Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Calvin Johnson is the best player in this draft!!! « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 7 8 9

Uncle Stan

Hall of Famer
#120 : April 11, 2007, 09:11:52 AM

MBF,

I should have said it differently about the piece to the puzzle. I was talking strickly about the OL.

Sorry about that.

Same can be said about a WR and LB/CB.

I am not putting down CJ as a player-my whole point is about the position and I think history has born me out.

Learn to disagree without being disagreeable-Ronald Reagan circa 1981

#121 : April 11, 2007, 10:53:26 AM

JT or go Defense,

If JT is gone and CJ is there, then you take CJ. 

#122 : April 11, 2007, 03:21:31 PM

But a franchise left tackle (as a final piece to the puzzle) can.

But we're not one player away from contending. And it's not like you're getting a top tier LT in his prime that has proven to be a great player. You're  getting a rookie, who knows if he can do well against bigger and stronger DE's. (BTW I'm indifferent as to who I want to see picked, I like both JT and CJ)

And that's why CJ isn't as valuable as JT.

That's what Petitgout's role will then become- insurance against JT busting or injured and a possible move to G. Years from now all you young bucks (Bucs :)) will get it (and I say this as a general statement to this board).

This isn't Madden. High draft pick players at high profile positions fill the seats and in many cases that's where the greater value lies. One player does not a team make.......and very few times are they the difference over the course of a season as to winning or losing.   Like Uncle Stan says, the games are won in the trenches and there is where you build from, the o-line and the d-line.

Right now, at #4, I think JT is the right guy and I hope he's there. I like CJ, but JT has more value, that's all.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#123 : April 11, 2007, 03:35:12 PM

CJ should only be an option is Quinn, Russel and JT are off the board.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

#124 : April 11, 2007, 03:55:40 PM

CJ should only be an option is Quinn, Russel and JT are off the board.

Has anyone ever had 23 QBs on the roster.   ???

gone

Hall of Famer
#125 : April 11, 2007, 04:35:13 PM

The Buccaneers need thise extra picks because they need players for an aging defense. That is why trading up for any player would be counterproductive to rebuilding the team. That is were your logic is flawed.

Flawed? in what way? Having extra picks guarantees no more of a successful draft than having a top 5 pick. We had 22 picks the last 2 years. 22 PICKS. Thats 8 more picks than most teams have had. How many out of those 22 are gonna stick?

Caddy - He's one year away from being a bust, 2 years and 7 TD's aint gettin it done pal
Alex Smith- decent player, nothing that scares any defense, but an okay average TE
Maurice Stovall - A #3 WR at best, he'll be lucky to be in the NFL in 4 years from now
Jermey Trueblood - Jurys still out on the guy, picked way to high. could flip a coin on him
Davin Joseph - Best pick we made in 5 years

So outta those 22 players, I see basically 2 starters that are good players. Joseph and Smith

Hopefully Caddy and Trueblood pan out.

Te rest of the draft, those guys will not have careers in the NFL. 

You're trying to sit here and tell me you wouldnt trade 3-4 picks to moveup and get one of the best players at his position to ever come out?

Calvin Johnson is better than every single pick we've made the last 2 years. And If I could trade Caddy, Clayton and Trueblood for Calvin Johnson I'd do it in a second. Calvin Johnson > our last 22 picks. And it aint even close

Here's the simple answer:

What do the Faders, Lions, Browns and Bucs all have in common - explosive skill players

Would you care to share with the rest of us on who exactlly do we have that is explosive? Cause I cant find one player that is. Calvin Johnson would be tho'

Actually we've run the math on this one, and having extra picks increases your odds.  Dal even posted an analysis from Dartmouth on the success rates round by round.  I can't find the link for that but maybe he'll post it again...

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#126 : April 11, 2007, 04:55:02 PM

But a franchise left tackle (as a final piece to the puzzle) can.

But we're not one player away from contending. And it's not like you're getting a top tier LT in his prime that has proven to be a great player. You're getting a rookie, who knows if he can do well against bigger and stronger DE's. (BTW I'm indifferent as to who I want to see picked, I like both JT and CJ)
  The two biggest needs this team had last year were qb and Oline.  Both sucked pond water.  FA has been used to improve both - hopefully.  The moves enable to the bucs to go either way if either JT/CJ is there.  We will see.  But if one does not see the rationale for LOT over WR after the explanations given by so many there is no answer for them.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#127 : April 11, 2007, 04:59:31 PM

Would you care to share with the rest of us on who exactlly do we have that is explosive? Cause I cant find one player that is. Calvin Johnson would be tho'

I don't know, Galloway isn't "explosive" for you? 17.0 ypc last year doesn't float your boat? It better since it is by far the best ypc of all the WR's in the top 30 in the league.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#128 : April 11, 2007, 05:01:32 PM

Actually we've run the math on this one, and having extra picks increases your odds.  Dal even posted an analysis from Dartmouth on the success rates round by round.  I can't find the link for that but maybe he'll post it again...

http://faculty.fuqua.duke.edu/~cadem/bio/massey%20&%20thaler%20-%20loser's%20curse.pdf

Duke not dartmouth but the same effect.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#129 : April 11, 2007, 06:49:29 PM

Dal - I don't know how or why someone would have that site - but from you am not surprised. 

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

gone

Hall of Famer
#130 : April 11, 2007, 07:28:17 PM

Thanks Dal.

frankbuc

Second String
#131 : April 11, 2007, 07:50:04 PM

Is CJ a Andre Johnson clone? or is that just my imagination...they have similar size and speed I believe.................I think that would be a good thing if I am not mistaken
Page: 1 ... 7 8 9
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Calvin Johnson is the best player in this draft!!! « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools