Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Booger for Nate Clements... « previous next »
Page: 1 2

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

: October 26, 2006, 08:46:15 AM

I read that in Sporting News. We were offering Booger for Clements. Granted Clements will be a FA and we would have had to sign him. I'm all for the route we took. We get a 2nd round pick and we could still potientially sign Clements. Not sure who called off the deal, bucs or Bills.

What would you guys have done, Booger for Clements or Booger for a 2nd?

Baghead #2

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#1 : October 26, 2006, 08:49:24 AM

Good question. I'm not to familiar with Clements but would think the draft pick gives you more options to make other moves. If Clements is a FA anyway I'm sure the Bucs will go after him.

Pick6

Hall of Famer
#2 : October 26, 2006, 09:21:33 AM

while we still have the chance to sign him in FA (if he's not tagged by his team), i think a sure thing would be better than a draft pick.....if you knew your second round pick would start right away and put in a pro-bowl-type performances for the next 5 or 6 years, would you take it? i would, and that's basically the trade-off we're talking about.

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

#3 : October 26, 2006, 09:34:47 AM

i think a sure thing would be better than a draft pick.....
I totally agree. Some people think draft picks make tackles and score TD's. They seem to forget it's the player that does that, and they don't always tackle and score TD's. Draft pick is a blank label. Give me a player who already plays and plays well.

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#4 : October 26, 2006, 09:38:50 AM

Guys, Clements is going to be a UFA at the end of the year and the Bucs have massive $$$$$ if they really want him. So they can sign him along with getting a 2nd round pick for Booger.......

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

#5 : October 26, 2006, 09:44:46 AM

Guys, Clements is going to be a UFA at the end of the year and the Bucs have massive $$$$$ if they really want him. So they can sign him along with getting a 2nd round pick for Booger.......
Some other team could sign him or offer him money that is way more than he deserves, and more than we may be willing to pay. If the option of trading for a good player, or waiting until he becomes a FA, I'd choose to trade for him. Deal pending on restructuring of the contract so you're not renting a player for a few months. This way you're only competing with the player and his agent in your negotiaitons, and not a slew of other spend happy teams.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#6 : October 26, 2006, 09:50:48 AM

I do not like the idea of trading for a player that will be an UFA in the off season.  There is no guarantee you can sign them to a long term deal *cough* Thomas Jones*cough*.  That is why a second round pick is better. Not to mention you still have an oppurtunity to obtain his services  this upcoming free agency while still holding a second round pick.

BucsPirate

Pro Bowler

#7 : October 26, 2006, 10:40:45 AM

The Bucs would not have traded for him without being able to come to an agreement on a contract extension first, and Clements and his agent surely had high demands, because once he hits the FA market he could well become the highest paid corner in the league.

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#8 : October 26, 2006, 12:29:47 PM

Here is why you take the pick instead of the player.

1. You can get Clements in the offseason
2. You get an extra pick
3. If you cannot get him in FA because someone will overpay, you couldn't keep him on the team if you traded for him in the first place, resulting in missing out on a pick (he is still going to be a FA in 07 regardless)

You take the extra pick (2nd rounder) and you try to get Clements in the offseason. Either way if we did trade for clements we would still have to pay $$$$$$$$$ to sign him in 07. I know draft picks don't start and turn in Pro Bowl seasons but what is better, getting a draft pick and possibly a player or getting no draft pick and possibly a player?

Baghead #2

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#9 : October 26, 2006, 12:37:18 PM

The Bucs would not have traded for him without being able to come to an agreement on a contract extension first, and Clements and his agent surely had high demands, because once he hits the FA market he could well become the highest paid corner in the league.

It better be because of market inflation, because the guy is not the best corner in the league, that is for sure.

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

#10 : October 26, 2006, 12:51:05 PM

WOW, you would think some of you have never heard of any teams trading on the condition of a renegotiated contract, and if after a certain amount of time a deal can't be reached between player and new team the trade was nulified. Same as on condition of a physical. Seems a couple of our resident know-it-alls are missing that point.

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#11 : October 26, 2006, 01:07:58 PM

BBG, that is the whole point, they couldn't sign him to a conditioned contract so they took the pick, that is why you take the pick and not the player. What is better a 2nd round pick or 10 more weeks with a player?

Baghead #2

SamoaJoeBucFan

Starter

#12 : October 26, 2006, 02:38:16 PM

I like the pick.  The more picks you have the better chance you have of seeing them pan out and play well.  We have 4 top picks.  If one turns out to be a bust, we still had a good day.

gone

Hall of Famer
#13 : October 27, 2006, 01:20:21 AM

WOW, you would think some of you have never heard of any teams trading on the condition of a renegotiated contract, and if after a certain amount of time a deal can't be reached between player and new team the trade was nulified. Same as on condition of a physical. Seems a couple of our resident know-it-alls are missing that point.
But if the renegotiation falls through after the deadline you can't try another team...

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

#14 : October 27, 2006, 11:03:57 AM

But if the renegotiation falls through after the deadline you can't try another team...
Deadline for the negotiation, you don't take your self up to the trade deadline and back yourself into a corner.
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Booger for Nate Clements... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools