Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Vince Young Will Be On The Cover Of Madden 2008 « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

bucs1

Practice Squad
: April 16, 2007, 08:51:16 PM

From ProFootballTalk.com: http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

UNCLE RICO IS MADDEN'S COVER BOY

Terry McCormick of the Nashville City Paper reports that Titans quarterback Vince Young will grace the cover of Madden 2008, the only NFL-licensed football video game.

Young is the first one-year player to appear the cover of the game.  In past seasons, a Madden curse has been tied to players who have gotten this "honor."  Guys who suffered injury or ineffectiveness in the season on which they appeared on the cover of the most popular football title include Daunte Culpepper (2001, for Madden 2002), Ray Lewis (2004, for Madden 2005), Donovan McNabb (2005, for Madden 2006), and Shaun Alexander (2006, for Madden 2007).

Ever since Electronic Arts locked up the exclusive NFL license, we've regarded the cover shot as a waste of money.  But with the powers-that-be now apparently shifting to an up-and-coming player from an up-and-coming team, the move might motivate some Titans/Vince fans who have never bought the game to give it a try -- and it might prompt some Titans/Vince fans who realize that the game isn't that much different from year to year to break out the $50 bucks or so to get the latest version of it.

Recently, the Madden franchise has linked the player on the cover to some type of innovation to the game.  With Ray Lewis in Madden '05, there was a renewed focus on defense.  With Donovan McNabb in Madden '06, the passing game got an overhaul.  With Shaun Alexander in Madden '07, the running game was tweaked.

So maybe the selection of Young was influenced by the addition of, say, a Wonderlic exam to the pre-draft activities.

karen anderson

Practice Squad

#1 : April 16, 2007, 08:52:54 PM

The poor, poor Titans!

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#2 : April 16, 2007, 08:54:38 PM

Well, they could get lucky as it looks like the curse didn't work for 2003 and 2004 Madden Cover Boys.

Fresh

Hall of Famer

#3 : April 16, 2007, 09:03:08 PM

Man, I want to see Vince Young do good, I hope he breaks the curse. Why not Manning or Tom Brady? Brady was never on a cover and yet you put the ROY? Hum..

Quote from: True Playa
I'm a playa from way back and playa's gotta play. I'm straight pimpin'. Southside OG's keep it real. Represent the third coast.

bucs1

Practice Squad
#4 : April 16, 2007, 09:06:52 PM

Man, I want to see Vince Young do good, I hope he breaks the curse. Why not Manning or Tom Brady? Brady was never on a cover and yet you put the ROY? Hum..

If Vince Young goes on the cover, I think that Cadillac Williams should have gotten a shot to be on the cover.

Fresh

Hall of Famer

#5 : April 16, 2007, 09:09:25 PM

Cadillac 24 did they say what the new features of the new madden going to be? They already got QB vision what could it be?

I'm a playa from way back and playa's gotta play. I'm straight pimpin'. Southside OG's keep it real. Represent the third coast.

Fresh

Hall of Famer

#6 : April 16, 2007, 09:10:47 PM

That would be grimy if they added a wonderlic score garbage on the madden.

bucs1

Practice Squad
#7 : April 16, 2007, 09:11:36 PM

That would be grimy if they added a wonderlic score garbage on the madden.

LOL ;D   Yeah.

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#8 : April 16, 2007, 09:11:48 PM

This is unbelievable news.    I'll always remember where I was the day I heard this.   The Kennedy assasination, 9/11, and Vince Young being announced on the cover of Madden will all remain forever engraved in my mind.

bucs1

Practice Squad
#9 : April 16, 2007, 09:12:21 PM

Cadillac 24 did they say what the new features of the new madden going to be? They already got QB vision what could it be?

I don't know.  That's a good question.

karen anderson

Practice Squad

#10 : April 16, 2007, 09:22:55 PM

This is unbelievable news.    I'll always remember where I was the day I heard this.   The Kennedy assasination, 9/11, and Vince Young being announced on the cover of Madden will all remain forever engraved in my mind.
LOL @ Java!!

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#11 : April 16, 2007, 09:30:55 PM

While he showed great leadership akills, that defense propped him uo more than he propped the team up.  He is not worthy of a MAdden cover, IMO.  Not yet anyway.

I like to think that the cover should be graced by ability, and not hype and potential...

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#12 : April 16, 2007, 09:45:13 PM

IT'S A VIDEO GAME COVER!  We're not talking an MVP award here.  A hyped player for a hyped game....seems to fit for me.

As for VY, that Defense didn't seem to prop the Titans up when VY wasn't in....04 without him starting, 8-4 with.  Weird how that works.  VY didn't have great numbers but he made great plays when needed....whether it was getting a clutch 1st down running, making a key pas on 3rd down, scrambling for a winning TD, whatever.  He made plays.  That team was much better with him at the helm than without.  He made everyone around him bettter.  Can't put a stat on that.  He propped that TEAM and defense more than they propped him.

#13 : April 16, 2007, 09:46:18 PM

Dude the Madden cover means all...IT MEANS ALL MAN!

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#14 : April 16, 2007, 09:51:17 PM

LOL.

I could care less who is on the cover.

2K5 had TO on the cover, who I hate, but I loved the game.......
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Vince Young Will Be On The Cover Of Madden 2008 « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools