Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Don Imus is a gold medal olympic idiot. « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

#90 : April 13, 2007, 03:00:18 AM

I'm a white woman, mother of a teenaged girl. I was very offended by Imus's remarks, especially as they were directed at a bunch of college girls. This society is still very sexist and racist, regardless of how many strides we have made in the past few decades, and for a white man to make these kinds of comments strikes a huge nerve. It is completely different for a black person to use racial slurs because historically, it was the white people who used these terms to keep the black people down. And I'm not talking ancient history, either. I don't know Imus's age, but I assume maybe 70ish? In his lifetime, there were separate drinking fountains and restrooms and schools for blacks and whites in the south. And women were routinely and legally fired from jobs because they were pregnant, a man 'needed' the job to support his family, etc.

I hate hearing anyone use 'ho' to describe women because it dehumanizes us. Same thing with racist remarks. It makes abuse easier if the person is dehumanized. It's like during WWII, the Japanese were called Japs or Nips, to dehumanize, to make it possible to kill them with less compunction. (And no, I'm not dissing our participation in WWII, my dad and uncle fought in the Pacific.)

In my opinion, these racial slurs are not going to end until black people stop using them. Who are the biggest consumers of rap music? Teenage white males. So they are learning these slurs directly from the black hip-hop culture.
And these rap artists have been calling women hos, sluts, dogs, etc... for years and feminst groups have never complained. And you know how many times I've heard one woman refer to another as a whore or a slut? Teen girls call each other this all the time when they start fighting over boyfriends. And I've heard countless grown women doing it too. Obviously being great mothers.

So when will NOW and other feminist groups start bashing the rap artists that don't think of women as anything more than toys or objects?

Imus isn't the problem here...he's a result of the problem.

DBrooksIsMyDaddy

Pro Bowler

#91 : April 13, 2007, 03:35:22 AM

I'm a white woman, mother of a teenaged girl. I was very offended by Imus's remarks, especially as they were directed at a bunch of college girls. This society is still very sexist and racist, regardless of how many strides we have made in the past few decades, and for a white man to make these kinds of comments strikes a huge nerve. It is completely different for a black person to use racial slurs because historically, it was the white people who used these terms to keep the black people down. And I'm not talking ancient history, either. I don't know Imus's age, but I assume maybe 70ish? In his lifetime, there were separate drinking fountains and restrooms and schools for blacks and whites in the south. And women were routinely and legally fired from jobs because they were pregnant, a man 'needed' the job to support his family, etc.

I hate hearing anyone use 'ho' to describe women because it dehumanizes us. Same thing with racist remarks. It makes abuse easier if the person is dehumanized. It's like during WWII, the Japanese were called Japs or Nips, to dehumanize, to make it possible to kill them with less compunction. (And no, I'm not dissing our participation in WWII, my dad and uncle fought in the Pacific.)

In my opinion, these racial slurs are not going to end until black people stop using them. Who are the biggest consumers of rap music? Teenage white males. So they are learning these slurs directly from the black hip-hop culture.
And these rap artists have been calling women hos, sluts, dogs, etc... for years and feminst groups have never complained. And you know how many times I've heard one woman refer to another as a whore or a slut? Teen girls call each other this all the time when they start fighting over boyfriends. And I've heard countless grown women doing it too. Obviously being great mothers.

So when will NOW and other feminist groups start bashing the rap artists that don't think of women as anything more than toys or objects?

Rap didn't *create* misogyny, it is a result of the problem.  Rap music reflects not just young black males' viewpoints, but society's as well.  Look at your "obviously being great mothers" comment.  Blaming the women for society's woman-bashing and black people for racism?  Give me a break.

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

#92 : April 13, 2007, 04:07:40 AM

Rap didn't *create* misogyny, it is a result of the problem. Rap music reflects not just young black males' viewpoints, but society's as well. Look at your "obviously being great mothers" comment. Blaming the women for society's woman-bashing and black people for racism? Give me a break.

I am blaming the culture. You seem to think that rap music is a reflection of black males. And that rap music is the result of the problem? That's Snoop Dog's position on rap music. And that's been debunked. Social psychologists agree that rap music is a CAUSE of racism and sexism, not a result. Remember that human beings are not born racist or sexist. They are taught to be. And watching music videos that use the n-word 20+ times a song and refers to women as hos is teaching our children these slurs.

klb55

Starter

#93 : April 13, 2007, 04:30:25 AM

DBrooksisMyDaddy.........where did you post go?  I read it and a response is coming.  You mentioned infantile, I'll explain what is infantile in just a moment.

DBrooksIsMyDaddy

Pro Bowler

#94 : April 13, 2007, 04:42:39 AM

DBrooksisMyDaddy.........where did you post go?  I read it and a response is coming.  You mentioned infantile, I'll explain what is infantile in just a moment.
In the other thread.

klb55

Starter

#95 : April 13, 2007, 05:20:40 AM

DBrooksisMyDaddy.........where did you post go? I read it and a response is coming. You mentioned infantile, I'll explain what is infantile in just a moment.
In the other thread.

Oh, I guess when I can't keep track of the threads then it is time to go to bed. ;D

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#96 : April 13, 2007, 08:21:13 AM

Nappy headed is an insult?   I must be missing something here.    The Ho part is going over the line, but nappy headed seems harmless.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#97 : April 13, 2007, 03:04:22 PM

Nappy headed is an insult? I must be missing something here. The Ho part is going over the line, but nappy headed seems harmless.
Not harmless enough apparently.  Imus is widely regarded by other radio personalities as an outright racist.  He just slipped and let his viewpoint be known as he was on stage.  He is radioactive right now.  Unhireable.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#98 : April 14, 2007, 04:03:42 AM

Nappy headed is an insult? I must be missing something here. The Ho part is going over the line, but nappy headed seems harmless.
Not harmless enough apparently.  Imus is widely regarded by other radio personalities as an outright racist.  He just slipped and let his viewpoint be known as he was on stage.  He is radioactive right now.  Unhireable.

Link for those other radio personalities regarding Imus as a racist? I never heard that. Would
be interested in reading something on that.

Imus will have a job soon. Maybe satellite.

IMO.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#99 : April 14, 2007, 09:39:14 AM

Not harmless enough apparently. Imus is widely regarded by other radio personalities as an outright racist. He just slipped and let his viewpoint be known as he was on stage. He is radioactive right now. Unhireable.

Link for those other radio personalities regarding Imus as a racist? I never heard that. Would

IMO.
Sadly Joe, I have no link.  I just listen to guys like Keith Olbermann, Howard Stern, etc...and I have heard them either directly say it (KO, HS, B and T), or allude to it.

It will be a while before Imus gets a show.  He is radioactive right now.

krazybuc

Hall of Famer

#100 : April 14, 2007, 09:45:41 AM

"you's a ho"
"ho's in different area codes"
"**CENSORED**es ain't **CENSORED** but hos and tricks"
"move **CENSORED**"

lyrics / song titles from rap music.

as long as moron rappers and their listeners find it acceptable to speak this way, then kiss my white butt cause i'm gonna speak any way i want to.

krazybuc

Hall of Famer

#101 : April 14, 2007, 09:46:48 AM

Not harmless enough apparently. Imus is widely regarded by other radio personalities as an outright racist. He just slipped and let his viewpoint be known as he was on stage. He is radioactive right now. Unhireable.

IMO.
Sadly Joe, I have no link. I just listen to guys like Keith Olbermann, Howard Stern, etc...and I have heard them either directly say it (KO, HS, B and T), or allude to it.

It will be a while before Imus gets a show. He is radioactive right now.

satellite radio needs somethin radioactive cause it just blows right now. stern and bubba are lame anymore.

SKYSHARK

Practice Squad

#102 : April 14, 2007, 09:55:33 AM

Imus will find a home on XM radio. I am a subscriber and if you have listened to Opie and Anthony on XM, they make Imus look like a gold medal choir boy.  Imus used the phrase during a womens college basketball game in which black athletes were participating. How stupid could he be? If he has used the same wording during one of radio show comedy rants, not a word would have been had said. Its all about timing.

SKYSHARK

Practice Squad

#103 : April 14, 2007, 09:57:54 AM

IMO.
Sadly Joe, I have no link. I just listen to guys like Keith Olbermann, Howard Stern, etc...and I have heard them either directly say it (KO, HS, B and T), or allude to it.

It will be a while before Imus gets a show. He is radioactive right now.

satellite radio needs somethin radioactive cause it just blows right now. stern and bubba are lame anymore.

I disagree. I listen to Opie and Anthony on XM, and I literally have had to pull off the road cause I was laughing so hard.

#104 : April 14, 2007, 09:58:58 AM

Nappy headed is an insult?   I must be missing something here.    The Ho part is going over the line, but nappy headed seems harmless.

Nappy headed as defined in the dictionary isn't a racial slur but  colloquially it definitely is .

NEW YORK -- When Don Imus referred to the women of the Rutgers basketball team as "nappy-headed hos," he used what many consider the other n-word _ a slur that cuts deeper than many of the people unfamiliar with the word might realize.

"Nappy" has historically been a derogatory way of describing the natural hair texture of many people of African descent, hair that is tightly curled, and coarser than that of people of European descent.

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/wire/newyork/ny-bc-ny--nappyhair0413apr12,0,1582323.story?coll=ny-region-apnewyork
Page: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Don Imus is a gold medal olympic idiot. « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools