01:24:50 PM

Juice,

Agreed. I have run into Sapp on numerous occasions and he was a jerk ever time.

Bradentonian,

I haven't heard anyone saying Okoye will be a NT. He is an UT and would be a very good fit for the Bucs at that position.

I think Brad said some think he would 'mature' into a NT. I take that to mean as he gets older he will get rounder. ;D
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Front page of CNNSI NFL page... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools