Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Magic Offseason « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 9

matt

Starter

#15 : April 14, 2007, 09:34:53 AM

If reports are true that DeVos vetod Weisbrod's choice of Flip Saunders for HC in favor of Hill in 05 so the franchise could right a wrong from nearly 8 years previous I'll be sick.  Flip at least has an offensive identity and worked a raw HS drafted big man into a league MVP.

How active of an owner is Rich DeVos? I thought (and I could be wrong) that he was pretty much hands off with the Magic. The DeVos family has done a TON for Grand Rapids, MI. Their name is on a ton of buildings. His son, **CENSORED**, ran for Governor here last year but unfortunately lost. As for Flip Saunders, the jury is really still out on him. With a quick playoff exit this year, he could be done in Detroit. He's been criticized for not using his bench effectively, and the Pistons clearly showed signs of being worn out in the Cleveland series (which they won) and the Miami series (which they lost). He's used the bench a little more this year, but I think anything short of at least a Finals appearance will be viewed as a failure.

dmxatf23

Second String

#16 : April 14, 2007, 11:32:03 AM

The only thing Flip Saunders will have to show @ the end of his coaching career is his ability to castrate Playoff and Championship contending teams.

-chris

#17 : April 14, 2007, 11:48:56 AM

Perhaps Adelman or Marc Iavaroni (PHX asst.)?

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#18 : April 14, 2007, 01:29:11 PM

I agree withg much thats been said.

Big fan of Gerald Wallace and especially Rashard Lewis. Chauncey Billups may be the best fit. I would be more than happy with Vince Carter, this teams offense is worthless

One thing I disagree about, is where you said our backcourt will still be weak defensively with Carter here and Ariza in the starting lineup. I'd have to strongly disagree there. Ariza and CArter are both strong on ball defenders with size. Mix them with Howard and Milicic and that is a huge, very athletic lineup. Also add in Grant Hill and/or Hedo and we will have a strong defensive team. The only worry would be that we still dont have a defensive stopper on the perimeter, but I would be happy enough to have Vince Carter matching up wuth the great swingmen of the league consideirng the help he will have behind him in Darko and Howard

This team needs offense, they need progression and most likely new leadership for the young players and especially Howard and Nelson, and I think most importantly we need a new coach. We aren't efficient enough on offense to run the slooooooow offense that Brian Hill has unsuccessfully ran all year. Too many turnovers and not enough guys capable of making plays off the dribble

That is the first time I have ever seen "Vince Carter" and "good defender" in the same sentence.  That would be a horribly weak backcourt defensively.  Ariza, Howard, and Darko would be in the frontcourt so I'm not sure why we're bringing them up.  That's a strong defensive unit and I never said otherwise.  I said Carter would score enough for us to put Ariza in the starting lineup despite his offensive limitations.

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#19 : April 14, 2007, 03:03:43 PM

Perhaps Adelman or Marc Iavaroni (PHX asst.)?

Adelman is residing in Portland, and apprantely is the leader to become Portlands new president. Always was my fav coach.

Fresh

Hall of Famer

#20 : April 14, 2007, 03:28:41 PM

If Acie Law came out this,him and Nelson would be a sick PG SG duo. If im the GM of the Orlando Magic, I would sign Vince Carter.
PG- Jameer Nelson  SG- Acie Law (draft) SF- Vince Carter (FA signee)   PF- Darko Milicic   C- Dwight Howard

There offense would be nasty. I hate Re**CENSORED** simply he is a dukee boy and he got away with his fluke calls in the ACC. The only problem with the lineup their is that their D would be suspect.

Quote from: True Playa
I'm a playa from way back and playa's gotta play. I'm straight pimpin'. Southside OG's keep it real. Represent the third coast.

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#21 : April 14, 2007, 03:41:08 PM

If Acie Law came out this,him and Nelson would be a sick PG SG duo. If im the GM of the Orlando Magic, I would sign Vince Carter.
PG- Jameer Nelson SG- Acie Law (draft) SF- Vince Carter (FA signee) PF- Darko Milicic C- Dwight Howard

There offense would be nasty. I hate Re**CENSORED** simply he is a dukee boy and he got away with his fluke calls in the ACC. The only problem with the lineup their is that their D would be suspect.

If The Magic are to go anywhere we need a true PG and not Jameer.  Jameer is decent for some scoring off the bench, but is NOT a good PG, is a huge defensive liability, and is best served as a 6th man type player off the bench.

Fresh

Hall of Famer

#22 : April 14, 2007, 03:49:30 PM

I like meer meer, he was great in college playing with Delonte West now with Boston. He doesn't fit Orlando's offense,IMO. Meer would be great in philly where the need a pg, badly.

Quote from: True Playa
I'm a playa from way back and playa's gotta play. I'm straight pimpin'. Southside OG's keep it real. Represent the third coast.

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#23 : April 14, 2007, 03:53:26 PM

PG- Jameer Nelson SG- Acie Law (draft) SF- Vince Carter (FA signee) PF- Darko Milicic C- Dwight Howard

Acie Law is a dream.  We have no shot at him and even if we did he's not starting over Ariza or Turkoglu.  Best case scenario for us next season is PG: Billups, SG: Turkoglu, SF: Ariza, PF: Milicic, C: Howard.  With Howard, Darko, and Ariza'a natural progression as 21 year olds and Billups' guiding hand, we would be a serious contender in the east.

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#24 : April 14, 2007, 03:53:49 PM

I like meer meer, he was great in college playing with Delonte West now with Boston. He doesn't fit Orlando's offense,IMO. Meer would be great in philly where the need a pg, badly.

He was great in college because Delonte handled the ball most of the time and Jameer played like a 2 guard.  Not to mention in college you can get away with playing 2 small guards.  In the NBA he can't play defense and isn't big enough for that role.  He isn't a playmaker to be a PG.  He is  a classic "tweener" best served for a bench role.

#25 : April 15, 2007, 05:18:27 AM

Vince Carter has size, what was the last SG we had with size? We constantly get abused by the great SG of the league because all we have to guard hem is Keyon Dooling, Hedo, Stacey Augmon, Deshawn Stevenson, Keith Bogans, and Grant Hill (who is probably the best of the bunch but ha slost a step). If we can get an offensive star like Carter, we could then like you said start Ariza. WIth Ariza, Darko and Howard we will have a lot of flexibility on defense. Ariza is very active, and with the number of athletic SF in the league he would play a lot of defense on the perimiter.

Carter's size is they key, and with or without a defensive stopper we will be able to cover up for any weaknesses on the perimeter with the size and activiy we get from Howard, Ariza and Darko on the defensive end

I would much prefer Rashard Lewis though personally, and probably Chauncey Billups too.

MBF

Hall of Famer

#26 : April 16, 2007, 11:58:31 AM

Hill would be a good playmaker off the bench if they used the money on two new ankles for him.

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#27 : April 16, 2007, 02:05:36 PM

Hill can still distribute the ball and score a little.  He'd be an excellent player off the bench.  Have him and Jameer as the 1st 2 off the bench and good things are going to happen for your team.

#28 : April 16, 2007, 03:05:06 PM

1. Chauncey Billups
2. Rashard Lewis
3. Vince Carter

That would be my priority.

And then, I hope Hill doesn't retire and stays here cheap. If we could add any of those guys he would be great to have as a 6th man type player who can come in and be a playmaker off the bench.
Yes and yes.

matt

Starter

#29 : April 16, 2007, 10:13:29 PM

The object of many of your affections, Chauncey Billups, was on WXYT in Detroit today: http://podcast.1270sports.com/wxyt/399392.mp3

It sounds like he doesn't plan on going anywhere. Of course everyone says that, but Chauncey seems to go out of his way to say how much he likes the Metro Detroit area.
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 9
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Magic Offseason « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools