Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Am I the only one who thinks Eli is WAY overrated « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#15 : October 25, 2006, 01:34:32 PM

Leeroy - no harm done. I just thought I had to throwback a bit there :-)  glad you guys take these thigns less serious. OUr message boards always get crowded with people trying to make points that are usually completly invalid and piss everyone off. I like you guys.  Good football people who know the game. Mind if I hang out in your 'hood the rest of the season?

You're better than Pantherfan, so by all means...

Eli10

Second String

#16 : October 25, 2006, 01:37:07 PM

Pantherfan is probably upset because his team is the only one of the three of us that hasn't won a SuperBowl. 

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#17 : October 25, 2006, 01:38:23 PM

Coming out of college, I predicted that Eli would eventually be better than Peyton, and I still believe he will.  Up to this point I think he is already better when compared to Peyton his first few years, and I think Peyton has had better players around him as a whole. Unlike Peyton, Eli has proven to win big games, albeit in college. Eli did something Peyton could never do - beat Florida, and did so with a team not nearly as good. He won with Ole Miss when Ole Miss was next to nothing. Peyton was notorious for choking in big college games, something that has carried over to the pros. UT won the NC with TEE MARTIN right after Peyton left for crying out loud.  Eli is more of a gunslinger than Peyton, but sometimes that is a good thing. With experience he'll tone it down a bit I am sure, but the guy is not afraid to go for it and that's what I want in a QB. Sometimes the only way to win is by taking a chance. Yeah, you may throw a pick sometimes but if you never try you'll never know. If you hit the checkdown at the end of a game and lose because time ran out, it may look better in the stat column but it's a loss the same as throwing one up and getting it picked. At least on the forced ball you gave your guy (and team) a chance to win it.....

With more experience, Eli will be a better player than Peyton...maybe not in all the stats columns, but in the win column, especially in big games.  

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#18 : October 25, 2006, 01:46:50 PM

Eli isn't overrated. He's got a good head, great arm, accurate, and is mobile enough. I was at his frsit game against the Falcons and he played well enough to win. Form that point have been a fan and think he'll be great when it's all said and done.

corruptpirate

Pro Bowler

#19 : October 25, 2006, 01:57:47 PM

Eli will never be what Peyton is. Lets face it, Peyton is a machine on the football field. A calculating and effiecent passer that can disect great defenses. Despite his gaudy passying numbers, I do not see him as a gunslinger. He passes when he knows only his reciever can get it. Like all machines, however efficient they are, if you throw something to screw it up, it screws up badly. He has shown that in very big games especially against New England and Pittsburg. but eventually I think he can win it all. Eli on the otherhand is more of a true gunslinger. While Peyton uses timing routes to make his passes, Eli looks more like an instinctive passer. One of his major problems however is forcing throws into tight coverage alot thinking his rceiver can make a play and that is what leads to alot of his ints.

coopsxx

Starter
#20 : October 25, 2006, 02:10:19 PM

payton has won bigger games than Eli in the pros, didnt they get shut out int the playoffs

He throws too many INT's, its hard to say as a fan, but it just seems that Payton wants to be great, Eli is just playing to win.

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#21 : October 25, 2006, 02:43:38 PM

Peyton has not been able to win games in the playoffs with teams deemed far superior.  How long have they been considered pretty much the best team in the AFC, that is until playoff time comes?  That they have not made a SB yet is crazy.

And it's Peyton not Payton.

Eli hasn't had a chance yet to win big games in the NFL. He hasn't had a team yet that was heavily favored and lost in the big time. He is still very young and is better than Peyton was at this point IMO.

Eli10

Second String

#22 : October 25, 2006, 02:49:25 PM

I think Peyton had his best shot last year. But in fairness to Peyton, his defenses prior to last year were pretty stinking bad. I like him as a player. But have you noticed in big games, he hasn't put up the big points he has in others? I mean in the AFC Championship games, he really wilted, especially in the 4th quarter of that game (in New England). Sure it was snowing, but good quarterbacks fight through things like that.

I think Eli is going to be a better all-around quarterback than Peyton but will never EVER touch Peyton's numbers.

TBayJJ

Second String

#23 : October 25, 2006, 02:50:42 PM

I agree, I don't think he will ever be as good as Peyton.

GrudenFan63

Hall of Famer

#24 : October 25, 2006, 02:51:25 PM

I think Peyton will always be better than Eli, but I think Eli will win a ring first.  ;)

Eli10

Second String

#25 : October 25, 2006, 03:01:02 PM

I think Peyton will always be better than Eli, but I think Eli will win a ring first. ;)

YAIS!!!!!!!!

buckit

Hall of Famer

#26 : October 25, 2006, 03:06:17 PM

This is a great topic.  I have often commented to my wife (a Giants fan [banghead]) that Eli is nowhere near as good as his brother.  I've seen him make some very poor reads and errant throws that have led to interceptions.  He has a tendancy to throw jump ball into bracket coverage.  At times he looks like he isn't worthy to be a starter.  But at other times, he simply lights it up.  I think he's overrated as of today, but in another season or two will live up to the hype...

Dear Glazers,

Please sell the team to Eddie DeBartolo.

Thank you,
--the fans

redbeard10

Hall of Famer
#27 : October 25, 2006, 03:50:10 PM

Pantherfan is probably upset because his team is the only one of the three of us that hasn't won a SuperBowl. 
They've also only been around since 1996....just sayin.

redbeard10

Hall of Famer
#28 : October 25, 2006, 03:51:20 PM

payton has won bigger games than Eli in the pros, didnt they get shut out int the playoffs

He throws too many INT's, its hard to say as a fan, but it just seems that Payton wants to be great, Eli is just playing to win.
He's only had one playoff game. Not a fair comparison.

gone

Hall of Famer
#29 : October 25, 2006, 03:59:19 PM

At a guess, I'd say Eli wins a Lombardi before Peyton.  Peyton is great when his team is on a roll, but he gets flustered when things get tough.  Eli seems more stable in the clutch.  The combination of Peyton and Tony is a match made in hell -- a coach who can't win the big games, and a QB who struggles in them.
I'd also guess the giants won't make it to the SB with their current makeup.  There's too much infighting.  Too many Egos.  They'll tear themselves down sooner or later. 
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Am I the only one who thinks Eli is WAY overrated « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools