Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The Official Atlanta Braves Thread « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 40

MBF

Hall of Famer

« #30 : April 09, 2007, 06:35:22 PM »

Not really that big of a deal if Cormier pitches like he did down the stretch of last year. He won't get many K's but he gives us a chance to win games. And if Redman can hold down fort at No.4 I'll be happy.

MBF

Hall of Famer

« #31 : April 09, 2007, 06:41:13 PM »

The Braves suck!
You better not be a **CENSORED**, because there a bunch of Rays fans that can bring up "KAZMIR FOR ZAMBRANO".

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

« #32 : April 09, 2007, 07:03:49 PM »

I wasn't counting on Hampton anyway.

I think if James and Hudson pitch well we'll be fine.  SMoltz is going to be good, you know that.  Hudson needs to rebound and James improve on his good rookie year.  If that happens we are going to win a bunch of games.  Then whatever we get out of Cormier, Davies and Redman at 4 and 5 is an added Bonus.  IMO Davies and Cormier will be taking those spots over and Redman will be out.  Davies is actually a nice sleeper right now.

BucJam07

Hall of Famer

« #33 : April 09, 2007, 10:47:31 PM »

I maybe the only person who thinks this about Rafael Furcal.(I hope not)

He may have great speed but as far as a true base stealer he is far short. The guy doesn't read pitchers well enough to get consistent jumps on each attempt. He may steal 40-50 bases a few times, but with his speed, he doesn't make it look nearly as easy as he should. With his talents he should be getting 70-80 bases a year. Also he hits to many line drives and fly balls when he does actually make contact, until he learns to be more patient and hit the ball more on the ground he'll never be a great leadoff hitter with a high OBP. I'll take a guy with a .450+ OBP and BA around .320 with minimal stolen bases at leadoff over a guy who bats .270 with 40 steals and a bad OBP. Not saying Furcy's OBP is that bad but I watched enough of his uppercut swing to know he'll take some time before he changes. All leadoff hitters should swing like Kenny Lofton or Ichiro. I think Kelly Johnson with his patience can hit the ball on the ground enough to capture a solid OBP in front of Rent, Chip, and Druw.The Braves offense will carry this team this year. Much to the dismay of the National Writers who wrote them off again in '07. B. McCann for MVP.

You Can't Spell SCUM Without The

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

« #34 : April 09, 2007, 11:05:47 PM »

I agree once KJ settles in he'll have a nice OBP for this team.  Him and Renteria are capable of running a bit, maybe 20 SB's or so for KJ and Renteria can get close to 30 if we let him run more.  From what I hear Cox wants to run more this year so we'll see.

I disagree a bit on hitting carrying the team - to a certain extent.  I think the hitting will do great but the team is fairly well balanced and the pitching, mainly the relief pitching will carry the team.  So far this year the them has been keep the games close, get to the pen and either hold them off or score late to win.  The pen has allowed us to do this.  The starters outside of the Redman start have been very good.  The teams strength is in the BP, so we need to have the starters get us to the 7th with a lead or within a run or 2 and we will win a lot of games.

BucJam07

Hall of Famer

« #35 : April 09, 2007, 11:17:57 PM »

I believe it's likely to see our young starters pitch 6 innings on average. So yes the BP had to upgraded, which from what I can see has happened very fast. But I think the Braves are gonna score a ton of runs this year. I think they'll top out in the top ten most runs scored. Which would make the offense the backbone of the team. Yes us fans who know the game can see through the lines and know it wasn't completely without pitching. I just hope Smoltzy and Hudson can get some runs scored on their days on the mound. Last year pissed me off. 10 no decisions with 6 blown saves on Smoltz's games is rediculas. He went into the 7th in 8 of these games also.

BucJam07

Hall of Famer

« #36 : April 09, 2007, 11:22:00 PM »

We agree Rays, the BP will decide a great amount of our success this year. As long as our closer does his job, we'll be around 88+ wins.

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

« #37 : April 09, 2007, 11:32:38 PM »

We were something like 4th in runs scored last year, how did that work our for us?  

Hitting will be a big factor no doubt, but the BP is going to carry this team.  When the bats are cold the Pen needs to keep it close.  So far that has worked.  The last 2 games have been prime examples of this, especially the game yesterday.

With the SP's we have there are likely to be a lot of times when we give up 5-6 runs early, and have to go to the pen in the 6th or so.  With our pen now we can keep the opponent at that score to allow out bats time to catch up.  Likewise when we have a lead late in games die to a good Smoltz outing, we now have a Pen to shut the door.  We had around 29 blown saves last year, tops in the league and I wouldn't be surprised to see that number less than half this year.  That's the difference between winning your division and making the playoffs.  Hitting can get you some wins, but as last year proved without a good BP you aren't  going to win enough.  If this team is to go anywhere out Bullpen is going to take it there.  In this day and age of specialization your bullpen just may be the most important part of a team.  It shows in the scarcity of quality arms and what they command in the market.  Hell, we gave away a 20 something 1B coming off a breakout year for a BP lefty.  Says it all right there.

BucJam07

Hall of Famer

« #38 : April 09, 2007, 11:45:23 PM »

I didn't pay much attention to this past offseason so tell me. Laroche to the Pirates for who and Craig Wilson? CW hasn't been impresive yet. I know he's capable of a .260+ 20 homer platoon season. I hear he eats up left handed pitching. As far as Laroche, man I like the beautiful swing but he is a .260 guy with 20+ homers, and can't touch left handed pitching. Much like Ryan "Cholesteral" Klesko. Though Klesko was pretty solid a few HGH years back.

hoodsbucs

Pro Bowler
« #39 : April 10, 2007, 09:04:54 AM »

M E T S METS METS METS

MBF

Hall of Famer

« #40 : April 10, 2007, 10:32:34 AM »

Get your own thread son.

I believe we were 2nd in runs scored last year despite missing the playoffs. With McCann in good form, and with the good offensive totals we'll get from the Jones boys we should keep up in that department. The big key as far as SP goes will be Hudson getting back to form. If he can perform like the ace he's expected to be then we'll be a force.

BucJam07

Hall of Famer

« #41 : April 10, 2007, 11:24:41 AM »

Mets fans were all quiet for 14 years while they cheered for the Yankees. Now they have become Mets fans again. Funny.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

« #42 : April 10, 2007, 12:07:43 PM »

You obviously don't understand the dynamic between Mets and Yankees fans.

BucJam07

Hall of Famer

« #43 : April 10, 2007, 12:18:19 PM »

Yes I do, I was only making a joke...

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

« #44 : April 10, 2007, 12:27:12 PM »

There are some fans that do that. But for the most part, we hate each other!
  Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 40
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The Official Atlanta Braves Thread « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools