Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Congrats Josh Hamilton « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5

#30 : April 19, 2007, 09:07:20 PM

Yep putting a crack addict with knee problems on the 40 man would've been awesome...teams line up around the corner for those.

#31 : April 19, 2007, 09:10:21 PM

I bowdown to those kings of hindsight, none of ya were calling for him back in November.

joedav01

Hall of Famer

#32 : April 19, 2007, 09:14:32 PM

I bowdown to those kings of hindsight, none of ya were calling for him back in November.

I was.  I was pissed the minute they took him off the 40 man, because I knew he would have been taken in the Rule V draft.

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#33 : April 19, 2007, 09:14:43 PM

well, to be honest I wasn't aware he was left unprotected and went to the Reds.  During that time I was busy watching the Gators march to a NC in 2 different sports, watching the Bucs work their way to a top 5 pick, and the start of Hockey season.  The Rule V draft wasn't my top priority.  But as soon as I realized he was gone I thought it was a dumb move....based on talent alone he should have been kept over at least 5-6 guys.  My only regret is Atlanta didn't get him.

#34 : April 19, 2007, 09:16:02 PM

Certainly they were smart by drafting / trading for a guy who just had knee surgery and was hitting .250 in A ball.

Reds made a tool whore move and just got lucky (for now)

#35 : April 19, 2007, 09:18:54 PM

Also since when do I hate every ex-Ray? I dislike Huff and Hall greatly, otherwise I'm fine with just about every player, I'll call Baez overpaid / overrated, and that's because he is, but that's not hating.

I've chugged every move we've made? Right, because Sean Burroughs for Dewon Brazelton was a dream deal, same with Baez / Carter for Jackson / Tiffany. I absoloutely did backflips.

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#36 : April 19, 2007, 09:19:08 PM

Certainly they were smart by drafting / trading for a guy who just had knee surgery and was hitting .250 in A ball.

Reds made a tool whore move and just got lucky (for now)

Actually they made a low risk/high reward type move and it looks to be working out. 

The Rays had nothing to gain by keeping him off the 40 man and everything to lose.  What do you gain by keeping Hollins?  What do you gain by keeping the several pitchers who were later cut?  You know they suck.  Hamilton was a wild card, getting his life in order, and still immensely talented.  It was a dumb move no matter how you slice it.

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#37 : April 19, 2007, 09:20:00 PM

Isn't Baez like the best Rays RP ever?

Funny to call him overrated when he is the best RP your organization has had.

#38 : April 19, 2007, 09:23:11 PM

It made sense to leave him unprotected, if you get him by the draft, no harm, no foul he doesn't waste a 40 man spot while he's playing in A games.

At the end it was the right move for the Rays, and it's working out for Hamilton, but this slobberfest of the guy by certain people around here is so freaking old.

I don't hate Josh, nobody though he'd play in a big league game, it looks like pie in the Rays face, but I'm not sold he's legit.

If he goes on to be a multiple time all-star I won't cry, I wont' care. I don't feel bad when Bobby Abreu does something, I don't feel upset when Dmitri Young slugs a ___, I just don't regret things that deeply.

Does it look like a bad move now? Sure. But it's not all that bad in my eyes.

#39 : April 19, 2007, 09:24:50 PM

Roberto Hernandez? And in general baseball he is overrated IMO, it's not like the Rays have ever had a great RP.

dmxatf23

Second String

#40 : April 20, 2007, 05:38:32 AM

he went yard again tonight.

-chris

SeedOfChucky33

Hall of Famer

#41 : April 20, 2007, 05:44:47 AM

maybe you find a new way to bash a former player who has hurt no one but himself with his actions?

...he screwed over every rays fan as well.

When you talk about what the college football experience is all about, that's it. Auburn is the epitome.
--Bud Poliquin, Syracuse Post-Standard
[/b]

#42 : April 19, 2007, 09:42:19 PM

Did he snort the foul lines afterwards?

Yea that jokewas old the first 3 times you said it yesterday, maybe you find a new way to bash a former player who has hurt no one but himself with his actions?

Jeez, seriously, how can anyoen take you seriously when you have so much blind hate for former player sand blind love for current ones?
Yep didn't hurt his family or this organization by making the franchise / fans wait on him. I have absoloutely no right to dislike the player, none, ZIP for costing us a first overall pick.

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#43 : April 19, 2007, 09:42:30 PM

Roberto Hernandez? And in general baseball he is overrated IMO, it's not like the Rays have ever had a great RP.

Well, Roberto had an extra year but Baez was every bit as good if not better on average.

Roberto had 3 years saved 26, 43, and 32 games, ERA was 4.04, 3.07, 3.19 and WHIP 1.35, 1.38, 1.35.  Roberto went 8-16.
Baez had 2 years, saved 30  and 41 games, ERA was 3.57 and 2.86, and WHIP was 1.31 and 1.33.  Baez went 9-8.

Baez has been a fairly good RP over his career outside of last year.  Looking at their numbers I'd say as a D-Ray they were both pretty much even as Rays.

#44 : April 19, 2007, 09:43:35 PM

Well, Roberto had an extra year but Baez was every bit as good if not better on average.

Roberto had 3 years saved 26, 43, and 32 games, ERA was 4.04, 3.07, 3.19 and WHIP 1.35, 1.38, 1.35. Roberto went 8-16.
Baez had 2 years, saved 30 and 41 games, ERA was 3.57 and 2.86, and WHIP was 1.31 and 1.33. Baez went 9-8.

Baez has been a fairly good RP over his career outside of last year. Looking at their numbers I'd say as a D-Ray they were both pretty much even as Rays.
Point taken. You can make the case for either, I'll call it a tie and still say they're not top tier relievers.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Congrats Josh Hamilton « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools