Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bad news for Urban « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5

SON-OF-ZELL

Starter

« #15 : April 20, 2007, 06:13:32 AM »

Just had dinner the other night with  Steve Wilks, and the boys after we played flag football.  First hand knowledge.

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

« #16 : April 19, 2007, 10:20:38 PM »

They committed as sophmores under the radar at a summer camp.  I can tell you for certain that the whole downturn at FSU  and the coaching woes at  FSU had a lot to do with it.  Even when Meyer had the Lakeland boys sewed up they really kept them with  attention.  FSU had no presence at all at Lakeland High...no one but  Haggins ever came around.....Meyer visited during practices, and there were coaches scouting all year long, I was at every game  on the sidelines...Bowden and the boys never got a sniff because they were lazy...there needs to be a change at FSU, Bobby has rested on his laurels, he is played out and needs to go, or it will only get worse.  FSU's recruiting class is HORRIBLE, flat out lame.  USF recruited better.

Just going by the quote from the Pouncey's in the Fightin' Gators' Recruiting issue.  They said they were set to go FSU but Rainey kept saying check out UF, they did, and it was because of Urban and staff that they went there.  Rainey got them to attend a camp and they were sold. 

Runole

Hall of Famer
« #17 : April 20, 2007, 01:59:17 PM »

Truthfully last years recruiting season pointed out another odd "anomely" on the recruiting scene.  Recruits that had never visted FSU suddenly out of the clear blue committed to FSU with minimal if any contact??   Within a month or so suddenly the recruit would change his mind? and state"I am going to UF"!! LOL   Hmmm???

Cute!! But only unnoticed by the naive.

Not that I buy into these recruiting rankings because FSU certainly has had top ranked classes the last couple of years and it certainly didn't show up in more wins.

That being said FSU's recruiting this season seems to be going quite well considering their dreadful season. Of course verbal committments aren't LOI's but it does appear a much better class is coming in 2008.

It appears that these I guess are considered good prospects by the rating services all have recently verbally committed to FSU.

Nigel Bradham
Nigel Carr
Anthony Hill
C.J. Holton
Nick Moody
Vincent Williams

Mostly defensive players I believe.  Hopefully, they will live up to their recruiting rankings.

Runole

Hall of Famer
« #18 : April 20, 2007, 02:09:08 PM »

Oh and Ray???   You said Urban "cheated."    Huh?   Must be that guilty conscience you seem to ignore entirely too much??

My quote:

"This is a good choice by the NCAA since IMHO those that extensively use text messaging are clearly trying circumvent the rules of recruiting and permissible contacts  Truthfully, I believe that this is cheating.  It most certainly is intrusive"

Now where did I say Urban was cheating???   TOO FUNNY!!!

My quote was simply an acknowledgement of the NCAA considering the circumvention of contact rules by text messaging. I agree with the NCAA that they are right in considering banning this form of intrustive contact.  My personl opinion is that this is cheating. You disagree.  Is Urban a great text messager?? 

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

« #19 : April 20, 2007, 04:26:30 PM »

Oh and Ray??? You said Urban "cheated." Huh? Must be that guilty conscience you seem to ignore entirely too much??

My quote:

"This is a good choice by the NCAA since IMHO those that extensively use text messaging are clearly trying circumvent the rules of recruiting and permissible contacts Truthfully, I believe that this is cheating. It most certainly is intrusive"

Now where did I say Urban was cheating??? TOO FUNNY!!!

My quote was simply an acknowledgement of the NCAA considering the circumvention of contact rules by text messaging. I agree with the NCAA that they are right in considering banning this form of intrustive contact. My personl opinion is that this is cheating. You disagree. Is Urban a great text messager??

TOO FUNNY?

This thread is about Urban and it is widely known he is among those who uses text messages.

You say those hwo do so are circumventing rules and you believe this is cheating.

Doesn't get any more clear than that.

Your jealousy stinks buddy!

Good luck to FSU this year!!  LOL!  Maybe they can finish with less than 5 losses ?

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

« #20 : April 20, 2007, 08:44:20 AM »

Truthfully I don't see why it is so hard for you to believe that a recruit would switch from FSU to UF.  I mean the state of each program says it all.  It doesn't surprise me one bit that kids would rather go play for UF than FSU.  Bobby isn't  the draw any longer he once was.  Players seem to like Urban and the "family" atmosphere he brings.  

Anyway,

bottom line is there was no rule against texting previously, so no rules were broken and no "cheating" ocurred.  Not sure why it is so hard for your little FSU/USF brain to process that, but it is what it is.  Certainly the NCAA has revisited the use of texting and NOW decided to ban it.  It isn't  the first time the NCAA has changed a rule or added a rule.  But because they change something does not mean it was "cheating" to everyone who did it before.  Only a jealous homer of a rival team would derive that.  LOL!  
You should be worrying about how pathetic most units of FSU looked in that Garnett and Gold game and not whether coaches who texted players were cheating (which they weren't) by using a means of communication deemed perfectly legal by the NCAA up to that point.

The funny thing is every position coach basically said their unit stunk, and Bobby would say "I thought we looked pretty good on ........"  LOL!  Good luck!

Runole

Hall of Famer
« #21 : April 21, 2007, 09:17:28 PM »

You still don't get it...  Read a book on ethics

Oh and Ray if you didn't read my post why did you respond??     Hint:  Lying is not ethical!! 

"clear and (conise?)"concise?  I have been on topic all along with my opinions of text messaging and the NCAA's move to ban it.  Where have I mentioned FSU at all in this thread?  It would appear that you are just too sensitive and defensive in my opinion.  Just a thought but that points to a guilty conscience on your part and constantly trying  bring UF into the conversation.  Though the original topic was referring to Urban in its title,  my points had only to do with applauding the NCAA's decision and why I supported it.

Again my only comment from the beginning:  This is a good choice by the NCAA since IMHO those that extensively use text messaging are clearly trying circumvent the rules of recruiting and permissible contacts  Truthfully, I believe that this is cheating.  It most certainly is intrusive.

Again for clarity I have not stated Urban was cheating.  I have merely stated that discovering a loophole and a way of circumventing the rules of phone contact with a new technology available  indeed pushes the envelope on following the rules of contact by the NCAA.  While you apparently approve this way of circumventing rules of contact I don't. 

Learning to get around rules is  something you obviously feel good about from your remarks.   You will pardon me if I don't agree with that thought.

Again we choose to disagree.   Holier than thou??   Just because I value ethics and integrity and not trying to bend rules has no relevance to making such an outragous comment.  That you are disgusted that I have these values is a bit disturbing.  What do you value?

Are you  even capable of ever being civil in any discussion??

Snook

Hall of Famer

« #22 : April 20, 2007, 09:01:07 PM »

I didn't post this thread because I thought UF was cheating by texting.  It was legal until now and they'd be STUPID not to use it - like FSU.

But I agree with the NCAA's ruling - texting should not be allowed past a certain point  - just like phone calls, visits, etc.

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

« #23 : April 20, 2007, 02:38:43 PM »

At least Snook is an FSU fan with a BRAIN.

Of course it wasn't cheating (and I didn't think you said it was, Runole is the one throwing idiotic accusations around) and the coaches who did use texting as a means to recruit were smart.  Up to this point it was perfectly legal. Now that it has been changed then obviously any coach using it as a method to recruit would be cheating.   As you said, anyone who didn't use it previously was fairly dumb.

Runole

Hall of Famer
« #24 : April 20, 2007, 11:12:06 PM »

Never have stated that it was against NCAA rules at the present.

It is just my belief that it is a circumvention of rules previously laid down by the NCAA concerning contact with recruits.

Some schools do everything they can to gain an advantage like:

1. Drop your 3rd oldest rival to avoid a loss
2. or Don't play any games outside of the state of Florida for non conference games during the regular season
3. or make it mandatory that SEC transfers can't be used in games with a state rival
4. or Make sure the first 6 games of a series are always played at home
5. or  Have boosters regularly paying players to attend a certain school etc etc..

JMHO but I prefer those schools not looking so hard for loopholes.  I also understand many don't understand the ethics of such decisions.  We differ in opinion.

Hmmm?  So are you insinuating that I don't have a brain?   Sorry, but you are treading on thin ice with what seems to be a personal attack upon me.  I might be wrong but I believe such things are against the rules of these boards.

Hmm? So Urban is heavy into text messaging?  Figures!!

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

« #25 : April 20, 2007, 03:51:38 PM »

LOL. 

Personal attack?

Hardly.  But I guess like your interpretation of this being cheating, you are wrong about this being a personal attack as well.  I did not single any specific person out. But if you want to go there, you constantly attack me saying I have no ethics, morals, I'm a cheater, etc.  DO you want to go that route?  I made a generalization nothing personal and never directed that you didn't have a brain.  I actually said Snook did have a brain, a far cry from what you are accusing.  Once again a false accusation by you.  Quite the standard for you I guess.

Good try though.

Again, good luck to FSU and their quest to avoid another 7-6 season!  Hopefully this year it takes less than an EMERALD bowl win to stay over .500!

Runole

Hall of Famer
« #26 : April 21, 2007, 12:17:51 AM »

What's the difference between text messaging and a phone call / email?

Nothing IMHO.   However, there are limits on the number of phone calls that can be made to a recruit by a coach or staff member.  The NCAA just dragged their feet a bit before the abuse of the technology to circumvent contact rules. Hence the plans to ban it.

Runole

Hall of Famer
« #27 : April 21, 2007, 12:21:23 AM »

Good to know that you weren't referring to me.  Glad you cleared that up!!  So who were you referring to that didn't have a brain?

Hmm? Care to comment on this??? "Not sure why it is so hard for your little FSU/USF brain to process that, but it is what it is. "  Seems like a direct insult attacking me personally.  Seriously, I would hate to see you get banned for such behavior. I would suggest you be a little less personal in these discussions.

Oh and for the record.  I think trying to circumvent rules of contact is cheating.  Cheating is a lack of ethics.

Do you agree?

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

« #28 : April 21, 2007, 03:21:53 AM »

Good to know that you weren't referring to me. Glad you cleared that up!! So who were you referring to that didn't have a brain?

Hmm? Care to comment on this??? "Not sure why it is so hard for your little FSU/USF brain to process that, but it is what it is. " Seems like a direct insult attacking me personally. Seriously, I would hate to see you get banned for such behavior. I would suggest you be a little less personal in these discussions.

Oh and for the record. I think trying to circumvent rules of contact is cheating. Cheating is a lack of ethics.

Do you agree?

Everyone's brain is little relative to their head/body.  If I said you were dumb or had no brain, that might be different.  On the other hand, you saying I have no ethics, saying I have no morals, etc. IS a DIRECT personal attack. So again, if you want to go there we can.

I think playing within the rules is ok.  Now that there are rules preventing text messaging it would be cheating for one to do so.  Up to this point there wasn't, so it's not cheating.  WHy that is so hard for you to understand is beyond me.  I didn't make that comment towards you but maybe I should have with your inability to interpret what is and is not allowed.  JMO but in order to cheat there has to be a rule saying you can't do somehting.  In absence of such rule I don't see how anyone could say someone cheating.  Again, I am not saying you are dumb or have no brain, but I could understand why someone would judging by your accusations that have no merit.

Runole

Hall of Famer
« #29 : April 21, 2007, 04:36:38 PM »

Yeh Ray It is true that everyone's brain is smaller relative their body.  Heck, I read  an Alligator's brain is the size of a walnut.

Likewise, I believe playing by the rules is correct.  Point being is sometimes a new technology or a loophole allows you to bypass rules in place that govern such things as contact with recruits.  I call that circumventing rules and the very least questionable ethics, you disagree.

Just like demanding the first 6 games be played at home when a series begins is questionable ethics

Or setting up a schedule each year that never involves traveling out of state to play out of conference games is questionable ethics.

or dropping your third oldest rival from the annual schedule when they become  too tough to handle is questionable ethics and avoidance of the spirit of competition and sportsmanship.

Heck, at one time before the 85 rule was put into place there was a legendary coach who deliberately had rosters 8 to 10 deep to keep opponents from getting certain  players on the roster was again questionable ethics.  The NCAA outlawed that practice as well.

All the above are ways to unlevel the playing field to have a better chance at success again pushing the edge of ethics and integrity IMO

From your comments you obviously disagree.    I suggest you read a book on ethics and perhaps you will understand my point since either you don't understand ethical behavior or choose to ignore it. 

You keep making accusations about me stating you have no ethics or morals in this thread. I have stated nothing in this thread that remotely resembles that statement. Stating such is a  lie and again questionable ethics, and yes Ray you have made the personal attacks directly at me in this thread, and now deny this which of course is yet another lie.  If you can't discuss things without a personally attacking me perhaps you need to avoid  discussing such issues with me.

I merely have stated points on what I consider is pushing the envelope of unethical behavior.  Judging by your comments you seem to have a different concept of ethics. Hence, I make the suggestion that you read a book on ethics. Perhaps than you will understand my point.

Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bad news for Urban « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools