Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Calvin Johnson is the best player in this draft!!! « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9

MarleyMon81

Hall of Famer

#30 : April 09, 2007, 07:55:12 PM

Im with you on that. I am not sold on Thomas,at all

It might also be said Fresh, that some aren't totally sold on the "once in a decade WR talent" that CJ has been labeled.  Granted the dude seems almost too good to be true.  He's going to be special no doubt and would look great in pewter and red.  Just not sure he's going to be this talent unlike the league has ever seen.

It's not that I'm not sold on Thomas, I think he could be a good LT for the Bucs for years to come.  Nothing flashy, just a solid wall on that left side, much like another former Wisconsin LT the Bucs picked in the 1st round.

Fresh

Hall of Famer

#31 : April 09, 2007, 07:59:09 PM

Irving Freyer and Keyshawn Johnson aren't duds though,but they aren't total studs either.

Quote from: True Playa
I'm a playa from way back and playa's gotta play. I'm straight pimpin'. Southside OG's keep it real. Represent the third coast.

MarleyMon81

Hall of Famer

#32 : April 09, 2007, 07:59:24 PM

No wide out taken no. 1 has amounted to anything in the NFL.

Don't know if you can lump them all into that catagory.  Key had a pretty solid career as the #1 pick in 1996.  Maybe not a flashy WR, but a darn good one.

But it does show the value of a WR at #1 overall.  Key was taken #1 in 1996, traded 4 years later for 2 #1 picks, traded 4 years later for another high 1st round WR (Galloway), released a year later, signed with his 4th team.

The Raiders may want CJ, but I don't think they want to spend the #1 pick on him. Unfortunately for them, if they want him, they'll have to grab him at #1 to ensure they don't out smart their own FO with trade downs.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#33 : April 09, 2007, 07:59:31 PM

why would the Raiders spent another high draft pick on a Center when they drafted Jake Grove 2 years ago?

Fresh

Hall of Famer

#34 : April 09, 2007, 08:00:21 PM

Lets do the poll. I would be shocked to see JT favored over CJ.

We had one already, it got to three pages and JT was 3:1 at least.
Why do yall favor JT?

I'm a playa from way back and playa's gotta play. I'm straight pimpin'. Southside OG's keep it real. Represent the third coast.

#35 : April 09, 2007, 08:02:18 PM

why would the Raiders spent another high draft pick on a Center when they drafted Jake Grove 2 years ago?

Never try and second-guess the Raiders.  If you only learn one thing from this board, take that with you through life my friend.   ;)

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#36 : April 09, 2007, 08:06:07 PM

Getting the no. 1 overall is not done by lottery, the faders had to lose a lot of games to get it.  Now we will see if they manage to screw it up like everything else they have touched since giving up Gruden.  If coming here to say we are gonna get stuck with Joe Thomas and an elite DT or DE was supposed to in someway affect me, well it did.  I would be estatic.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

LawFitz

Rookie

#37 : April 09, 2007, 08:09:10 PM

The real joke is your team  :D

Don't drive angry...

Look man, the truth is you guys would be SO LUCKY to get the best WR to ever come into the NFL draft.  Will he be a HOFer?  Nothing is certain, BUT he has the physical tools, background and personality to be the greatest WR of all time.  Yep, he's that freakin good.  The closest comp to this kid would be Larry Fitzgerald (who is an absolute stud) except you need to take add elite breakaway speed, two inches in height, twenty pounds on the scale, and about 8 inches of vertical leaping ability.

To be a physical freak is one thing.  CJ is more than that.  He's also a good character guy and MOST IMPORTANTLY, a good football player.  Look at his body control and hands on film.  The guy is amazing in his ability to adjust to poorly thrown balls and make acrobatic catches.

As far as the Raiders go, don't talk them too far down despite the last few years.  They've quietly amassed a VERY talented defense that is just one run-stuffing DT away from being elite.  And their offense has more talent than you might think.  They will be much better this year on O, now that they've jettisoned their bed-and-breakfast O Coordinator and their cheeseburger obsessed head coach.  Kiffen will bring the offense back to the 21st century, where Gruden left off. 

MVP

Pro Bowler

#38 : April 09, 2007, 08:11:39 PM

Why do yall favor JT?

Historically Tackles have a lower bust rate then WRs who have an almost 50/50 chance of panning out. Add to that the fact that the best LT will never hit the open market and you have a position that is of very high value. Could you imagine if Walter Jones or Ogden hit the market. But the reality is a situation like that would stay in your imagination cause it will never happen.

Some people say that because of Gallery the Bucs should shy away from Thomas. But you only have so few chances at finding an elite LT that you have to take your shot when its there. The Bucs would be in great shape with a good line if Clayton and Cadillac round back to form. A good LT will help more then another WR. Because if defenses can reach the QB it won't matter how good your WR are. Just ask Arizona  

LawFitz

Rookie

#39 : April 09, 2007, 08:17:04 PM

If coming here to say we are gonna get stuck with Joe Thomas and an elite DT or DE was supposed to in someway affect me, well it did.  I would be estatic.

Actually, you may not even get Thomas if either the Lions or Browns are smart enough to see that Quinn is not elite and JaBustus is a major boom or bust type.  Both of those QBs are way overrated.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#40 : April 09, 2007, 08:20:01 PM

You could be right, and then again with Al in charge you could end up with JaMarcus.  Hope you are readily available on draft day.  LMAO at a troll wannabe.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

MVP

Pro Bowler

#41 : April 09, 2007, 08:20:59 PM

The real joke is your team :D

Don't drive angry...

Look man, the truth is you guys would be SO LUCKY to get the best WR to ever come into the NFL draft. Will he be a HOFer? Nothing is certain, BUT he has the physical tools, background and personality to be the greatest WR of all time. Yep, he's that freakin good. The closest comp to this kid would be Larry Fitzgerald (who is an absolute stud) except you need to take add elite breakaway speed, two inches in height, twenty pounds on the scale, and about 8 inches of vertical leaping ability.

To be a physical freak is one thing. CJ is more than that. He's also a good character guy and MOST IMPORTANTLY, a good football player. Look at his body control and hands on film. The guy is amazing in his ability to adjust to poorly thrown balls and make acrobatic catches.

As far as the Raiders go, don't talk them too far down despite the last few years. They've quietly amassed a VERY talented defense that is just one run-stuffing DT away from being elite. And their offense has more talent than you might think. They will be much better this year on O, now that they've jettisoned their bed-and-breakfast O Coordinator and their cheeseburger obsessed head coach. Kiffen will bring the offense back to the 21st century, where Gruden left off.

I give the Raiders the benefit of the doubt Fitz. Alot of Bucs fans have their eyes as large as dinner plates when looking at CJ too.
The problem is that most every year there is one guy who is so incredible and amazing that he can't fail, but he does. Don't you rememver a guy on your team by the name of Gallery? You have to look at the cold facts and WRs are not the difference makers that take teams to the next level. CJ could become the exception but if you think that tears will be flowing in Tampa bay if he is gone then you are wrong.

Fresh

Hall of Famer

#42 : April 09, 2007, 08:22:41 PM

Why do yall favor JT?

Historically Tackles have a lower bust rate then WRs who have an almost 50/50 chance of panning out. Add to that the fact that the best LT will never hit the open market and you have a position that is of very high value. Could you imagine if Walter Jones or Ogden hit the market. But the reality is a situation like that would stay in your imagination cause it will never happen.

Some people say that because of Gallery the Bucs should shy away from Thomas. But you only have so few chances at finding an elite LT that you have to take your shot when its there. The Bucs would be in great shape with a good line if Clayton and Cadillac round back to form. A good LT will help more then another WR. Because if defenses can reach the QB it won't matter how good your WR are. Just ask Arizona  
Yes,elite LT's never hit the market. Every year there is a Tackle,that is considered a "franchise" LT. These 6'5 WR freaks aren't produced each year unlike LT's.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#43 : April 09, 2007, 08:28:54 PM

And that Fresh is because it is hard to justify #1 overall money on a wr, bc they don't make the difference unless the team is very close to being at the top of the league.  WR is more of a finishing touch than a building block.  JMVHO

ktownbuc47

Pro Bowler

#44 : April 09, 2007, 08:30:12 PM

I have to agree that CJ is an unbeliveable talent. The only thing that would concern me about CJ is he is more fast than quick. In the NFL it's going to be a little tougher for him to seperate from the elite DB's. I still think he will be a star but not to the level others believe he will attain.

Why do you necessarily have to be wrong just because a few million people think you are?
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Calvin Johnson is the best player in this draft!!! « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools