Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Magic Offseason « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 9

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

: April 17, 2007, 03:41:14 PM

No they aren't , yet, but they both would fit what we need more than JJ.

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#1 : April 15, 2007, 11:48:12 PM

1. Chauncey Billups
2. Rashard Lewis
3. Vince Carter

That would be my priority.

And then, I hope Hill doesn't retire and stays here cheap.  If we could add any of those guys he would be great to have as a 6th man type player who can come in and be a playmaker off the bench.

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#2 : April 13, 2007, 07:42:17 PM

Something I wrote on another board and Edited for PR (mostly the Fran Vasquez section)

The other thread got me thinking about the team as a whole and what needs to happen before next season to put the Magic in contention in the east.  A lot of it will involve improvements in individual areas for individual players.  A lot of the team is young enough that these are reasonable improvements to expect.

Players:

Dwight Howard:  Any discussion of the team's future has to start with Howard.  It's easy to say that he needs to develop a go to post move, but that's been the case since he got into the league and it hasn't happened yet.  It's starting to make me wonder but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now.  Aside from that the two main areas he has to work on are 1) Free throw shooting.  He'd be a 23ppg scorer if he could just shoot free throws.  2) He has to learn how to recognize the double team better.  Our wing players can help him out here too by hitting the shots he gives them.  Read more on that later.

Darko Milicic:  He may not be the most important player on the team, but he’s right up there when discussing the team’s future.  Milicic can be an effective scorer when given the opportunity to score.  It appears that Brian Hill has flashed the red light on him in that department and I can’t for the life of me figure out why.  He’s already a very good shot blocker/passer/shooter.  He needs to convince the coach to give him more shots in the offseason.  Also I think Darko would benefit greatly by losing some weight in the offseason.  If Howard and Milicic are to play together in the future, due to their skill sets it appears clear that Howard is the center and Milicic is the power forward.  He’s too bulky to play forward at his current weight.

Trevor Ariza:  He’s a guy that doesn’t get a lot of attention nationally but he’s one of the best young players in the league.  He’s already a tremendous defender.  As of now he’s the best we have on the wing.  As an athlete he has few peers as well.  He would be our starting small forward if not for his offensive limitations.  The only things Ariza should concentrate on this offseason are his shooting and his handle.  If he can even get to average in those departments, look out.

Jameer Nelson:  Nelson needs to grow, but aside from that he really needs to work on his vision and playmaking ability.  The problem there is that vision is something that can only be modestly improved by working on it.  As a whole you either have it or you don’t, and he doesn’t.  If the vision can’t be improved, the next thing in line is his decision making.  He costs us way too many turnovers from careless passes that everyone can see have no chance of succeeding. In reality, Nelson’s improvement may have more to do with Brian Hill than him.  Nelson is clearly valuable to this team, however, it is up to Hill to determine how Nelson brings that value to the table.  He may be best suited in a 6th man scorer's role.

JJ Re**CENSORED**:  JJ hasn’t had a great rookie season.  Part of that can be explained by his missing all of the offseason with injuries.  Part of that can be explained by Brian Hill’s obscure rationing of playing time.  Aside from that, JJ really needs to work on his defensive footwork.  He’s never going to have the athleticism of many of the players he’ll be guarding, so his footwork will have to be immaculate for him to have an impact on that end of the floor.  Secondly, his ball handling must improve if he is to play guard in this league.

Fran Vasquez: The main thing Vasquez has to work on is to stop being a sissy and come to America.

Front Office: 

Draft:  It appears that we will not have a first round pick unless we fall out of the playoffs and get a top 5 pick from the lottery.  That’s not likely so I’ll just concede our draft to Detroit.

Free Agency:  With Grant Hill’s contract expiring, the Magic are going to have room for a max contract.  Sadly, this is a pretty weak crop.  I think target number 1 has to be Chauncey Billups.  We need a veteran point guard with some size and playoff experience.  Detroit is most likely going to hold on to Billups, so the next option has to be Vince Carter.  Orlando really needs another scorer.  Nelson and Hedo Turkoglu are best suited as third scorers.  Carter would open up the floor for Howard and allow Hill to start Ariza even if his offense doesn’t improve.  Defensively our backcourt would still leave a lot to be desired, but offensively would be much improved.

Outlook:  If, and I know it’s a big if, all of these scenarios play out, Orlando would compete with Miami for the Southeast Division and a top 4 seed in the playoffs.  If none of these things happen, the Magic will find themselves where they are right now, riding Dwight Howard and scraping by just trying to win the final playoff spot.

#3 : April 13, 2007, 07:43:02 PM

Billups would be NIIIIIICE.

MBF

Hall of Famer

#4 : April 13, 2007, 07:45:36 PM

Detroit didn't spend on Wallace so they could keep Billups, so I doubt he leaves.(as you probably know)

#5 : April 13, 2007, 07:47:13 PM

Detroit didn't spend on Wallace so they could keep Billups, so I doubt he leaves.(as you probably know)
You sir, just ruined my daydream. Reported!

matt

Starter

#6 : April 13, 2007, 08:47:41 PM

You sir, just ruined my daydream. Reported!

In the past, Bill Davidson has shown a reluctance to pay a max contract for anyone, so we'll have to see what happens. I think the Pistons ABSOLUTELY need to keep Chauncey as he's not on the downside of his career like Ben was. If Chauncey isn't a Piston next year, I'm pretty sure he'd be in Denver. Hopefully, he stays with Detroit though.

#7 : April 13, 2007, 08:48:54 PM

How could he go to Denver when they have Melo, AI, and Camby all under deals right?

MBF

Hall of Famer

#8 : April 13, 2007, 08:50:29 PM

How could he go to Denver when they have Melo, AI, and Camby all under deals right?
And didn't they sign Nene to a big deal too?

#9 : April 13, 2007, 08:52:15 PM

I think so...and Kenyon.

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#10 : April 13, 2007, 09:37:18 PM

I think so...and Kenyon.

Exactly.  No chance he goes to Denver.  If he's not in Detroit he needs to be here.  We're a contender with Billups running our team.  He'd fit in perfect with Hill's plodding half court offense.

matt

Starter

#11 : April 13, 2007, 11:00:07 PM

There were rumors that he would be interested in going back there, but they've cooled as the season has progressed. If Davidson approves signing Chauncey to a max contract, he'll be back. It certainly helped the Pistons that Chauncey has been able to witness the issues that Ben has had in Chicago.

MarleyMon81

Hall of Famer

#12 : April 13, 2007, 11:03:56 PM

I seriously think there may need to be a HC change.  Hill's offense just seems to have no direction to it.  I know there's alot of young players trying to grow on this Magic team, but they've actually regressed from last season's late strong push.  It just doesn't seem like the players respond to Hill's style.  It's earily reminiscent of how the Magic teams in the mid 90's begain to turn a deaf ear to Hill's hard line, control every facet style.  If reports are true that DeVos vetod Weisbrod's choice of Flip Saunders for HC in favor of Hill in 05 so the franchise could right a wrong from nearly 8 years previous I'll be sick.  Flip at least has an offensive identity and worked a raw HS drafted big man into a league MVP.

Dwight will be offered the max extension and most likely accept.  Would like to have Jameer extended too but wouldn't break the bank on him.  If he doesn't accept a reasonible deal, let him play out that last year.  He hasn't done anything this season to raise his stock.  Would like to have Darko back and think he will be.  

Really what the Magic need is a scoring SG to take some of the pressure of of Dwight down low.  JJ is a nice compliment player, but maybe not starter material yet.  Not sure what's out there in FA so we'll see.

I've followed this team since 89 and still can't figure their management out yet.  We got lucky in 92 and 93 with back to back #1 picks that produced Shaq and Penny.  Other than swipping Ho Grant as a FA in 94, their success basically came by extreme lotto luck.  They seem to have a foundation again with Dwight, Darko, Jameer, and Ariza and it will hopefully be fun to watch them continue to grow.

dmxatf23

Second String

#13 : April 14, 2007, 12:05:23 AM

Billups isnt worth a Max contract, Ill be honest, outside of Gerald Wallace and Rashard Lewis, I wouldn't throw much money @ anyone

-chris

#14 : April 14, 2007, 02:27:19 AM

I agree withg much thats been said.

Big fan of Gerald Wallace and especially Rashard Lewis. Chauncey Billups may be the best fit. I would be more than happy with Vince Carter, this teams offense is worthless

One thing I disagree about, is where you said our backcourt will still be weak defensively with Carter here and Ariza in the starting lineup. I'd have to strongly disagree there. Ariza and CArter are both strong on ball defenders with size. Mix them with Howard and Milicic and that is a huge, very athletic lineup. Also add in Grant Hill and/or Hedo and we will have a strong defensive team. The only worry would be that we still dont have a defensive stopper on the perimeter, but I would be happy enough to have Vince Carter matching up wuth the great swingmen of the league consideirng the help he will have behind him in Darko and Howard

This team needs offense, they need progression and most likely new leadership for the young players and especially Howard and Nelson, and I think most importantly we need a new coach. We aren't efficient enough on offense to run the slooooooow offense that Brian Hill has unsuccessfully ran all year. Too many turnovers and not enough guys capable of making plays off the dribble
Page: 1 2 3 ... 9
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Magic Offseason « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools