Boards > Pirate's Cove

Sex, Marriage, Monogamy and Jealousy

(1/4) > >>

ufojoe:

There's been a few threads and discussions lately on sex, marriage, infidelity,
and other related subjects.

My questions, intended to promote discussion, are these:

1) Is jealousy an emotion we are born with or is it taught/learned?

2) Is monogamy the natural state for humans?

I won't go first this time but I think several of you know my feelings on this...

Who's first?

Rusty:
joe,

IMHO jealousy is an emotion we are born with. I think monogamy is more natural for women than for men. I am not, however, advocating adultery. Sex is very emotional for women, for men it's like brushing your teeth. We'd do it three times a day if we could and wouldn't remember who we did it with the day before.

alstott40:
1) no your born with it, stems back to win kids have bigger better toys then you, you naturally want it, and if you dont get it your jelous over it

2) I would say in the 50's and 60's when poeple it wasnt common to cheat, or when the stepford wifes would condem you, I would say this day in age monogamy does not happen or at least not talked about

gruber:
Jealousy is somthing your born with.  Alstott 40 said it exactly how iwas going to.

Monogamy... Well Joe I think you know my feeling on that know. What do they say that only 2 types of mammals are manogamous, humans being one. I feel monogamy is due to moral and social acceptance  it is not a natural state.

Ironphist:
i think chasing tail falls under one of them there inalienable rights - pursuit of tail or something like dat...

mjs020294:

--- Quote from: Rusty on April 17, 2007, 12:18:53 PM ---joe,

IMHO jealousy is an emotion we are born with. I think monogamy is more natural for women than for men. I am not, however, advocating adultery. Sex is very emotional for women, for men it's like brushing your teeth.
--- End quote ---

Partially true yet married women have affairs more than married men. 

When I was young and immature I used to get jealous.  These days I am confident in my relationship and I don't have an ounce of jealousy in me quite honestly.  We can’t control the feelings of our loved ones we can simply influence them.  Most types of jealousy are particularly unattractive and I just don’t go there under any circumstances.

GulfShore:
In my small world of sociological analysis,  jealously equates to greed which is innate. Greed for food, fire and flank. In other words it's biological, to survive and procreate. Monogamy is generally a societal concept, but can also be one borne out of biological greed as well. Monogamy also holds a position of value in society for other reasons, similar to marriage and religion, it's a mass control device.

Otherwise, it ain't nothin' but anarchy, baby! :-)

corruptpirate:
I think jealusy is a natural thing like anger and happiness. The idea of "you want something you can't have" is always in people.

As for monogamy, most modern societies look down upon it greatly. But honestly, if relationship was just based on sex alone, monogamy would not exist. There has to be something to keep two people together for a long time.

I like this quote:

--- Quote from: Ironphist on April 17, 2007, 05:37:15 PM ---i think chasing tail falls under one of them there inalienable rights - pursuit of tail or something like dat...

--- End quote ---

ufojoe:

Some days I think jealousy is taught and learned and some days I feel we are born with it.
IMO, there is a difference between envy and jealousy. But not enough to debate it here.

Only way to know if romantic jealousy is natural is for us to be brought up in a society
where monogamy is not practiced and then see how we feel about it our partners being
with others. But obviously, that's not going to happen. We have to speculate on what
it might have been like. Although, I'm sure there are studies somebody can find that
show how cultures which don't practice monogamy handle jealousy.

For sake of this debate, I'll assume that jealousy is a natural trait. IMO, I think we
can learn to overcome it and want what's best for our partners without jealousy
rearing its ugly head. Not an easy thing to do but possible, IMO. I think we can
also overcome greed. If, in fact, we are born to be greedy. I am not sure about
that one.

Also, IMO, monogamy is not our natural state. If we would just acknowledge this,
many relationship problems might be overcome. I think the 60s and free love
had part of the answer. There are people that practice open relationships today
and are successful at it. I have met some of them recently. It's not something
many people can handle or even want to try. But it DOES work for some and
their lives are better because of it.

Old Skool BucFan:
Jealousy is and can be a very dangerous emotion.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version