Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Watched the tape of the Eagles game - Really concerned in some areas defensively « previous next »
Page: 1 2

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

: October 25, 2006, 10:49:41 AM

Couldn't believe what I saw when watching it again slowing down each play.

- The defnesive line was getting mauled the entire game. Either the Eagles o-line is spectacular, or the Bucs d-line has become garbage. I'm not a pro scout and don't claim to be one but one thing that really stood out to me was the pad-level of the d-line. Rod's big stink always was pad-level, I just don't think it's a focus right now.
The Eagles were punishing at the point of attack which never really happened before.

- Hovan was late getting out of his stance all day. Not sure what this is attributed to but it was very evident.

- Spires was getting abused by Runyan, eaten alive. He was pushing him back 4-5 yards on running plays, again going back to pad-level, IMVHO.   

- The missed tackles are because of poor technique, obviously. Looking at most of them the guys are jumping at the ball carrier instead of wrapping up first. They were literally bouncing off the offensive players. It's disgusting and happened from the first drive until the end of the game.

- Brooks had a terrible game, had to be the worst in his career. He was late recognizing plays and missed numerous tackles besides the most obvious one.

Offense

- The o-line played a really good game. What stood out most was how low the pad level was. Very good to see.

- Alstott missed some key blocks throughout the game as FB. Those missed blocks led to Caddy getting murdered, it wasn't the o-line fault.

Defensively the Bucs are in trouble come Sunday. Just watching the game made me sick to my stomach. The Eagles rolled through that defense like they weren't there. Thank you Ronde f-ing Barber for scoring those TD"s because it would've been ugly if he hadn't. I understand it's the #1 offense but that was just pitiful. 

DefenseWins

Hall of Famer

#1 : October 25, 2006, 11:20:24 AM

The Defense needs rejuvination.

We need pressure from our front four, period.

It is a new day in TAMPA BAY!    GO BUCS!!

BUCarino

Pro Bowler

#2 : October 25, 2006, 11:22:15 AM

Yes, during the game that's what really stood out to me how our DL was getting manhandled, especially Greg Spires as he was nowhere near making a play the entire game.  We really never got any pressure on McNabb the entire game, Rice was close a couple of times, but that was usually after McNabb threw the ball.

"Life's too short not to live in caution,
But life's too long not to live at all!"

DBuc

Second String

#3 : October 25, 2006, 11:31:17 AM

I agree...The missed tackles were very dissappointing in that the cover 2 scheme forces everything to materialize in front of them and so sound fundamental tackling is essential...

I agree that we got manhandled up front and we need to address that in the offseason but the Eagles line is pretty good...As a matter of fact,  they also picked up Winston Justice and Max Jean-Giles in the draft.  Those guys aren't even starting yet...I thought the Eagles had a great offseason and are building their team the right way...up front on both sides of the ball...Bunkley (also not starting yet) and Patterson have beefed up that defensive line as well...

Gruden and Allen have made huge improvements to the o-line...next year will have to be defense

T

Hall of Famer

#4 : October 25, 2006, 03:26:48 PM

Defense looks pathetic, week in and week out. I'm glad McNabb's favorite target is wearing #20, or the Bucs would be 1-5.

corruptpirate

Pro Bowler

#5 : October 25, 2006, 03:37:23 PM

- Brooks had a terrible game, had to be the worst in his career. He was late recognizing plays and missed numerous tackles besides the most obvious one.

Sadly, Brooks is having lots of those lately  :( :(

#6 : October 25, 2006, 03:47:23 PM

Watched the tape of the Eagles game - Really concerned in some areas defensively

Are you sure you watched the same tape these guys watched?

http://www.buccaneers.com/intro.aspx

jk ;)

rocko23

Hall of Famer
#7 : October 25, 2006, 04:05:25 PM

yeah i saw the same thing the D is the weak link on this team, untill we get some young legs on D and really at LB, we are coming to get wacked!

#8 : October 25, 2006, 04:19:36 PM

yeah i saw the same thing the D is the weak link on this team, untill we get some young legs on D and really at LB, we are coming to get wacked!

Well, I don't think LB is particularly weak, but...I would correct you and say that it's not that the D is the weak link, it's that there is no strong point to this team right now.  We're very balanced.  :)

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#9 : October 25, 2006, 04:42:58 PM

Guys, it was disgusting to watch again. I was pissed off watching it, made me sick.

If any of you have the game recorded watch it again and break down each defensive play. The defense was HORRIFIC!!!!!!! Really, really bad. beyond anything I could've eve imagined.

CadillacPower24_2006

Practice Squad

#10 : October 25, 2006, 04:49:46 PM

D Def needs to step it up this weekend, play a full 60 min of football

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#11 : October 25, 2006, 05:01:04 PM

The defense in that game was good at the splash plays, but bad at stopping the key drives, and got lucky at the end of the first half.

It is disconcerting, espescially considering how much the veterans on the D have been saying they will find a way out of their situation (poor play).  Espescially DB.

Pick6

Hall of Famer
#12 : October 25, 2006, 05:08:26 PM

doesn't excuse most of what happened, but bear in mind that the eagles have been one of the most explosive offenses so far this year, and they've made alot of defenses look bad. i can see why they might win some physical battles, but that really doesn't excuse bad defensive reads, missed tackles, and not anticipating the snap....

the giants have the same film we fans have got, with far more time and paid professionals breaking it down, and this defense will be exploited if they don't fix what's ailing them.

bottom line, this defense has lost its mystique, and the psychological edge that made players and playcallers hesitant to go after us is pretty much gone.  we need to re-establish our tackling and the big defensive play and put together a complete game, and suddenly things will get a little easier.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#13 : October 25, 2006, 06:50:52 PM

I've watched it about three times now. I still can't find anything other than Barber's INT's for TD's that people in this forum can use to call it a stellar performance on defense. The Bucs defense was very fortunate that the Eagles had a number of big drops. Thank goodness for Ronde having McNabb's number.

richbucsfan

Starter

#14 : October 25, 2006, 07:05:53 PM

I guess like many of you, I was at the game.  When the Eagles mounted their comeback, I told my wife that the fate of the game was settled in the first quarter when the defense was on the field most of the time.  While I accept the fact that these men are highly conditioned, world class athletes, there is no one who can exert that amount of energy and not be exhausted later in the contest.  Was it not Vince Lombardi that said, "Fatigue makes cowards of us all."  Look, they just ran out of gas.  Simple as that.  Let's celebrate the victory and move on to the next game. 
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Watched the tape of the Eagles game - Really concerned in some areas defensively « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools