Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: If women want equality... « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6

#30 : April 14, 2007, 10:26:09 PM

I will challenge him to a drinking competition followed by a trolley dash around Home Depot.

#31 : April 14, 2007, 10:28:26 PM

Can you feel the love?

I feel the love.

I feel all warm and cuddly now.

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#32 : April 14, 2007, 10:43:29 PM

This is some funny stuff!   Great thread.   LOL!   

But gettting back to topic, I do always take my hat off.   I've never seen any woman take their hat off.  But that's because it takes them 5 minutes to put it back on.   So I'm not too worried about it.

#33 : April 14, 2007, 10:50:36 PM

But gettting back to topic, I do always take my hat off.

It drives me crazy when people don’t stand and take their hats off, and its not even my national anthem.

DBrooksIsMyDaddy

Pro Bowler

#34 : April 14, 2007, 10:50:36 PM

I'm interested in the hat debate because my grandfather owned a hat factory back in the day when men wore hats all the time.  And there were all these rules about men's hats, like not ever wearing them indoors, not tipping your hat to a man (insult), always wearing them outside, etc.

'Kay, assuming (and this is a huge leap) that Miss Manners is the knowledgeable one on this subject, here's what she says: 

"Men aren't expected anymore to tip their hats in passing to women, but they are expected to remove them during the National Anthem. But are women required to do so?

"If it's a formal hat, even during the National Anthem, a woman would not remove her hat," Witt said. {hat etiquette expert}

Not everybody understand that rule, however, and some people take offense when a woman leaves her hat on. In those cases, Witt suggests it is better to set protocol aside for civility and harmony. "Sometimes it's better to succumb to the moment," she said.

Why are there different rules for men and women? Nationally syndicated columnist Miss Manners suspects it may have to do with the dramatically different styles of men's and women's hats.

Men's hats are easily removed, but women's hats with ribbons, bows, flowers and other decorations can be quite a production to remove, especially if they're anchored with hat pins.

Fair enough, but what if the woman and man are both wearing baseball caps? Does it make sense that only the man takes off his headgear during the National Anthem? Probably not, Miss Manners suggests. Without the traditional ladies' hat, she wrote, "you cannot claim the ladies' exemption."
http://www.villagehatshop.com/hat_etiquette.html

karen anderson

Practice Squad

#35 : April 14, 2007, 10:54:04 PM

Well, I certainly feel edumacated about hat ettiquette!

DBrooksIsMyDaddy

Pro Bowler

#36 : April 14, 2007, 10:55:09 PM

lol

#37 : April 14, 2007, 11:18:33 PM

First off it's my God given right to take my hat off or leave it on during the anthem, and it doesn't make me any more or any less respectful than someone else who does do it. And trust me it doesn't matter who is around me at any game, you touch my hat and you are disrespecting ME and we will both probably end up tossed out for getting into a brawl over it(and no one has even come close to trying to do that yet).

#38 : April 14, 2007, 11:23:20 PM

It's a thug's wrath, politically contracts and blood baths....ON THE INTERNETS!

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#39 : April 15, 2007, 12:11:13 AM

I am anti(Iraq)war and I always take off my hat. But I have yet to see others around me
not stand because they were anti-war protesters.

I don't care what other people do during the anthem. I could care less. It's a freaking hat
people. Get a life or find something more important to get pissed about.

First off it's my God given right to take my hat off or leave it on during the anthem, and it doesn't make me any more or any less respectful than someone else who does do it. And trust me it doesn't matter who is around me at any game, you touch my hat and you are disrespecting ME and we will both probably end up tossed out for getting into a brawl over it(and no one has even come close to trying to do that yet).

11th Commandment - Thou shall have power over whether or not to remove hat during sporting events.

Chrispy, I would not be getting into a brawl with you. I haven't been in a fight since I was 14 or 15. I
matured and realized how infantile fighting was/is.

karen anderson

Practice Squad

#40 : April 15, 2007, 12:32:18 AM

What I can't understand is how the whole hat thing has anything to do with women's rights/equality.

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#41 : April 15, 2007, 12:33:00 AM

Chrispy, I would not be getting into a brawl with you. I haven't been in a fight since I was 14 or 15. I
matured and realized how infantile fighting was/is.

LOL!    Talk about a backwards slap in the face.  

#42 : April 15, 2007, 12:58:39 AM

I haven't been in a fight either in a loooong time because a) no one has tried to pick one with me, and b) I haven't gone looking for one; and I might not take off my hat but I will bow my head or put my hand over my heart and nobody has ever had a problem with that(or if they did they never said nothing about it).

catch2355

Practice Squad

#43 : April 15, 2007, 01:04:10 PM

I haven't been in a fight either in a loooong time because a) no one has tried to pick one with me, and b) I haven't gone looking for one; and I might not take off my hat but I will bow my head or put my hand over my heart and nobody has ever had a problem with that(or if they did they never said nothing about it).

the way you act on here alot of people would want to fight you in real life.

#44 : April 15, 2007, 01:07:37 PM

The way I act on here is nothing more than a REACTION to things said to me most the time, so as long as those things aren't said to me in person (and they're usually not) then it's all good with nothing to worry about.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: If women want equality... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools