Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: i know the haters will swarm, but... « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

Pick6

Hall of Famer
: October 25, 2006, 01:31:24 PM

thank goodness for juran bolden. with kelly on IR, it's nice to have a big, physical, veteran corner who's capable of taking on a team's top WRs in this scheme. he's not as good as our top 2, but better than most people give him credit for....

he's been beaten deep, but he's not a CB you can pick on, the way eli's brother did to wansley.  i actually think he's a decent physical matchup with burress, and i wouldn't be surprised to make some plays that manning's not used to seeing smaller CBs make on balls thrown plaxico's way.

on a related note, with our #3 guy now likely cox, do we still put barber in the slot and trust our #3 guy on burress or toomer, or do we let cox be the inside guy now? he's physical enough, and less of a liability when he's not on a top 2 WR.

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#1 : October 25, 2006, 01:33:34 PM

Good question about Cox.  I say we keep putting Barber in the slot.  We all know he's not the fastest guy, and he may not be any better outside.  Plus, he's just so damned good inside!

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#2 : October 25, 2006, 01:37:41 PM

Who's the dime back now?  Adams?  Zemaitis?  Buchanon?

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#3 : October 25, 2006, 01:46:06 PM

Bolden is ok, but he still gets beat too often when trying to go for the INT. See the first TD by philly as a prime example.  ALl he had to do was let him catch and tackle and they have to try a FG. Instead he makes a poor choice to break on the ball and its an easy TD.

He does this a lot.  Every so often it works and he gets an INT (like earlier in the game), but more often than not he gets burned doing it.

He also is a horible tackler. See the NO game as a prime example. Bush has the ball, all Bolden has to do is make a solid tackle and they punt. Instead Bolden tackles him high (as usual) and Bush of all people RUNS HIM OVER and gets the first down. Then to top it all off Bolden gets up talking TRASH!  Newsflash Juran, you just got ran over by a speed/finesse back for a first down.  You have no business running your trap.  Maybe that is why he goes for INT's so much, he KNOWS he is a miserable tackler!

Other than that, I like Bolden and he is a good Nickel corner, better than most teams have.  I don't like him as starting in Kelly's spot, but looks like we don't have much choice.

Bucs N Beers

Hall of Famer

#4 : October 25, 2006, 01:51:02 PM

Bolden is ok, but he still gets beat too often when trying to go for the INT. See the first TD by philly as a prime example. ALl he had to do was let him catch and tackle and they have to try a FG. Instead he makes a poor choice to break on the ball and its an easy TD.

He does this a lot. Every so often it works and he gets an INT (like earlier in the game), but more often than not he gets burned doing it.

Actually, I'm pretty sure the INT that Bolden had was just good coverage. He was in the WR's hip pocket, turned and the ball was there so he grabbed it. I do understand what you're saying though and I agree. He's a make or break kinda guy. Hopefully, he won't cost us too much.

HOOOOOOOO!!!!

scohad

Rookie

#5 : October 25, 2006, 01:59:40 PM

Good Post Bucsnbeers.

coopsxx

Starter
#6 : October 25, 2006, 02:22:00 PM

The Predator is alright, he is capable, it would help if he got better coverage out of Phillips in cover 2. He also needs to wrap up better, but so does everyone really. He will match up well against burress though, i wouldnt be surprised if he gives up some pass int penalties, burress is physical as hell, and boldin wont back off.

TBYFLBuc

Second String

#7 : October 25, 2006, 02:34:27 PM

Bolden tackles like a sissy girl.He should spend ALL week with the O-line hitting the sled so he can learn to RUN THROUGH people not jump at them or arm tackle.

TBayJJ

Second String

#8 : October 25, 2006, 02:38:08 PM

Buchanon should help the depth out as well, he could become a big playmaker in this defense.

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#9 : October 25, 2006, 02:39:40 PM

I like the fact that he's physical enough to re-rout receivers coming off the line, which is key in the Tampa II.  He's sort of a liability the farther he gets away from the LOS, but if we continue to get some modicum of pressure, I think he'll be a nice replacement.  Tough to loose BK.  But remember it takes a few years to get acclimated to the defense and Bolden seems to be getting better with each game he plays, that's encouraging...

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

OpTiOnMaStA

Practice Squad

#10 : October 25, 2006, 02:44:04 PM

Losing Kelly hurts because he is our best CB.

Bolden will fill in solidly, though, as usual I would suspect.

buckit

Hall of Famer

#11 : October 25, 2006, 03:13:28 PM

I said this last year, I'll say it again:  I like Bolden.  I like his size, strength and aggression.  I thought he was a good addition at nickel, but was not sold on him taking BK's place.  That is until last week.  I thought he did a great job out there last week, and will probaly toe the line just fine. 

The thing about Bolden is he's aggressive and he has great instincts.  He'll blow a coverage here and there trying to jump a route, but he'll also snag some nice picks along the way.  Plus his ability to shut down screens and short passes to WR's is nece.  He's a great form tackler and makes good reads in the short game.  Expect more production from him as he gets more play time. 

Dear Glazers,

Please sell the team to Eddie DeBartolo.

Thank you,
--the fans

SamoaJoeBucFan

Starter

#12 : October 25, 2006, 03:17:32 PM

I said this last year, I'll say it again: I like Bolden. I like his size, strength and aggression. I thought he was a good addition at nickel, but was not sold on him taking BK's place. That is until last week. I thought he did a great job out there last week, and will probaly toe the line just fine.

The thing about Bolden is he's aggressive and he has great instincts. He'll blow a coverage here and there trying to jump a route, but he'll also snag some nice picks along the way. Plus his ability to shut down screens and short passes to WR's is nece. He's a great form tackler and makes good reads in the short game. Expect more production from him as he gets more play time.

Good post.  The only thing I don't like about Bolden is his arm tackling.  If he can get out of that habit, he could be a big part of this defense.

I think Will Allen is going to be a bigger asset in coverage now with BK gone.  But the question is, where do Phillips and Blue fit in?

MrFreakinMiyagi

Hall of Famer

#13 : October 25, 2006, 03:23:14 PM

I said this last year, I'll say it again: I like Bolden. I like his size, strength and aggression. I thought he was a good addition at nickel, but was not sold on him taking BK's place. That is until last week. I thought he did a great job out there last week, and will probaly toe the line just fine.

The thing about Bolden is he's aggressive and he has great instincts. He'll blow a coverage here and there trying to jump a route, but he'll also snag some nice picks along the way. Plus his ability to shut down screens and short passes to WR's is nece. He's a great form tackler and makes good reads in the short game. Expect more production from him as he gets more play time.
Agreed 100%

Dolorus Jason on a ban bet with me over the BCS Championship: \"You have your bet. I ain\'t scurred.\"- 12/8 \"Youre being banned from your own stupidity. Enjoy.\"-12/8 \"Prepare for your ban .\" -12/9 \"Miyagi gonna be banned.\"-12/9 \"Best bet I ever made ...\"-12/9 \"Miyagi mad , gettin banned.\"-12/9\"You mIght need a break from the board. Our bet should help you do just that.\"-12/10 11:38 AM
 \"The bet is off now.\"12/10 1:24 PM

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#14 : October 25, 2006, 04:47:19 PM

I don't think I have ever seen the words Bolden and good tackler in the same sentence before, but I guess you all see something I don't. As for being an asset on screens and short pass I think he's the opposite. He is not a good tackler, and more often than not he is playing so soft he gives up way too many short passes. A typical Bolden play is him playing 10 yards off, they throw a 6 yard pass, comlete it, and Bolden comes in tackles high and the receiver gets tackled forward for a 10 yard gain.

I like Bolden's size and aggression too, but IMO he doesn't use either properly. He is often aggressive when he shouldn't be (like the philly TD) and he doesn't seem to use his size to his advantage effectively either.

I will say he is better this year than last. But, more often than not it seems when I see a big play happen against us he is the guy around...
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: i know the haters will swarm, but... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools