Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Don Imus is a gold medal olympic idiot. « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

krazybuc

Hall of Famer

#105 : April 14, 2007, 10:01:41 AM

Nappy headed is an insult? I must be missing something here. The Ho part is going over the line, but nappy headed seems harmless.
Not harmless enough apparently. Imus is widely regarded by other radio personalities as an outright racist. He just slipped and let his viewpoint be known as he was on stage. He is radioactive right now. Unhireable.

Link for those other radio personalities regarding Imus as a racist? I never heard that. Would
be interested in reading something on that.

Imus will have a job soon. Maybe satellite.

IMO.
Sadly Joe, I have no link. I just listen to guys like Keith Olbermann, Howard Stern, etc...and I have heard them either directly say it (KO, HS, B and T), or allude to it.

It will be a while before Imus gets a show. He is radioactive right now.

satellite radio needs somethin radioactive cause it just blows right now. stern and bubba are lame anymore.

I disagree. I listen to Opie and Anthony on XM, and I literally have had to pull off the road cause I was laughing so hard.

dont have opie, i got sirius.

SKYSHARK

Practice Squad

#106 : April 14, 2007, 10:09:38 AM

Nappy headed is an insult? I must be missing something here. The Ho part is going over the line, but nappy headed seems harmless.
Not harmless enough apparently. Imus is widely regarded by other radio personalities as an outright racist. He just slipped and let his viewpoint be known as he was on stage. He is radioactive right now. Unhireable.

Link for those other radio personalities regarding Imus as a racist? I never heard that. Would
be interested in reading something on that.

Imus will have a job soon. Maybe satellite.

IMO.
Sadly Joe, I have no link. I just listen to guys like Keith Olbermann, Howard Stern, etc...and I have heard them either directly say it (KO, HS, B and T), or allude to it.

It will be a while before Imus gets a show. He is radioactive right now.

satellite radio needs somethin radioactive cause it just blows right now. stern and bubba are lame anymore.

I disagree. I listen to Opie and Anthony on XM, and I literally have had to pull off the road cause I was laughing so hard.

dont have opie, i got sirius.

I guess we will have both soon if they merge.

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#107 : April 15, 2007, 10:54:26 AM

"Nappy" has historically been a derogatory way of describing the natural hair texture of many people of African descent, hair that is tightly curled, and coarser than that of people of European descent.

LOL!   I must live in a bubble.   Maybe the word "nappy" has evolved into a racial slur in the last 5 years in the usa since I left, but I don't associate the word nappy with a black person's hair.   I have always associated it with something that is messed up or unattractive.    It could be anything.   I would consider the girl below to also be "nappy headed". 

By the way, most women who play basketball have nappy hair regardless of their skin color.   Those women aren't exactly fashion models for the most part.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#108 : April 15, 2007, 11:05:05 AM

I thought nappy was what I needed after a long day at work.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#109 : April 15, 2007, 11:31:04 AM

"Nappy" has historically been a derogatory way of describing the natural hair texture of many people of African descent, hair that is tightly curled, and coarser than that of people of European descent.

LOL! I must live in a bubble. Maybe the word "nappy" has evolved into a racial slur in the last 5 years in the usa since I left, but I don't associate the word nappy with a black person's hair. I have always associated it with something that is messed up or unattractive. It could be anything. I would consider the girl below to also be "nappy headed".

By the way, most women who play basketball have nappy hair regardless of their skin color. Those women aren't exactly fashion models for the most part.
It was clearly a racial slur.

Even Imus acknowledged it was said in poor taste.

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#110 : April 15, 2007, 11:33:45 AM

I didn't hear it.   And I think Imus sucks so I'm not defending Imus in any way.   I'm surprised he's so popular.    I have no idea if it was a "racial slur" or not.   But I don't consider "nappy headed" or "ho" to only relate to black people.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#111 : April 15, 2007, 11:37:19 AM

I didn't hear it.   And I think Imus sucks so I'm not defending Imus in any way.   I'm surprised he's so popular.    I have no idea if it was a "racial slur" or not.   But I don't consider "nappy headed" or "ho" to only relate to black people.
Agreed about Imus sucking.

Just try this if you think Nappy headed hoes is not so bad...

Walk into a local hip-hop bar, walk up to a group of young black women and call them nappy headed hoes.  I am willing to bet the results won't be very pretty.

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#112 : April 15, 2007, 12:13:04 PM

Walk into a local hip-hop bar, walk up to a group of young black women and call them nappy headed hoes. I am willing to bet the results won't be very pretty.

I would imagine if I called them butt ugly smelly scrags, I'd get the same result.    Nappy headed hoe is an insult, but I dont consider it to be related to any particular race.    I've always thought the word "ho" shouldn't be used in society at all.   

In my travels around the world, I find that it's only american blacks who are so sensitive about such things.   I would never do this because I'm a gentleman, but If I called a black girl a nappy headed ho in africa, they'd just tell me to get lost.    In the usa, they'd throw a holy fit.   In my opinion, there's something seriously wrong with that amount of sensitivity.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#113 : April 15, 2007, 12:28:37 PM

Walk into a local hip-hop bar, walk up to a group of young black women and call them nappy headed hoes. I am willing to bet the results won't be very pretty.

I would imagine if I called them butt ugly smelly scrags, I'd get the same result.    Nappy headed hoe is an insult, but I dont consider it to be related to any particular race.    I've always thought the word "ho" shouldn't be used in society at all.   

In my travels around the world, I find that it's only american blacks who are so sensitive about such things.   I would never do this because I'm a gentleman, but If I called a black girl a nappy headed ho in africa, they'd just tell me to get lost.    In the usa, they'd throw a holy fit.   In my opinion, there's something seriously wrong with that amount of sensitivity.
I would imagine the result between butt ugly stankin scaggs would be a LOT different then Nappy Headed Hoes...just saying.  If their is the slightest bit of race implication, things tend to get ugly.

My little brother is half black, and when I hear people make them comments, I tend to hear them out first, let them bury themselves.  Then I let it be known that I have a brother who happens to be African American.  It tends to shut them up pretty quick.  I will be damned if anyone calls him a nappy headed bro to my face, if that means anything.

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#114 : April 15, 2007, 12:41:31 PM

I will be damned if anyone calls him a nappy headed bro to my face, if that means anything.

Yet if he were 100% white, and someone called him a nappy headed **CENSORED**, you probably wouldn't care.    That's the double standard I can't understand.   I'm hoping we can get past that one day in the usa.   

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#115 : April 15, 2007, 01:21:23 PM

I will be damned if anyone calls him a nappy headed bro to my face, if that means anything.

Yet if he were 100% white, and someone called him a nappy headed **CENSORED**, you probably wouldn't care. That's the double standard I can't understand. I'm hoping we can get past that one day in the usa.
Nappy and curly can have the same meaning, but different implication.  It is not a double standard if you get the point of the barb.  With Imus, it was racial.  No doubt about it.  If my buddy Chu was to call me a honkey, and we weren't mad at each other, I would not mind (and he is black), because we are friends.

I can deal with someone calling my brother a dumbass, because in essence, he acts like it sometimes (like me! :P), but for them to get racial with me or him, is stepping out of bounds.  Pretty simple stuff. 

As far as the **CENSORED** comment goes, the same applies to a black man.  I dare him to walk up to a group of white males in a country and western bar (yes, they are predominantly white), and call them a bunch of white bread **CENSORED** jacks.  The result, again, won't be pretty.

dr3z

Hall of Famer

#116 : April 15, 2007, 01:42:09 PM

This is so Funny to me! Double standard!! lol!!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/wn_report/2007/04/15/2007-04-15_dems_facing_a_rap.html

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#117 : April 15, 2007, 01:50:36 PM

We are not talking politics here.

That is always a shady business, and probably why it is banned from the PR...

dr3z

Hall of Famer

#118 : April 15, 2007, 01:52:16 PM

But race isn't huh............................... noooooooooo thats not shady at all huh Boid.
Funny.

We are not talking politics here.

That is always a shady business, and probably why it is banned from the PR...

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#119 : April 15, 2007, 01:56:02 PM

Yeah yeah.  Whatever.

I am not saying I disagree with your point.

But it is race we are discussing, not politics.  And yes the two are intertwined, but I can discuss one without fear of repercussion on this site.

And if you are trying to make a legitimate point, then Race is not shady at all.  NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO it isn't. (fart)

Page: 1 ... 6 7 8 9
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Don Imus is a gold medal olympic idiot. « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools