Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Don Imus is a gold medal olympic idiot. « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9

alstott40

Pro Bowler

#30 : April 10, 2007, 10:58:18 AM

hes just not funny

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#31 : April 10, 2007, 12:06:12 PM

BTW, politicians go on his show because enough of the "right" people watch the show,
supposedly. And the ratings are decent. If nobody watched then no guest would be on
the show.

As bad as this case is, is it really any different then ESPN running "Where are all the African American players in baseball"? or the "Where are all the African American Golfers"  segments all this and last week.  As long as press keeps pointing out all the differences society will never have acceptance.

Huh? Not even close to the same thing. Glad the press doesn't just ignore the racial problem our society
still faces.

klb55

Starter

#32 : April 10, 2007, 01:09:04 PM

There is a real simple solution, don't listen. 

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#33 : April 10, 2007, 01:16:03 PM

I don't.

I'm not calling for his firing and I'm not calling for his suspension. But I won't
complain if his suspension turns into a firing. It's not my place to punish Don
Imus. His employer does that.

Boid  posted the story and people are responding. If you don't like what we're
posting, don't read it.

That's the simple solution.

klb55

Starter

#34 : April 10, 2007, 01:30:42 PM

I don't.

I'm not calling for his firing and I'm not calling for his suspension. But I won't

Boid posted the story and people are responding. If you don't like what we're
posting, don't read it.

That's the simple solution.

My post was not directed at you.  It was a general response to the complaining about his remarks.  Who cares what an idiot like Don Imus thinks?  People need to define themselves as opposed to being worried about being defined by the likes of an idiot like Imus.  People who are easily offended are very insecure and have very low self-esteem.  Maybe, if I had Al and Jesse telling me for my entire life that I'm a victim and it's impossible for me to achieve anything because of the blue-eyed devils I'd be offended too. 

BucJam07

Hall of Famer

#35 : April 10, 2007, 01:41:21 PM

I found it funny to see the Rutgers team feeling a need to hold a press conference. This situation is ridiculusly spinning into a circus like atmosphere. Hannity & Colmes had a black comedian on their show last night, and even he said that for a guy to say this in the way he did it was obviously in a joking manner. The media is just searching for a story to me. As a white dude, I can really care less. How about all the rappers on MTV and BET calling woman **CENSORED**es and hoes for our kids to hear? Their musuc is on FM radio all day. I guess that is acceptable since they're black. Well I'm offended because there was a white girl on one of the videos. 

You Can't Spell SCUM Without The

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#36 : April 10, 2007, 02:02:51 PM

I don't.

How's this jell with your ROD stance? You were much less interested in seeing someone you agreed with crucified whereas here you just "won't complain". Typical of most folks where free speech is about everyone who agrees with what they think.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#37 : April 10, 2007, 02:04:01 PM

kib, just sent you Hour 1 of Dames.

Imus has said some controversial things in the past. I don't know why this time is any different.
To me, he's unlistenable.

Either way, NBC can what they want with him.

The team holding a press conference is ridiculous.

klb55

Starter

#38 : April 10, 2007, 02:13:47 PM

kib, just sent you Hour 1 of Dames.

Imus has said some controversial things in the past. I don't know why this time is any different.

Either way, NBC can what they want with him.

The team holding a press conference is ridiculous.

ufojoe........I'm listening to it now ....thanks a lot

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#39 : April 10, 2007, 02:15:03 PM

He;s horrible beyond all possible explanation. I have no idea how he has a listener base.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#40 : April 10, 2007, 02:23:39 PM

I don't.

How's this jell with your ROD stance? You were much less interested in seeing someone you agreed with crucified whereas here you just "won't complain". Typical of most folks where free speech is about everyone who agrees with what they think.

I think news shows and blogs and newspapers are overreacting to the Imus thing.
Just like Scarborough and O'Reilly overreacted with ROD.

Some of what I wrote on ROD in the other thread...

ABC can fire her whenever they feel like.

I think Scarborough can keep doing shows on Rosie. But I won't watch.
I think he looks foolish and gets a lot of the details wrong. But, I have no problem with him
doing shows on this. Just don't think his audience cares. Ratings will show.

I think Rosie will continue to get more viewers to the show. If the opposite happens, she'll
be gone.

hoodsbucs

Pro Bowler
#41 : April 10, 2007, 02:25:52 PM

Hey guys...I just wrote this in response to page 2's article on ESPN

"He is routinely offensive to people of color and women"

He is also routinely offensive to people who are not colored and who are not females, but when he speaks out about a womens basketball team, who is primarily made up of black women, thats when his words come under fire. (Again, what he said was out of line, but look who said it...This is why he has been on the air for so long)

I understand the point you are making but its hard not to look at Hip Hop/Rap or TV shows such as Maury, or even stand-up comedians as other factors in this matter.  Hip Hop depicts women, generally African Americans, as being subjects to to these types of words Imus used.  Its a double standard.  Watch the videos.  They are in skimpy bikinis, have money thrown at them, shaking their "rumps" into the camera, being degrated by people of their own skin color nonetheless.  The list goes on.  Maury routinely has guests that dont know who the father is, and the women are consistently called "ho's" by their boyfriends, lovers, or ex's, and this show is aired twice a day, seven days a week.  Yet, where is the outcry when this is happening on a daily basis? Stand-up comedians have been making fun of their own cultures for years.  What makes Don Imus different is, he's not as funny as a typical comedian, and because he's an outspoken white male, it comes under closer scrutiny.  

If the Rutgers women are looking for black, white, purple, green, or whatever your race is, to be treated as respected women, how can we do so, when our whole society is subject to such distaste as this?

Imus IS to blame for the words he said.  He should however, not be blamed for the termonology he used that has been associated with the community we live in as Americans today.

Flame away!

#42 : April 10, 2007, 02:39:17 PM

When a group of young hard working women that are predominately black are playing by the rules to work themselves up the ladder of society are held out for humiliation on national TV by being called whores and racially degraded, that is a legitimate issue and Imus should be held accountable for his words and the meaning behind those words. Looking at the history and struggle of women and blacks in society and it doesn't require a Phd. to realize the incendiary and inflammatory weight behind his "joke". Discrimination in society is real has been for hundreds of years. Words mean things, if they didn't then slander would not be a legitimate legal argument. Imus is a doddering old fool and has clearly out lived his usefulness on the air.

Lynch47

Hall of Famer

#43 : April 10, 2007, 02:51:24 PM

It is a double standard when it comes to hip hop and the words that are used by rappers

klb55

Starter

#44 : April 10, 2007, 03:00:01 PM

When a group of young hard working women that are predominately black are playing by the rules to work themselves up the ladder of society are held out for humiliation on national TV by being called whores and racially degraded, that is a legitimate issue and Imus should be held accountable for his words and the meaning behind those words. Looking at the history and struggle of women and blacks in society and it doesn't require a Phd. to realize the incendiary and inflammatory weight behind his "joke". Discrimination in society is real has been for hundreds of years. Words mean things, if they didn't then slander would not be a legitimate legal argument. Imus is a doddering old fool and has clearly out lived his usefulness on the air.

Do you think that Rap Artist's "should be held accountable" for degrading women?  They certainly influence more young, impressionable minds then Imus.  Rap artists degrade millions as opposed to 8 or 10 people.  I don't see people picketing record labels or rap artists.  Do you see the irony?  This is an issue because of Imus' race and the fact he insulted a small number of identifiable people who can now be paraded around the media.  What a joke.    
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Don Imus is a gold medal olympic idiot. « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools