Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Magic Offseason « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 7 8 9

#120 : June 28, 2007, 11:01:16 AM

Darko's the only deal you have to worry about; Dwight's extension wouldn't begin until after this season, so no worry about the cap on that issue.

What if we went another way and decided to go with two or three smaller signings; a la Pietrus, a PG, and a big man?

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#121 : June 29, 2007, 08:12:54 PM

Darko's the only deal you have to worry about; Dwight's extension wouldn't begin until after this season, so no worry about the cap on that issue.

What if we went another way and decided to go with two or three smaller signings; a la Pietrus, a PG, and a big man?

Pietrus is pretty much a clone of Ariza, only not as good and a lot more expensive. 

The minor signing route is usually not a bad idea, but we need a wing who can score, preferably with a jumper.  In this free agent class that pretty much leaves you Rashard Lewis and Vince Carter, either one of which is going to be a major signing. 

However, if you want to go the minor signing route, take a look at Andres Nocioni.  He's a restricted free agent so we'd have to make an offer Chicago wouldn't match.  He's a very hardnosed defender, and while I wouldn't call him a scorer, he can shoot the ball. 

If we keep it to one minor signing we could also be in position to make a run at Gilbert Arenas next season. 

#122 : June 29, 2007, 01:48:21 PM

Pietrus would be a perfect fit, but I dont see why Golden State would let a very young player like him leave after they found and scoute dhim. Especially now that J Rich is gone Pietrus could be in their starting lineup

#123 : June 30, 2007, 12:09:57 AM

I love Nocioni and would love to see him signed, but if that is all we do then we will be lucky to make it to the 2nd round of the playoffs next year. We have no scoring.  Changing the system will help under the new coach, but we still dont have the horses and we will still have the same turnover prone team. Our defense wasn't as good as the numbers showed last year. The only reason we had such a low points against is because we also led the league in fewest FGs per game. When you slow the game down that much it makes it appear we are better defensively than we are. We are still a solid defensive team, and if we added Nocioni we would be that much better. We still wouldnt have a defensive stopper, capable of matching up with the great swingmen of the league. Defnese would be fine though, but we still wouldnt score enough points.

I like the Ariza/Pietrus comparison. They are similar type players in some ways. I think Pietrus is more of a true SG, whereas Ariza is more of a SF who can play SG in big lineups. I might take PIetrus over Ariza to be honest. I tihnk its pretty close. Either way I think Pietrus would still be a good fit on this team and he gives us exactly what we need which is a big SG and solid defensive player. I still dont see GS letting him go

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#124 : June 30, 2007, 11:24:36 AM

I love Nocioni and would love to see him signed, but if that is all we do then we will be lucky to make it to the 2nd round of the playoffs next year. We have no scoring. Changing the system will help under the new coach, but we still dont have the horses and we will still have the same turnover prone team. Our defense wasn't as good as the numbers showed last year. The only reason we had such a low points against is because we also led the league in fewest FGs per game. When you slow the game down that much it makes it appear we are better defensively than we are. We are still a solid defensive team, and if we added Nocioni we would be that much better. We still wouldnt have a defensive stopper, capable of matching up with the great swingmen of the league. Defnese would be fine though, but we still wouldnt score enough points.

I like the Ariza/Pietrus comparison. They are similar type players in some ways. I think Pietrus is more of a true SG, whereas Ariza is more of a SF who can play SG in big lineups. I might take PIetrus over Ariza to be honest. I tihnk its pretty close. Either way I think Pietrus would still be a good fit on this team and he gives us exactly what we need which is a big SG and solid defensive player. I still dont see GS letting him go

Don't get me wrong, I like Pietrus.  It's just that when you factor in age, salary, and upside Ariza starts to look a lot more attractive.  I still prefer the Rashard Lewis route myself.
Page: 1 ... 7 8 9
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Magic Offseason « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools