Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bad news for Urban « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 5

Snook

Hall of Famer
: April 18, 2007, 01:02:53 PM

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/basketball/ncaa/04/18/texting.ban.ap/index.html

bucnut

Hall of Famer
#1 : April 18, 2007, 01:08:29 PM

Not as much as for Billy G at UK.  :)

NFC South BBS Viva la Grudenistas!  GO GATORS!!!

Groovatron

Pro Bowler

#2 : April 18, 2007, 03:24:07 PM

Urban doesn't use text messaging. He uses telepathy.

Runole

Hall of Famer
#3 : April 18, 2007, 06:41:27 PM

This is a good choice by the NCAA since IMHO those that extensively use text messaging are clearly trying circumvent the rules of recruiting and permissible contacts  Truthfully, I believe that this is cheating.  It most certainly is intrusive.

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#4 : April 18, 2007, 10:47:21 PM

LOL.

Looks like one less thing for FSU to "steal" from UF with their new hire!!

Darn, all that money wasted......

Cheating?  LMAO!  Was there a rule against this?  IMO it is called using your resources.  Just because BB doesn't know what a text message is, you don't have to go around slinging accusations of cheating.  Maybe you should look up what cheating is and then get back to me.  Now if a coach were to Text next year that would certainly be cheating since it is now deemed illegal.  But up to this point it is nothing more than a smart tactic within the rules  used by MANY coaches to aid in recruiting.  Maybe if some coaches were more hands on and up with the times they would have used it as well.

Runole

Hall of Famer
#5 : April 19, 2007, 11:21:03 AM

Well Ray,  as a former student of UF ie (" Hell yes we cheat") your response is most predictable.  Anything still goes at UF!!  Bend the rules see how you can circumvent them.. 

No wonder Mr Toner in the NCAA uttered not so long ago...

"Unfortunately, during the five-year period in which the violations occurred," continued Mr. Toner, "the football coaching staff operated unimpeded by any effort being exerted by the university's director of athletics or any other administrative authority at the university to assure control of the football program. Due to this fact, as well as the serious nature of many of the violations in this case, the Committee on Infractions and the Council considered this to be among the most serious infractions cases ever processed by the NCAA.”

Oh and Ray back to the topic:   if "text messaging"is considered so proper why is the NCAA considering banning it??

And no  IYO "it is called using your resources"  IMO "it is called circumventing rules regarding the number of contacts allowed in recruiting"  It would appear that the NCAA is in line with my thinking...

Still waiting on the alleged "Deion violation" you have inferred in the past..  Not a word from the NCAA!!   Must be more interested in stopping those attempting to circumvent rules on contact.

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#6 : April 19, 2007, 12:47:12 PM

LOL.

Typical Runole response in bringing up the past.  Tell me again how past violations or the Deion situation has anything to do with this?

It doesn't, just another WEAK attempt by you to try and jab at UF or myself.  Pathetic.

I never said the NCAA was coming down on FSU for Deion I questioned whether it opened doors for other former players to "recruit" that way. (I do think Devine signing with WV changed a lot, and had he signed with FSU a bigger deal would have been made of it)  Obviously you have a hard time distinguishing between a question and an accusation.  That doesn't surprise me since here you say someone cheated without breaking any rules.  Again, pathetic.  Tell me where there was a rule or ban against Text Messaging BEFORE this?  LOL, you going to make up anything else?  Certainly in the FUTURE any text messages being sent would be a violation and considered cheating, but anything before hand is strictly playing within the rules.  Again, maybe if Bobby bowden knew what a text message was FSU would have done the same and MAYBE had better luck with recruiting this year.  LMAO! 

Keep trying Runole!  Your extreme recent jealousy of UF is borderline psychotic!

Runole

Hall of Famer
#7 : April 19, 2007, 05:04:08 PM

Bending the rules of contact is what some programs work at others try to play by the rules.  Just a different philosophy and quite defining of different programs.

Of course some programs suffer serious sanctions due to this pushing of the envelope others don't.

Personal childish vitriol directed towards me won't change the facts.  That also defines you quite well.  Are you ready to go postal on me again???  LOL

The NCAA has strict rules involving contacting recruits.  That you wish to glorify the circumvention with the some new technology defines your ethics, and apparently UF's quite well based on their history on such matters.  Glad to see the NCAA agrees that this is unethical behavior that needs to be stopped.

#8 : April 19, 2007, 05:04:47 PM

What's the difference between text messaging and a phone call / email?

SON-OF-ZELL

Starter

#9 : April 20, 2007, 01:48:21 AM

Does want to put my informed two cents in.   I PERSONALLY know all of the Lakeland boys who have been recruited by Urban Meyer and his staff, nothing out of the ordinary was done in the process of these blue chips.   One thing I will tell you is that FSU did not do a very good job of recruiting any of these kids.  I talked to coach Haggins at probably four games that he was at last year and they just were not going after the guys for whatever reason.  He was there mostly to look at John Brown, but they did a horrible job of getting the Pouncey twins who would be starters at FSU as true Freshman.   For whatever reason they just didn't put any effort into it.   
Text messaging is

SON-OF-ZELL

Starter

#10 : April 20, 2007, 01:51:12 AM

( PART 2)  HIT A BAD KEY..........the kids are in to.  I agree that the TXT Messaging is a problem but when the rule is open it was used to the advantage of all of the coaches, except for probably FSU, not because of ETHICS, BUT BECAUSE THEY ARE A BUNCH OF DINOSOURS.   FSU got the living crap kicked out of them due to plain old hard work, work that FSU no longer want to do......they need a

SON-OF-ZELL

Starter

#11 : April 20, 2007, 01:51:58 AM

a whole new staff in order to compete with URban Meyer.....get used to being second fiddle as long as UM is in Gainesville.

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#12 : April 20, 2007, 02:30:24 AM

Bending the rules of contact is what some programs work at others try to play by the rules. Just a different philosophy and quite defining of different programs.

Of course some programs suffer serious sanctions due to this pushing of the envelope others don't.

Personal childish vitriol directed towards me won't change the facts. That also defines you quite well. Are you ready to go postal on me again??? LOL

The NCAA has strict rules involving contacting recruits. That you wish to glorify the circumvention with the some new technology defines your ethics, and apparently UF's quite well based on their history on such matters. Glad to see the NCAA agrees that this is unethical behavior that needs to be stopped.

LOL.

Of course Earl Okine was text messaged to inform him FSU was offering him a Scholly.  Bad news for FSU is he turned them down and accepted one from UF.  So sorry!!!

Text Messaging has become a COMMON practice by MANY schools, not just UF.  Until now, it was perfectly legal.  I am sure if Saint Bobby had figured out how to send a text message and did it you would have a completely different stance on this.  But since he doesn't know what a text message is, and Urban is among the coaches who use this you have a problem with it.  Typical MO for RUnole. 

Personal vitriol towards you?  LMAO.  You are the one trying to change the FACTS here.  You said Urban "cheated."  WRONG!  The FACTS are Urban used a perfectly LEGAL (meaning WITHIN the rules) way to contact recruits.   That is NOT cheating, it is called using the resources you have to do your job.  Just because Bobby hasn't been doing his job is no reason for you to sling accusations of cheating.  Typical for a Noles fan and you.  Always want to call someone a cheater, even though it is plain as day that ZERO rules were broken here.

You and your ridiculous attacks on myself and UF are PATHETIC and really show your extreme jealousy of UF's recent DOMINATION and FSU's recent spell of MEDIOCRITY!

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#13 : April 20, 2007, 02:43:14 AM

Does want to put my informed two cents in. I PERSONALLY know all of the Lakeland boys who have been recruited by Urban Meyer and his staff, nothing out of the ordinary was done in the process of these blue chips. One thing I will tell you is that FSU did not do a very good job of recruiting any of these kids. I talked to coach Haggins at probably four games that he was at last year and they just were not going after the guys for whatever reason. He was there mostly to look at John Brown, but they did a horrible job of getting the Pouncey twins who would be starters at FSU as true Freshman. For whatever reason they just didn't put any effort into it.
Text messaging is

Actually, FSU thought they had the Pouncey's signed, sealed and delivered but Rainey encouraged them to visit UF and when they did they were so impressed with coach Meyer and staff that they decided UF was the place for them.

SON-OF-ZELL

Starter

#14 : April 20, 2007, 06:11:56 AM

They committed as sophmores under the radar at a summer camp.  I can tell you for certain that the whole downturn at FSU  and the coaching woes at  FSU had a lot to do with it.  Even when Meyer had the Lakeland boys sewed up they really kept them with  attention.  FSU had no presence at all at Lakeland High...no one but  Haggins ever came around.....Meyer visited during practices, and there were coaches scouting all year long, I was at every game  on the sidelines...Bowden and the boys never got a sniff because they were lazy...there needs to be a change at FSU, Bobby has rested on his laurels, he is played out and needs to go, or it will only get worse.  FSU's recruiting class is HORRIBLE, flat out lame.  USF recruited better.

Page: 1 2 3 ... 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bad news for Urban « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools