Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Magic Offseason « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9

#30 : April 17, 2007, 12:06:17 AM

Billups likes burned downed, abandoned buildings ?

pewtersurf

Hall of Famer
#31 : April 17, 2007, 12:34:01 AM

How are we going to be able to bring in top FA's when this year we have to resign Darko and then next year we have to resign Howard and maybe Jameer depending on if the team wants him?

Pay Darko between 8 and 10 million this offseason or he is gone.  Other teams can offer him contracts and the Magic have to match them.
Pay Howard the max next year
Pay Nelson more money as well next year. 

Where is this free money coming from that we can pay a player a max contract?

Get your Battle Flag!  Join the Fight!

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#32 : April 17, 2007, 10:06:50 AM

Vince Carter has size, what was the last SG we had with size? We constantly get abused by the great SG of the league because all we have to guard hem is Keyon Dooling, Hedo, Stacey Augmon, Deshawn Stevenson, Keith Bogans, and Grant Hill (who is probably the best of the bunch but ha slost a step). If we can get an offensive star like Carter, we could then like you said start Ariza. WIth Ariza, Darko and Howard we will have a lot of flexibility on defense. Ariza is very active, and with the number of athletic SF in the league he would play a lot of defense on the perimiter.

Carter's size is they key, and with or without a defensive stopper we will be able to cover up for any weaknesses on the perimeter with the size and activiy we get from Howard, Ariza and Darko on the defensive end

I would much prefer Rashard Lewis though personally, and probably Chauncey Billups too.
That's why I screamed when they drafted Re**CENSORED** instead of Ronnie Brewer last year. With a sub-6' 0" point guard in Nelson, you can't assemble players in a vacuum; you have to find players to complement eachother, and a slow footed, injury-prone, catch and shoot guy in Re**CENSORED** makes a combined disaster in the back court compared to a rangy, athletic, lockdown defender like Brewer. And if they are drafting a guy like Re**CENSORED** #10 to come off the bench, that's horrible too.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#33 : April 17, 2007, 12:24:36 PM

I also wanted Brewer last year.  I wanted either him or Carney. 

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#34 : April 17, 2007, 01:20:04 PM

How are we going to be able to bring in top FA's when this year we have to resign Darko and then next year we have to resign Howard and maybe Jameer depending on if the team wants him?

Pay Darko between 8 and 10 million this offseason or he is gone. Other teams can offer him contracts and the Magic have to match them.
Pay Howard the max next year
Pay Nelson more money as well next year.

Where is this free money coming from that we can pay a player a max contract?

It's called the Bird rule.  You are allowed to go over the salary cap to sign your own players.

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#35 : April 17, 2007, 02:13:11 PM

Billups is nothing more than a pipe dream right now. He's the leader of that team and I doubt they let him go.

Sadly the best PG's available may be Mo Williams and Chucky Atkins.  While Williams is an upgrade over Jameer IMO, he's  still not the playmaker we need.  Both of these guys are shoot first PG's.  We've been down the Atkins road before, not sure he adds much more than what we have either. 

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#36 : April 17, 2007, 03:21:19 PM

Billups is nothing more than a pipe dream right now. He's the leader of that team and I doubt they let him go.

Sadly the best PG's available may be Mo Williams and Chucky Atkins. While Williams is an upgrade over Jameer IMO, he's still not the playmaker we need. Both of these guys are shoot first PG's. We've been down the Atkins road before, not sure he adds much more than what we have either.

I put this forward on another board.  It might not help at all next season, but what do you think the Clippers would take for Shawn Livingston?  Surely they are about ready to give up on this kid and he's got all the court vision in the world.  With his knee being what it is he might not ever get his athleticism all the way back, but I think Howard and Milicic can erase most of his defensive mistakes stemming from that. 

Of course this is just speculation on my part, but it would be a cheaper route to getting a playmaker.

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#37 : April 17, 2007, 03:24:26 PM

I also wanted Brewer last year. I wanted either him or Carney.

In fairness to JJ, those guys aren't doing much either.

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#38 : April 17, 2007, 04:07:40 PM

No they aren't , yet, but they both would fit what we need more than JJ.

I don't know.  When JJ gets minutes he scores.  That's what this team needs.  The thinking is that JJ can spread the floor to open up room for Howard.  It hasn't happened like that just yet, but don't rule it out too fast.

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#39 : April 17, 2007, 04:27:41 PM

JJ might be a good situational player off the bench but his defense will limit him IMO to being nothing more than a Kerr type player to hit a spot up shot.  Which is ll fine if you have a great team to get you there, which we don't.  WOuld have liked to seen us at least take a shot at the more athletic player who can play at both ends than him.  We don't have such a great team where we can afford to use that pick on a situational scorer IMO. 

#40 : April 18, 2007, 02:48:18 AM

Why would the Clippers be ready to dump Livingston. They invested a high draft pick in him, his stock is literally flatlined, and when healthy he is a 6'6 PG that can do it all

If Darko is making 9 mil per year, Nelson is making 7 mil per year, and Howard us making 15 mil, why wouldnt we have enough to give another max deal or close to it? We have no other big $$ committed anywhere else, aside form Hedo's 7 mil per year. Like Leeroy said, dont forget the Larry Bird rule. The question will be whether we are willing to spend that much, not whetehr we are capable or not

Ray, I agree and I was a Brewer and Carney fan last year. Still the Re**CENSORED** pick wanst bad. I think we are 1 player away from making the Re**CENSORED** pick worthwhile. 1 more stud offensive playmaker and Re**CENSORED** will be a perfect niche player on this team. We will have the defensive stoppers to help him on that end, and offensive go to guys and inside threats to get him open shots on offense. Just my opinion anyways. regardless the Fran Vasquez pick was far worse considering there were more quality players to choose from than there was when we picked Re**CENSORED**. We couldve had Sean May, Rashad McCants, Gerald Green, Danny Granger, Joey Graham, and I think 1-2 more guys who wouldve been great fits.

rocketspeed

Practice Squad

#41 : April 20, 2007, 01:23:25 AM

If Rick Carlisle were to get fired, I'd love for the Magic to replace Hill for Rick.

IMO

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#42 : April 27, 2007, 07:30:23 PM

Aside from the fact that he can't dribble or shoot. I really like him too, but he's a huge offesnsive liability. Hopefull he can become a Bruce Bowen type of player since he's already a very good defender.

That's why I said Bruce Bowen.  They taught him to shoot. 
You can teach a guy to shoot and I'm not sure "offensive" liability is the best or even an accurate label for Ariza.

-chris

dmxatf23

Second String

#43 : April 27, 2007, 06:46:38 PM

Aside from the fact that he can't dribble or shoot.  I really like him too, but he's a huge offesnsive liability.  Hopefull he can become a Bruce Bowen type of player since he's already a very good defender.

You can teach a guy to shoot and I'm not sure "offensive" liability is the best or even an accurate label for Ariza.

-chris

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#44 : April 24, 2007, 12:01:14 PM

Every moment of the Pistons series has me wishing we had Billups on our side - or just a true PG in general.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Magic Offseason « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools