Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Imus Loses Radio Show « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 6

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
: April 12, 2007, 05:28:48 PM

NEW YORK —  CBS Corp. (CBS) said Thursday it would permanently cancel Don Imus' morning radio talk program, following racist and sexist comments made by the shock jock about a women's college basketball team.

"From the outset, I believe all of us have been deeply upset and revulsed by the statements that were made on our air about the young women who represented Rutgers University in the NCAA Women's Basketball Championship with such class, energy and talent," CBS President and Chief Executive Officer Leslie Moonves said in a statement.

CBS said the cancellation of "Imus in the Morning" is effectively immediately. Its move comes a day after NBC Universal pulled its MSNBC simulcast of the show.

"Imus in the Morning" was carried on 61 stations across the United States.

Rusty

Hall of Famer
#1 : April 12, 2007, 05:55:40 PM

RIP

\'Every day above ground is a good day\'

#2 : April 12, 2007, 06:01:40 PM

Ehhhhh, he sucks anyway.  :-

#3 : April 12, 2007, 06:25:48 PM

I find it sad that he lost his job, even though I have never heard or watched his shows. What's really terrible is that he lost his radio job in the middle of his radiothon to raise money for kids with cancer.

magicfan39126

Pro Bowler

#4 : April 12, 2007, 06:28:04 PM

Terrific article by Jason Whitlock (who I usually hate).

http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/Archives?p_action=doc&p_docid=118737A50AB2E440&p_docnum=1

magicfan39126

Pro Bowler

#5 : April 12, 2007, 06:30:46 PM

What an overreaction, unbelievable.

Isn't Al Sharpton a reverend? Isn't forgiveness...like...important in Christianity? I must've missed something.

It was a really funny show and he was doing alot for sick kids, this is messed up.

#6 : April 12, 2007, 07:36:27 PM

CBS just pushes their biggest talents towards satellite radio. First it was Opie & Anthony with their "Sex for Sam" stunt, then it was Howard Stern, who simply got fed up with all the restrictions placed on him. I'm sure Imus will soon follow their leads, depending if CBS releases him from his recently signed 5-year deal.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#7 : April 12, 2007, 07:43:21 PM

What an overreaction, unbelievable.

Isn't Al Sharpton a reverend? Isn't forgiveness...like...important in Christianity? I must've missed something.

no.  he's a bidnessman.

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

#8 : April 12, 2007, 08:16:51 PM

Now there was some talk on the news that the members of the Rutgers B-ball team is considering filing a slander lawsuit. One woman on the team claims she has now been "scarred for life."

#9 : April 12, 2007, 08:18:19 PM

LOL @ Scarred for life. Right.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#10 : April 12, 2007, 08:19:22 PM

I just heard that after Imus' $10 million salary. CBS  made a profit of $2 million a year.
For them, that's chump change. So this move won't hurt them much.

However I DO think it is an overreaction and the ones calling for Sharpton to apologize
to the Duke players bring up a good point.

I cannot watch Imus. He's unwatchable IMO. But I don't think he should  have been fired
for this.

#11 : April 12, 2007, 08:57:35 PM

I haven't seen anything about the player(s) filing a defamation lawsuit, but I figured it may happen. I even alluded to it in a previous post. I'm not a lawyer but it's seems there is a cause for action on this. As far as Imus being fired no surprise there either, maybe some good can now arise from this. For those that have been complaining about a double standard (Sharpton etc.) and rap music lyrics, now would be the time to capitalize on the current momentum. We'll see if those crying foul are as good at following through.

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

#12 : April 12, 2007, 09:44:18 PM

I haven't seen anything about the player(s) filing a defamation lawsuit, but I figured it may happen. I even alluded to it in a previous post. I'm not a lawyer but it's seems there is a cause for action on this. As far as Imus being fired no surprise there either, maybe some good can now arise from this. For those that have been complaining about a double standard (Sharpton etc.) and rap music lyrics, now would be the time to capitalize on the current momentum. We'll see if those crying foul are as good at following through.

If they do, I assure you there will be a backlash to the backlash.

I mean what he said wasn't even that bad. Turn on MTV and you will hear things that are much, much worse.

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#13 : April 12, 2007, 09:50:02 PM

Never seen Imus, but this is pathetic.

Whitlock had a bunch of VERY good points.  I liked the part where Chappelle gets 50 million to make fun of whites and blacks, and is applauded.  Imus makes a crack and afro americans and women and gets fired.  Hmmm.......

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#14 : April 12, 2007, 10:00:22 PM

I doubt if a lawsuit would get anywhere since he didn't speak of anyone on the team in particular and his shtick is comedy/shock jock/commentary/news etc.  If a lawsuit holds, there are so many other celebrities that will have similar lawsuits - Andrew Dice Clay, Chirs Rock, Howard Stern, and Chapelle.

There's plenty of money for Imus elsewhere - Satellite radio, most likely, a book deal, too.

CBS profitted from his personality for years. Imus has been putting out this controversial stuff and they stood by him - but with the threat of major advertisers pulling their money, all of a sudden CBS becomes indignant.
Page: 1 2 3 ... 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Imus Loses Radio Show « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools