Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The Real Deal about Kelly « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

alldaway

Hall of Famer
#45 : October 27, 2006, 10:04:25 AM

Kelly does have trade value becuase if Booger "I like Golf" Mcfarland, Keyshawn "Deactivated" Johnson, and Keenan "I did not like the contract I signed but I have a Super Bowl ring" McCardell alll have returned some interesting compensations in trades then I imagine some team will jump at the chance with Kelly.  Booger for a second round pick, Keenan for a fifth and a third, and Keyshawn for Galloway.

Track record says Bruce may find a way afterall.

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#46 : October 27, 2006, 10:05:25 AM

I really don't understand why Kelly was put on IR.   He should be able to play in about 5 weeks.   

Itchalot

Hall of Famer
#47 : October 27, 2006, 04:52:06 PM

I think your posts on this thread are full of BS and your talking out your azz. The difference between McCardell and other NFL players is, other NFL players dont sign a contract and then hold out for a better contract less than 2 years later. Kelly was drafted by this team and has NEVER been anything but loyal and soft spoken. He's not some guy who asks for all the attention, he isnt an ego maniac. I trust that he is smart enough to acknowledge that his meager contract is not his fault or the fault of the BUcs but was simply due to bad timing.

He was unhappy last offseason and people wondered if he would hold out then. Do you think he's going to be happier now?  You have a lot of trust  in Kelly to be a good boy.  I don't have anything against Kelly myself and I would rather see him across from Barber for another year.  I just don't see it happening.   Sorry.  Ronde you are one of the people who always insists everything is fine in Bucland...until it isn't.  And you get upset if somebody dares to think that the defense won't be #1 this year or that we might have trouble containing the Saints running game. Fine its all fine.  Fine if you want to take that approach thats your business.  I don't know what the point of it is.

#48 : October 27, 2006, 05:19:32 PM

I would agree with you that I tend to deflect all the "drama" people try and insist is going on. I just think people like to overanalyze thiings too much, and create problems or off the wall explanations when they're not there.

Dont remember saying the Saints wouldnt run on the bUcs, maybe that is just an example of things I say. I have claimed for 3-4 years that the Bucs defense is not undersized against the run. When we are playing great against teh run everyone says that the 1-gap system is great, and when we struggle against the run they say we are undersized. Ive seen this defense manhandle "big backs" a lot of times, but in the years we dont play disciplined gap control everyone wants to say that big backs kill us.

But anyway, what was the extent of Kelly being unhappy last season? Do you know? You seem to think you know. Ive been hearing Ronde was upset for a coupel years now too. I'm sorry but Im not taking that as more than what it is. A couple guys upset because they signed their big pay day contract the year before the Anthony Henry's of the world were having insane contracts thrown at them. Everyone said Ronde would hold out, but what did that come from? It was pure speculation by media and gossip crazed fans. Barber was ready to play into the final year of his contract and I dont see Kelly being any different. Kelly has showed not the smallest sign that he is unhappy with the organizantion or his treatment for the past 7 years, so i wont take your speculation for anything more than it is until I hear him or his agent say something along the lines that Kelly is unhappy with the front office

#49 : October 27, 2006, 05:24:26 PM

ADW, good post. Good points. Maybe Kelly does net the Bucs a draft pick. Im just looking at the things other teams will look at and I find iti hard to believe. 32 year old CB, when CBs tend to declinen like RB do with age. Coming off a season in which he played oen game, and had an injury that has forced others to retire in the past. Considered a system CB by some, although I think the GMs around the league would be smart enough to tell he is more than that, but either way he has been underrated his whole career. I think him and Ronde are both top 10 CB, but I dont think most around the league will see Kelly as a top 10 CB.

Either way, you make a good point about all the other trades Allen made and the value the guys had that he traded

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#50 : October 27, 2006, 06:37:00 PM

I really don't understand why Kelly was put on IR.   He should be able to play in about 5 weeks.   

He hasn't had surgery yet and he will probably be off his feet a few weeks when he does.  The surgery is a guaranteed fix for the problem either, so fingers crossed he is back at 100% in 2007.

BTownBucFan

Hall of Famer
#51 : October 27, 2006, 08:03:32 PM

I don't know if we'll get too much for him.  I think teams would rather wait to see if we release him or maybe offer a late pick or two.  I think we'll miss Kelly.  If we truely lose him next year, then we'll need to make sure we see Clements or address that side high in the draft.  I've been suprised to see Bolden fill in as well as he has, but also don't expect to see him continue this recent success.  I think we'll start to see teams go to his side more and more as the season goes on.

#52 : October 27, 2006, 08:49:13 PM

. He's one of the best shut down corners in football.
I hope you're joking. Kelly's GOOD in coverage, but there are plenty of better true shutdown corners.

Itchalot

Hall of Famer
#53 : October 28, 2006, 12:04:45 AM

Ronde yes PR had an article or two last offseason about the unhappiness of Kelly so I'm not making it up. 

Here is one comment from a Flynn Focus of last February. Forgive me for posting insider info, but its past its expiration date:

CB Brian Kelly - Although he's scheduled to receive a $400,000 roster bonus on Mar. 3, Kelly probably isn't going anywhere. Kelly, who helped Tampa Bay's defense finish the 2005 season ranked No. 1 overall by notching four interceptions and 16 passes defensed, will have a cap charge of $3.636 million in 2006. He's under contract with the Bucs through 2008. The only thing that could keep Kelly from being on Tampa Bay's roster in 2006 is a holdout. Some have speculated that Kelly would want a new deal should Barber be rewarded with one. Bucs general manager Bruce Allen doesn't deal with holdouts, evidenced by the end result of former Bucs WR Keenan McCardell's holdout in 2004.

BTown the Bucs don't have to cut Kelly because his contract does not put an undue amount of stress on the cap. So teams will have to trade for him. I don't see the Bucs cutting him unless this turf toe is so bad that he can't play next year. I haven't heard anything like that.

BUCFAN4LIFE

Pro Bowler

#54 : October 29, 2006, 01:26:39 AM

. He's one of the best shut down corners in football.
I hope you're joking. Kelly's GOOD in coverage, but there are plenty of better true shutdown corners.

Not that can play zone and man up on an island as well thats gets paid what Kelly does-- He is a bargain and is hands down the best true cover corner this team has seen in a decade. The talk around here is Clement and he wants 5-7 mil a year. Kelly with similar numbers 3.4 mil next year. If he can get over the injury it is a no brainer.

#55 : October 29, 2006, 12:35:20 PM

Sorry Ichalot, but I dont see anywhere in that article that says Kelly is unhappy. It is just specualtion by PR that Kelly would be unhappy. Nowhere is there any sign that he is. Ive read all the insider articles you have. Kelly might be unhappy with his contract, I actually think Ive read an article that says he is and if I havent I assume he would be. He is not getting paid what hes worth. HOWEVER, both he and Ronde have acknowledged that they were unlucky to become FAs in 2001 and 2002, since 2003 is when CB starting getting drastically overpaid. Neither of them were mad at the BUcs, just at the timing. My point is, theres no more proof Kelly will holdout than there was that Ronde would hold out. Everyone 'specualted' that Ronde would hold out for the past 2 years, but it never happened and he ended up getting extended. You say I am quick to get in denial mode, but I think I will choose that over basless speculation that doesnt apply to a players history. Kelly has been a good soldier, he signed a contract with the BUcs as a FA and I just dont see him holding out. Its a possibility of course, but not one that is worthy of making a thread and talking about his soon to be departure
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The Real Deal about Kelly « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools