Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Interesting comparison « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#15 : April 18, 2007, 02:23:50 AM

(fart)

Anyone see where I left my Aqua Net hair spray so I can comb my mullet in the shape I envision it in my mind?

I am thinking a bit of Kip Winger, and some Snake Sabo mixed in...

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#16 : April 18, 2007, 05:09:14 AM

If you talk to any journalist, the geographically closer an event is to you, the more coverage you give it.  Warehouse fire in Tampa?  Only shown locally, unless there are some good flame shots and it's a slow news day, then it will be shown in other Florida markets, too.  Mudslide in the Philippines?  It'll only be shown here if there are thousands dead, or some clear video.  People are more interested in things that happen closer to them, to people that they can relate to more.

We react to what the media covers. But I also get Sparky's point.

15,000 (mostly elderly) French died in the month of August, 2003. That's 500
a day for thirty days. How many of us even remember that? 35,000 total dead
in Europe during the same time period. Heat wave killed them...

The way people die and under what circumstances affects our response in a
big way. As some of you already noted.

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#17 : April 18, 2007, 05:24:01 AM

Yep, surely every non-American is so ignorant to blame every person in a country for the actions of it's leader. Tell me Mr. Sparky, do you blame all North Koreans for having a wacko leader?
This wacko came here legally from South Korea. Dictators are not elected. Presidents are, and muslims blame our President and the people that elected him for their situation in the middle east in general and Iraq in particular. Whether you want to admit it or not, they have a valid point. We had no right to invade and overthrow the government of another country. Bush made that mistake and all Americans have become targets for muslims around the world. We have lost any respect we once had and become both feared and hated. We have also become numb to the ever rising death toll in Iraq. Unless we are directly effected we just don't care anymore. Obviously no one here is directly effected.

#18 : April 18, 2007, 09:23:09 AM

We react to what the media covers.

No, the media covers what experience has shown them we will react to.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#19 : April 18, 2007, 09:26:44 AM

We have also become numb to the ever rising death toll in Iraq. Unless we are directly effected we just don't care anymore.

Very true. And the media is more concerned with who is Anna's baby's Daddy.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#20 : April 18, 2007, 09:28:13 AM

We react to what the media covers.

No, the media covers what experience has shown them we will react to.

Can't really argue with that. They need ratings and $$$. It shouldn't be
about that. News shows should be about informing us. Yeah right.

#21 : April 18, 2007, 04:46:55 PM

This wacko came here legally from South Korea. Dictators are not elected. Presidents are, and muslims blame our President and the people that elected him for their situation in the middle east in general and Iraq in particular. Whether you want to admit it or not, they have a valid point. We had no right to invade and overthrow the government of another country. Bush made that mistake and all Americans have become targets for muslims around the world. We have lost any respect we once had and become both feared and hated. We have also become numb to the ever rising death toll in Iraq. Unless we are directly effected we just don't care anymore. Obviously no one here is directly effected.

30 something college students died and they weren't in the wrong place at the wrong time. If you are living in Iraq you are always in teh wrong place at the wrong time. It's that simple. I wont be shocked when someone dies in Compton like i will be if someone dies in a rich neighborhood that has low crime rates.

#22 : April 18, 2007, 04:52:35 PM

Yep, surely every non-American is so ignorant to blame every person in a country for the actions of it's leader. Tell me Mr. Sparky, do you blame all North Koreans for having a wacko leader?

I know he came from SK, that wasn't a part of my comparison what so ever. And as a great man once said, it's better to be feared than loved.

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#23 : April 18, 2007, 05:53:24 PM

Ether, you have a strage idea of what makes a man great.
188 dead in four blasts today in Iraq.  What a mess.

#24 : April 18, 2007, 05:54:37 PM

I apologize for Machiavelli being one of my favorite historic figures, but whatever.

krazybuc

Hall of Famer

#25 : April 18, 2007, 06:14:27 PM

Here's the difference...

soldiers in Iraq...while tragic still... SIGNED UP VOLUNTARILY TO PUT THEIR LIVES ON THE LINE.

students in Virginia... SIGNED UP VOLUNTARILY TO GET AN EDUCATION.

Seems a little different dont it?

And as far as the french and blah blah about the rest of the world. Seriously, dont care. Not my country, Not my problem. By bringing up dead in other countries, I guess we are safe to assume that you are constantly upset by all the news you read and are truly the most caring person in the world. Sort of a mother theresa and gandhi combined.

Congrats on being superior to us all and gracing us with your piece of crap worthless thread.

#26 : April 19, 2007, 01:06:00 AM

Actually Krazy, I tihnk he was mocking the lack of public outcry in this nation when innocent Iraqi civilians are killed.

EDIT: Actually I think he was talking about both the deaths of our soldiers and their civilians, so my bad.

Even still he is comparing the deaths of foreigners who choose to live in a terror filled country to US college students who were living in a country where terrorism doesnt reign supreme and who actually died in a place where they were trying to become productive parts of our society. He is comparing deaths caused daily by fringe Muslim extremists to deaths caused in a single day by a mentally ill boy. There are so many levels where his theory can be easily discredited that its barely worth it

And if we are talking about the amount of mourning that is done for US troops that die, compared to 32 college students who died I think the outcry is similar. Again you are comparing a few thousand deaths spread out over the period of 4 years compared to 30 something deaths in one morning. I dont know how you can compare the shock, surprise, and reaction to news of each kind of death but IMO the level of mourning nation wide is similar

The area where I will disagree with you Krazy is when you say that the death of US troops is somehow less upsetting or tragic since they knowingly put themself in the way of danger. If anything, the deaths of these troops is even more upsetting since they are putting themselves in harms way for us.

Eitehr way this thread is pontless, and like comparing apples to oranges

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#27 : April 19, 2007, 02:30:42 AM

Even still he is comparing the deaths of foreigners who choose to live in a terror filled country to US college students who were living in a country where terrorism doesnt reign supreme and who actually died in a place where they were trying to become productive parts of our society. He is comparing deaths caused daily by fringe Muslim extremists to deaths caused in a single day by a mentally ill boy. There are so many levels where his theory can be easily discredited that its barely worth it

Choose to live in a terror filled country? I guess they should all just pick up their belongings and move here?
What a ridiculous statement. Especially since the violence is a direct result of us being there.

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#28 : April 19, 2007, 02:33:22 AM

the only comparsion between the Iraq and VT... Both saddam and this scum killed innocent people and both are rotting in hell.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#29 : April 19, 2007, 02:41:34 AM

Hell? You actually believe in such a place?
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Interesting comparison « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools