Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: an ABOMB from AROD « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 13

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#30 : April 09, 2007, 02:55:04 PM

Runs scored by Yankees vs. Detroit last year in the ALDS

Pitching is old and not what it used to be.

But their O failed them after game one and A Rod's struggles were part of it.
The entire team (except Jeter 8-16 and Posada 7-14) had an awful series.

Other Yankees struggled just as bad in that series but they have at least had
some extended success in previous post season games in previous years.

Have you ever seen Jeter struggle like this when the pressure increased
in the post season? Gee, if the pressure and fans were so bad in NY, why
wouldn't Jeter or the others struggle as bad?

Answer: They can handle the pressure. So far A Rod has shown that he
cannot.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs2006/news/story?id=2616957

Just like last year, Rodriguez was AWOL when the Yankees needed him most, going 1-for-14 with no RBI as the Yankees were eliminated in four games by the Detroit Tigers, the second straight first-round exit for New York.

Rodriguez, baseball's $252 million man, was dropped to eighth in the batting order for the first time in a decade for Saturday's 8-3 season-ending loss.

He was hitless in his final 12 at-bats, dropping to 4-for-41 (.098) with no RBIs in his last 12 postseason games. He made 24 errors during the regular season, tops among AL third baseman, and his third-inning error on Magglio Ordonez's routine grounder Saturday allowed the Tigers to add another run to what already was a 3-0 lead.

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#31 : April 09, 2007, 03:05:57 PM

Runs scored by Yankees vs. Detroit last year in the ALDS

Pitching is old and not what it used to be.

But their O failed them after game one and A Rod's struggles were part of it.
The entire team (except Jeter 8-16 and Posada 7-14) had an awful series.

Other Yankees struggled just as bad in that series but they have at least had
some extended success in previous post season games in previous years.

Have you ever seen Jeter struggle like this when the pressure increased
in the post season? Gee, if the pressure and fans were so bad in NY, why
wouldn't Jeter or the others struggle as bad?

Answer: They can handle the pressure. So far A Rod has shown that he
cannot.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs2006/news/story?id=2616957

Just like last year, Rodriguez was AWOL when the Yankees needed him most, going 1-for-14 with no RBI as the Yankees were eliminated in four games by the Detroit Tigers, the second straight first-round exit for New York.

Rodriguez, baseball's $252 million man, was dropped to eighth in the batting order for the first time in a decade for Saturday's 8-3 season-ending loss.

He was hitless in his final 12 at-bats, dropping to 4-for-41 (.098) with no RBIs in his last 12 postseason games. He made 24 errors during the regular season, tops among AL third baseman, and his third-inning error on Magglio Ordonez's routine grounder Saturday allowed the Tigers to add another run to what already was a 3-0 lead.

Jeter never had the pressure being put on him like A-rod.  A-rod is expected to do it all. Jeter made 2 errors the other day not a peep from the fans.  A-rod makes one and the boo birds are out.  Then he hits a HR to win and they love him. Pathetic.

In 98 Jeter hit .111 in the ALDS, and .200 in the ALCS. I bet the fans didn't get on him.  He then hit .353 in the WS.  If that's A-rod they would be all over him those first 2 series making a rebound in the WS less likely.

He hit .211 in the ALDS in 2000. 

In 2001 Jeter hit .118 in the ALCS and .148 in the WS.  Was he booed?  Nope.  They LOST that WS to AZ.

In that FAMOUS ALCS against Boston in 04, the one where the A-rod Beef started, Jeter batted .200.  Yet A-rod got all the blame when reality is Jeter sucked as well as the pitching. 

The fact is, Jeter HAS struggled in the playoffs and WS before as well.  The difference is the TEAMS Jeter was on in the past were much better TEAMS, so even when he struggled the Yanks still won so he didn't catch any heat.  Now that the Yankees are not a very good TEAM, A-rod has become the scapegoat for their problems.  Yes, he has struggled but the downpour of hate on him is pathetic and certainly doesn't help matters. 

Also, speaking of A-rods errors, when he cam to NYY he was a MUCH better defensive SS than Jeter.  Did Jeter switch?  Nope.  Even though Jeter moving would likely make the Yankees a better TEAM, he stayed put forcing A-rod to move.  A-rod has struggled at 3rd.  Does Jeter offer to try and move to help the TEAM?  Nope.  He stays.  A-rod still struggles, and they are a worse TEAM for it. 

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#32 : April 09, 2007, 04:54:51 PM

Jeter has come through in the clutch many times for the Yankees in huge spots
in the playoffs. He gets a pass (99% of the time) when he struggles. In the
minds of Yankees fans, he has earned that pass.

Besides his first series against Minnesota, A Rod has not earned jack,
post-season-wise.

Case closed. It's just that simple.

I won't defend Yankees' fans more than I have to because I have seen some pretty
awful fans the few times I have been to YS. Obnoxious.

Yankees fans are the same as you and I except that they were born in an environment
(NY) that shaped their attitude and they have been spoiled with success. Put many of
us in that same environment/situation and we might be like that too.

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#33 : April 09, 2007, 05:03:51 PM

Jeter has come through in the clutch many times for the Yankees in huge spots
in the playoffs. He gets a pass (99% of the time) when he struggles. In the
minds of Yankees fans, he has earned that pass.

Besides his first series against Minnesota, A Rod has not earned jack,
post-season-wise.

Case closed. It's just that simple.

I won't defend Yankees' fans more than I have to because I have seen some pretty
awful fans the few times I have been to YS. Obnoxious.

Yankees fans are the same as you and I except that they were born in an environment
(NY) that shaped their attitude and they have been spoiled with success. Put many of
us in that same environment/situation and we might be like that too.

The Yankees problems recently have been far and away much more than A-rod.  The fact that Yankees fans use him as a scapegoat and don't realize the other issues is the problem.  A-rod has endured much more than anyone should and it's a wonder he even does as well as he does there.  I hope he leaves after this year and goes somewhere he is appreciated.  It wouldn't surprise me at all if he left and went somewhere and had postseason success.

#34 : April 09, 2007, 06:05:06 PM

No, he doesn't.

And I don't think you do either.

The Yankees need pitching. Pitching is the problem, and has been for some time now. Yet every year the Yankees add a bat or 2 or 3 and think they can just out-score everyone. I don't think it has worked for about 6-7 years now.

A-rod has struggled some in the playoffs but the pitching concerns have been more of an issue.

I am sure bashing A-rod in the stands and papers doesn't help him much either.

You got it Ray

You see, the Yankees have just started to realize that good pitching doesnt ocme easy. Successful pitching staffs are created from homegrown talent.

The YAnkees were just so used to giving away all their minor league talent that they figured they could just buy pitching also. It doesnt work that way. So finally the Yanks have gone the smart route and held onto Phillip Hughes as well as adding Humberto Sanchez, a guy I really like a lot.

I cant believe YAnkees fans actually blame the Yankees demise in the playoffs on A Rod when they have hitters like gimabi, Jeter, Matsui, Cano, Posada, Damon, Cabrera, Abreu, Sheffield batting around the guy. How funny is that?

O and ICIT I completely understand why the Yankees fans hate A Rod. It is because legends are built in NY by performing in the playoffs. Which is why Brosius, O' Neil, Tino, Jeter, Rivera, Pettite, etc are all Yankee legends. Yankees fans hatethe fact that A Rod makes so much money (although Im not sure how much of it NY actually pays him), and he is ONLy hitting 35 HR with 120 RBI per year. Like I said, I am jealous and I wish I knew what it felt like to hate a guy who put up those numbers. Yankees fans are being ignorant and short sighted, A Rod is a stud and if you compare his numbers to other 3B that have doned pinstripes over the last 50 years Im sure youll see where he stands. But 15 ABs in October defines this guy

#35 : April 09, 2007, 06:10:32 PM

O and dont just cast our opinions aside like we cant relate because we arent Yankees fans. We arent idiots, and I think its pretty insulting. My entire family is from NY, my cousin remains a diehard Yankee fan, me and my dad have had season tickets to the Yankees ST in Tampa for 10 years and my favorite player in MLB since Fred McGriff retired has been Jeter.

I have a complete understanding for the A Rod situation. And I have heard from MANY New Yorkers at the spring training games who hate A Rod. I was talking to a fire fighetr from teh Bronx a few weks ago at the game and I knew exactly why he hated A Rod. It doesnt mean he was right. So dont just assume that since we disagree with your thoughts on A Rod, that we just dont have this understanding that you do.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#36 : April 09, 2007, 07:33:34 PM

I just deleted my response. I've said enough. My opinion is what it is.
Not going to waste any more time on a team that I despise.

InChuckyITrust

Hall of Famer

#37 : April 09, 2007, 11:04:34 PM

Joe, I am a life long CT resident, and I have been going to the Bronx for the last 16 years.  Even checked out a double header Mets vs Cards at flushing a few years back ;)

You all made some good points.  ARod needs to succeed when the game is on the line, and he'll be cut some slack.  I think he has produced like 2 runs in the last 2 post seasons series.  I'd like to see Ray try to defend him for that.

No one said the yankees problems were solely ARods playoff performance, but it is certainly part of it. 

Grudens Corner, you mention something about Arod vs other yankee 3Bs.  Nettles is the hands down best yankee 3B in recent history and until ARod does something in the Playoffs it will continue to be that way.

NY isnt for everyone.  You see some guys thrive here, and some will struggle.  This year is going to determine ARods future, wether it will be in NY or somewhere else.  Personally, I dont like him (more because of his ego and obsession with being DJ than his poor performance in October) and if the Yankees could somehow find a way to trade him for an arm or to I would be fine with it.  With that said, there virtually no way to trade him since he can opt out of his contract and go wherever he wants. 

I personally think ARod will have a good year, and do better in the playoffs.  He'll retire in the bronx, for better or wose.

"there are no medals here for who can stay at the office the longest," said Jagodzinski. "I'm not into that. The guys that brag about working till 2 in the morning, in my opinion, they're just not smart enough. "

18,2,25,13 ... murderers row?

I support coach Calhoun and his salary

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#38 : April 09, 2007, 11:19:12 PM

I don't think Arod wants to be Jeter at all.  I think he wants to be liked and can you blame him?  I think most people do.  I think he is baffled (like the rest of us) with how he is treated even though he has produced well, outside the playoffs.  But he was being booed and ripped before his 1st ever postseason appearance anyway.  He has been scrutinized from day 1.

I think he was set up to fail from day 1.  He was brought to be the savior but was never treated fairly from the get go.  He was forced to switch from a position he was a superior fielder at. Then when he struggles he is booed.  A true captain would realize the team is better of with Arod at SS and Jeter at 2B or even 3rd.  Jeter never offered.  Of course he wouldn't want Arod to come in and be better than him at SS, and him be the one to struggle at a new spot. 

Again, I wonder if the fans and media weren't on his back from the first bad play, if he would have had more success in the postseason.  I wonder if Jeter would have been the one to switch, if Arod and the Yanks all would have been better off.

I will have all the respect in the world for Arod if he opts out and goes somewhere else for less money.  That will be the issue.  If he opts out he's  not going to get a better deal.  SO he will have to take a pay cut.  If he does that he will be well respected by myself and probably a lot of others.  I hope he leaves and goes somewhere for less money but a place where he is appreciated and put in a spot where he has the best chance for success.

BucJam07

Hall of Famer

#39 : April 09, 2007, 11:26:43 PM

I haven't felt bad for any Yankee ever. But it's hard not to feel bad for a guy who hits 36 HR and plays a solid 3rd base and still gets no love from the supposed loyal Yankee slums.

You Can't Spell SCUM Without The

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#40 : April 09, 2007, 11:28:30 PM

After Ray's post, I really feel bad for A Rod. I'm actually crying now. Poor Alex. :-(

I cant believe YAnkees fans actually blame the Yankees demise in the playoffs on A Rod when they have hitters like gimabi, Jeter, Matsui, Cano, Posada, Damon, Cabrera, Abreu, Sheffield batting around the guy. How funny is that?

Listen to FAN and 1050ESPN radio out of NY and you'll see that's not true. Fans realize the
other problems and they state so when they call in. And yes, they ARE extremely frustrated
with A Rod's lack of production in the post season. And I can't blame them.

How 'bout that Jimmy Rollins and his, "Phillies are the team to beat in the NL East" quip?

InChuckyITrust

Hall of Famer

#41 : April 09, 2007, 11:34:22 PM

I haven't felt bad for any Yankee ever. But it's hard not to feel bad for a guy who hits 36 HR and plays a solid 3rd base and still gets no love from the supposed loyal Yankee slums.

Those yankee slums you refer to are the most loyal, dedicated fans in sports.

WE are the ones who fund this team, and everything that goes into it.  If we want to boo, we will boo.

I pay ALOT of money for my season ticket package.  And I do so with pride because I am supporting the MOST successful franchise in american sports history.  

Like Joe explained, you dont understand NY sports (especially baseball) until you have been a part of it on some level.  We expect our guys to execute and if they dont then theyre gonna hear about it, and if they dont consistantly they are really gonna hear about it.  If you dont like it, do what Ray said, take less money, go play for a team that wins 90 games 3 times in 10 years, win your MVPs, make allstar games, and stfu.  This city is about WINNING, and if you cant take the pressure that comes with that, fair or unfair, you can leave.

"there are no medals here for who can stay at the office the longest," said Jagodzinski. "I'm not into that. The guys that brag about working till 2 in the morning, in my opinion, they're just not smart enough. "

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#42 : April 09, 2007, 11:37:43 PM

Yeah, that's it ufojoe.  Way to be a smarty pants.

I thought you were done with this issue?

As for Rollins, he must not have gotten the memo.  You know, the one where the Braves SWEPT Philly in Philly, and took 2 of 3 from the Mets this past weekend.  It's going to be the Braves and Mets winning the East and WC (in some order), sorry Jimmy!

InChuckyITrust

Hall of Famer

#43 : April 09, 2007, 11:38:05 PM

4-for-41 (.098) with no RBIs in his last 12 postseason games.

need we say anymore?  

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#44 : April 09, 2007, 11:40:12 PM

Yeah, that's it ufojoe. �Way to be a smart butt.

Isn't that implied profanity? :-)
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 13
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: an ABOMB from AROD « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools