Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Imus Loses Radio Show « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 3 4 5 6

matt

Starter

« #60 : April 13, 2007, 06:40:56 AM »

It is in my opinion.  Censorship doesn't have to come from the government.  A political group (for lack of a better word) is being allowed to tell us what we can and can not say.  What if the issue wasn't over a racial slur but someone's political views? Shame on CBS and MSNBC for letting them do this.

You are correct. This IS a free speech issue and possibly even partially a first amendment issue. The government at least INDIRECTLY had an influence on this firing. This was discussed on WXYT Detroit (a CBS Radio station) yesterday morning in reference to Janet Jackson at the Super Bowl a couple years ago. The government slapped a big fine on CBS, and CBS in turn strengthened internal controls which included restricting what can be said on any of their stations. They talked about the diversity training that all employees were subjected to, and they had to sign some pledge to adhere to the new rules and regulations. Apparently CBS takes that training VERY seriously. While it's not likely that CBS would have been fined by the FCC, the decision was ultimately a financial one. CBS was losing too much advertising revenue. In that sense, the THREAT of the loss of revenue essentially works to restrict free speech.

MiltonMack21

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer

« #61 : April 13, 2007, 07:43:31 AM »

Now that Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson have won this battle, now it is time for those 2 chicken**** ***holes to apologize to the 3 Duke players that they PUBLICLY convicted of ***ing that girl. They need to sit down face to face and apologize to those boys, and its about damn time that Jackson and Sharpton take sensitivity classes and furthermore they should pay the legal fees for the Duke boys.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

« #62 : April 13, 2007, 07:56:43 AM »

While it's not likely that CBS would have been fined by the FCC, the decision was ultimately a financial one. CBS was losing too much advertising revenue. In that sense, the THREAT of the loss of revenue essentially works to restrict free speech.

Advertisers are allowed to pull their support for whatever reason. Just like when Howard Stern
first came on the air. NBC stuck with him but advertisers were dropping like flies. If the
advertisers feel that viewers are tuning out, (for whatever reason) they can withdraw
their support. Actually, they really don't need to give a reason. It's their money and
they can do what they want. If they decide they don't like Imus' stupid cowboy
hate any more, they can pull their advertising.

Not a free speech issue no matter how many ways you try to spin it.

Swolf

Practice Squad

« #63 : April 13, 2007, 08:15:55 AM »

Here is my take, take it as you will.

The problem with this country is we are so sensitized it isn't funny. Sticks and stones folks, a person's words can not hurt us, only our thoughts, feelings about oneself should matter to you. Growing up I was picked on in school, did I pick up a gun and start shooting NO. I was a duck, and let it role off our backs. I was raised the only opinion that matters is mine. I could care less what others thought, this was instilled in me as a child by my parents. Parents are ristricted more and more each day by the Goverment. When I was young I got my butt beat for doing something wrong, and I deserved it. You cant punish kids today period.

To me this IS an issue of free speech, for the simple fact Imus was crusified in the MEDIA for what was stated, yet what he said in NO way violated anyones rights or the FCC code. What he stated was unethical and umoral but not illegal, or against FCC Rules and Regulations. How often do you see or hear about good things on the news, hardly ever, you only see the negitives. Thats where the problem lies. UNTIL WE AS AMERICA STOP TALKING ABOUT RACE, RACE WILL BE AN ISSUE. This country in the past 50 has been in a civil rights/politically correct era. We are not White americans, African Americans, Mexican Americans - we are americans. It sickens me to death to see americans waive the banner of another country, you came here for a reason.

The ones that tick me off the most are the ones that say you owned slaves, you did this.... I DID NOT maybe my ancestors did, maybe they didn't, but I was born in 1978 so don't spew that to me. I wasn't around and you probibly wern't either. We learn from our mistakes and move on. We have 3 border patrol officers in jail for 1,11,12 years for doing what they were taught to do. Because Illegal aliens felt thier civil rights were violated when they crossed illegally. The US Govt then gave them 100,000 and a ssn and DL for thier troubles.  Hopefully all the congressmen sign the congressional pardon in congress right now. A group of teenagers from blake high school robbed stores to "live a thug life" is just pathetic.

We have come to a point as a country that I feel the straw just broke the camel's back. this will get ugly and we will be talking about it until something is done. When guys like Sharpton and Jackson are blown out and someone with new views step up to resolve this issue that we face, this isnt 1960 anymore, those things arnt going to work today. This country has become the home of the opressed, and not the home of the free. What a sad thing to say, but true nonetheless.

corruptpirate

Pro Bowler

« #64 : April 13, 2007, 08:27:08 AM »

The whole Imus thing is not a free speech issue. NBC is a company. Companies will do what is necessary to make profits. Imus lost whatever profittability he had and got canned. Blame the media and "Civil Rights" leaders Jackson and Sharpton on that. Had it not blocwn out of proportion like it did then he probably still has adverts and a job at NBC. But no one is stopping him for speaking his garbage outside where he is not affiliated with NBC. If you do something in your company that wleads to them losing money, you can bet you will be canned.

That said, I agree with most of the other parts of Swolf's post.

Swolf

Practice Squad

« #65 : April 13, 2007, 08:49:05 AM »

It is a matter of free speach just because if the "Activist/Oppertunist" wouldn't have been "Offended" it would have died with the apology. But when the "Activist/Oppertunist" keep it going sponser will leave and cause the firing, but make no mistake about it, it was his speech and the money hungrey "Activist/Oppertunist" that got him fired. Weather he was fired is because of what he said.

krazybuc

Hall of Famer

« #66 : April 13, 2007, 10:56:39 AM »

al sharpton's a piece of crap. years ago there was a group of black and hispanic teenagers that brutally beat a white woman in central park. they admitted to it and were convicted by a jury made up of a majority of blacks and hispanics. Sharpton claimed the teenagers were victims of racism in the justice system.

sharpton and jackson are parasites of the worst kind.

and snoop dogg. what a piece of garbage. as long as snoop and ludacris and all the other rappers call each other ho's and the n word then i'll feel free to do the same. you want to ban the words, then ban them from everyone. otherwise, dont be shocked when you hear a white boy say it.

Groovatron

Pro Bowler

« #67 : April 13, 2007, 11:39:01 AM »

IMO, Imus didn't get canned for what he said. He got canned for being stupid. When you're making the kind of jack he was making you can't be stupid w/o paying a price. And what he said was stupid. Price paid.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
« #68 : April 13, 2007, 12:11:00 PM »

IMO, Imus didn't get canned for what he said. He got canned for being stupid. When you're making the kind of jack he was making you can't be stupid w/o paying a price. And what he said was stupid. Price paid.

For the record I think Imus sucks and by many accounts is a jerk in real life but let's see you fill 4 hours a day, 5 days a week for 30 years without ever being "stupid".  Soon our airways will be completely void of anything deemed controversial or edgy.  Like I said, we are heading toward "STRICTLY CONTROLLED FREE SPEECH" within our media and entertainment industries.  Thank God for the internet.

alstott40

Pro Bowler

« #69 : April 13, 2007, 12:33:12 PM »

sharpton and jackson need to point the finger at the rap industry instead of preying on white people. its ok for snoop dog to say nappy headed beotch but not ok for the other?  This double sided stuff really needs to change, and for a rev. to be casting out stones I believe is a huge contradiction to his cheating life style. 

funny parody of jessie jackson

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

« #70 : April 14, 2007, 04:06:56 AM »

To me this IS an issue of free speech, for the simple fact Imus was crusified in the MEDIA for what was stated, yet what he said in NO way violated anyones rights or the FCC code. What he stated was unethical and umoral but not illegal, or against FCC Rules and Regulations.

Nope, not a free speech issue. You and others can keep claiming that but the other posters
have shown why it is clearly not about free speech.

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

« #71 : April 14, 2007, 08:05:12 AM »

The whole Imus thing is not a free speech issue. NBC is a company. Companies will do what is necessary to make profits. Imus lost whatever profittability he had and got canned. Blame the media and "Civil Rights" leaders Jackson and Sharpton on that. Had it not blocwn out of proportion like it did then he probably still has adverts and a job at NBC. But no one is stopping him for speaking his garbage outside where he is not affiliated with NBC. If you do something in your company that wleads to them losing money, you can bet you will be canned.

If true, we are heading towards fascism.... We are starting to see more and more suppression of expression simply because society does not like certain words, opinions, beliefs, or ideas. As soon as we loose that freedom of expression, America is dead.

What if some group of people start getting offended at far-right or far-left political speech on the radio? And boycotts force the network to loose sponsors? I mean if some far-left guy on the radio says Christianity is "full of crap" or that "Jesus was married." Statements like those could be very offensive as well. So church groups then protest to get that guy off the air.

That's essentially what is starting to happen... And yes, society can be just as dangerous has a tyrant. This is why the founding fathers did not give total control of the government to the majority or make the government a real democracy. They feared mob-rule just as much as King George III.

So I am sorry, CP. But this is very much a free speech issue.

Oh, and let me also add in the fact that college professors are protected under the law for free speech. Even if donors pull out money, the university is not legally allowed to fire the professor based only on comments he or she made in the classroom. So no...you are wrong...sometimes you will not be fired if the employer loses money over what you say.
And thank god that is still protected. Although maybe not for long because of stupid-ass morons like Bill O'Reilly who tries to get every professor fired that he doesn't agree with.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

« #72 : April 14, 2007, 09:32:20 AM »

The college professors are protected but it's not a blanket protection from what I understand.
It has to be speech that is of the public concern. Supreme Court has ruled differently in
various cases.

Fascism because of Imus? Was it fascism when Opie & Anthony played the sounds of sex
in a cathedral over the airwaves and were subsequently fired?

Imus case has nothing to do with us heading towards fascism and nothing to do with
free speech. It's an overreaction and a double standard. But not a case of free
speech being suppressed.

krazybuc

Hall of Famer

« #73 : April 14, 2007, 09:33:10 AM »

you can't equate a professor that teaches a few hundred students a year to a radio show host listened to by millions. that analogy is wayyyy off base.

no this is not a freedom of speech issue. the fact that you and some others cant grasp an understanding of our most basic amendments shows why idiots like george bush get elected.

if you dont want radio show hosts or anyone else to be boycotted and lose sponsors, than the only counter action is to form your own group and show support when they're boycotted. no radio station is going to let its sponsors walk away because some hippie said somethin stupid. of course they are going to side with the money, they're a corporation, that's what corporations do.

you should be aiming your argument towards why are people so easily offended or better yet, why are people dumb enough to listen to a  word that sharpton says and actually follow his ideas.

klb55

Starter

« #74 : April 14, 2007, 01:19:05 PM »

If true, we are heading towards fascism.... We are starting to see more and more suppression of expression simply because society does not like certain words, opinions, beliefs, or ideas. As soon as we loose that freedom of expression, America is dead.

What if some group of people start getting offended at far-right or far-left political speech on the radio? And boycotts force the network to loose sponsors? I mean if some far-left guy on the radio says Christianity is "full of crap" or that "Jesus was married." Statements like those could be very offensive as well. So church groups then protest to get that guy off the air.

That's essentially what is starting to happen... And yes, society can be just as dangerous has a tyrant. This is why the founding fathers did not give total control of the government to the majority or make the government a real democracy. They feared mob-rule just as much as King George III.

So I am sorry, CP. But this is very much a free speech issue.

Oh, and let me also add in the fact that college professors are protected under the law for free speech. Even if donors pull out money, the university is not legally allowed to fire the professor based only on comments he or she made in the classroom. So no...you are wrong...sometimes you will not be fired if the employer loses money over what you say.
And thank god that is still protected. Although maybe not for long because of stupid-ass morons like Bill O'Reilly who tries to get every professor fired that he doesn't agree with.

Regardless of how you try and spin it, this is not a freedom of speech issue.  All people, even Al and Jesse, have the right to express their opinions.  Those opinions might lead to advertisers walking away from a radio show and consequently the radio show host being terminated.  Anyone in this country has the right to call for anyone's termination.  Tenured college professors are guaranteed due process when it comes to termination.  Tenure doesn't mean lifetime guarantee of a job.  "Tenure" means a right to due process.  A tenured college science prof cannot hold their students to his or her belief that the earth is the center of the universe or act unprofessionally.  Actually, about 2 percent of tenured professors are terminated annually for a variety of reasons.  I'd suggest you do some research on freedom of speech.  Have you done any research?  Do you think that it "appears to be a freedom of speech" issue therefore it must be?  The constitution doesn't guarantee that you cannot be fired from your job for expressing your beliefs.
  Page: 1 ... 3 4 5 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Imus Loses Radio Show « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools