Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Calling on the Buckeyes on this Board! Oden, Conley, Cook to the NBA « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#30 : April 15, 2007, 10:02:59 PM

I'm not complaining about it & lots of people go there to read. And I know Buc Buckeye does as well.

tbbb (DE-emphasis noted)? I check it to see what is being discussed - less than I used to - this is a superior environment, with superior posters and information. Recognize some posters from that environment, and once in a while get a lead on a story - like I said, less and less...

Oden needs another year of seasoning but IMO he does have an NBA ready shot/game - his head & heart could use another year in college.

The word I've head is that a decision was to be made this evening.

WHat shot?

He has no offensive shot.  He relied on his size in college, and scored mostly on dunks.  He needs to develop a few post moves and maybe a 10-15 footer IMO. 

See AL Horford this year vs. last year as an example. 

But, Oden will go to the NBA and learn on the job.  I don't think he'll do much on offense  for a year or 2 but if he works at it he'll become better on that end.

The White Tiger

Hall of Famer

#31 : April 15, 2007, 10:10:33 PM

Hey Ray - don't want to be contentious - I think he looks a lot like Shaq coming out of school - with the exception that he can usually shoot a foul shot - righty/lefty. In the Miami Heat/LA Laker triangle offense he could be plugged in and learn what he doesn't know and be successful. He's got a baby hook, A soft jumper and the move to the rim...what else will he really need in the NBA at 7' 0" - I'm not even sure he's done growing yet.

Appreciate the posts and the opinion!

Incomparable sig by Incognito

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#32 : April 15, 2007, 10:21:16 PM

Hey Ray - don't want to be contentious - I think he looks a lot like Shaq coming out of school - with the exception that he can usually shoot a foul shot - righty/lefty. In the Miami Heat/LA Laker triangle offense he could be plugged in and learn what he doesn't know and be successful. He's got a baby hook, A soft jumper and the move to the rim...what else will he really need in the NBA at 7' 0" - I'm not even sure he's done growing yet.

Appreciate the posts and the opinion!

Well, the 8-10 times I saw him, I saw him dunk.  He had pretty much no other effective offensive move, I damn sure didn't see any "soft" jumper, the baby hook was marginal at best.  Obviously at 7 feet he is going to need a whole lot, but saying he has an NBA "shot" is ridiculous.  He has a long way to go, both offensively and leaning to keep his butt on the floor.

Shaq was MUCH more polished coming out of College, plus Shaq was about 50 LBS. heavier and an inch taller.  Shaq played 3 years at LSU, and was much more NBA ready.  The only thing Oden has on Shaq is the FT shooting.

The Heat also don't run a triangle offense.

The White Tiger

Hall of Famer

#33 : April 15, 2007, 10:48:18 PM

No triangle offense? They certainly look interchangeable with the offense the Lakers run - call it whatever you want. With a Dwayne Wade doing a nice immitation of Kobe and Shaq - as himself...and nevermind. It's not what I wanted to talk about.

My point is that I don't want Oden to leave - I would prefer he stayed and developed, good for him and good for OSU - he would no doubt be better for it. My point is he has what he needs for the NBA now...he can learn the rest. Did you see any highlights from high school? In many ways he was better conditioned and had a more complete game (of course it WAS high school) - I think the injury he had kept him off the court. His size was not the only thing that got the NBA scouts looking and drooling.

The Oden your seeing has been recovering from a sever injury that kept him out of the first 7 games this year AND he hasn't fully recovered from. He's essentially working on his LEFT handed game by neccisity. No shot? Check out this link from a page 2 article:
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=odendurant/070126

Excerpt from Keiran Darcy's article "... Oden drops turnaround hook shots with his off hand like he's been a lefty all his life."

Incomparable sig by Incognito

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#34 : April 15, 2007, 10:56:52 PM

Ok, if you say so.

He needs to develop some post moves, a shot, and become more adept at staying out of foul trouble, so he should stay in school.  However, he's 19, he's going to be #1 (at worst #2), make a boatload in endorsements and salary, and can only hurt his stock.  Therefore he's coming out.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Calling on the Buckeyes on this Board! Oden, Conley, Cook to the NBA « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools