Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Young Florida defenders should have stayed in school « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

PoorRichard

Starter

: April 19, 2007, 11:55:07 PM

Whoever wrote this article is an idiot. Quoting unnamed sources holds no weight and calling Reggie stupid is just plan racism. Why is Landry 'smarter?' B/c he made less plays then Reggie?? Had less big hits?? Less big plays?? Less picks?? Less blocked punts?? Less championship rings?? Or is it b/c he is the light skined cover boy.

Reggie is taking so many trips b/c safety is tha type of position that can go at any point. The conclusions he draws from Reggie meeting so many teams is absurd. Makes me think that quote was just made up....

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#1 : April 20, 2007, 05:23:40 AM

The Way We Hear It — draft edition

Young Florida defenders should have stayed in school

By Nolan Nawrocki
April 19, 2007

Every year, there are talented players who surprisingly slide out of the first round or see their stock slip considerably, either because of team needs or questions surrounding the player.

We identified some who we thought could slip in last week’s mock draft, including Dwayne Jarrett, Marshawn Lynch and Jarvis Moss.

The way we hear it, another player in line for a potential freefall is Florida FS Reggie Nelson.

“He’s a very talented player,” one evaluator said. “I think he’s made nearly 20 visits (to NFL teams) now. Rarely do you see a player take so many trips. It tells you a couple things. One, there are questions about his intelligence. Teams want to put him on the board and see if he understands it. Two, a lot of teams think they will have a chance to draft him and everyone might get at least one pass at him. The last player I remember who took so many visits was Shawntae Spencer, who did not go to the Combine.”

Today, Nelson reportedly is meeting with the Jets, who hold the 25th pick. Nelson, however, will struggle to handle a defensive system like the Jets that asks defenders to learn a new game plan every week, and he will not be drafted by a team that uses a complex scheme. Given that teams expect their free safety to make coverage calls and line up the defense, there is a good chance that Nelson will not only be the fourth safety drafted, behind LaRon Landry, Michael Griffin and Brandon Meriweather, but that he will fall to the second round.

Intelligence issues in large part pushed Ko Simpson to the fourth round a year ago. It did not stop him from starting all but one game as a rookie in the Bills’ relatively simple scheme. It should be noted that Brian Dawkins, still one of the top safeties in the game today, entered the league with some similar questions. Nelson will likely have to go to team such as the Eagles, Bears or Colts that does not ask him to do a lot but play the deep middle. He is naturally instinctive but if he is not brought along slowly and is asked to do too much, he could struggle, and as a result, his value is diminishing in the eyes of evaluators.

With Nelson and fellow Gator Moss both positioned to potentially slip in the draft, underclassmen should take note. Team success does not necessarily equate to individual success. Two other Florida juniors who declared early for the draft — LB Brandon Siler and CB Ryan Smith — also likely will not be drafted on the first day.

Said one team, "I would not draft Siler. He is stiff, stiff, stiff. It's almost embarassing how good he thinks he is and how far off from reality he is. I felt bad for him that he left school. He does not have any idea."

Although Siler worked out well at the Combine and has size, production and a vocal on-field presence, he has a bad body, plays too straight-legged and straight-linish and his inflated opinion of himself has turned off NFL coaches. Many scouts graded him as a late-round talent, as they also did with Florida CB Ryan Smith.

As a result, do not be surprised if Florida underclassmen are taught a lesson like USC juniors were a year ago. Of the five juniors who declared early for the draft, including Reggie Bush, Winston Justice, LenDale White, Darnell Bing and Fred Matua, only Bush fit into the first round. The lesson to be learned is that players most often would benefit from returning to school.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFLDraft/Draft+Extras/2007/wwhi041907.htm

krazybuc

Hall of Famer

#2 : April 20, 2007, 05:26:48 AM

i would LOVE to see reggie nelson picked up by us in the 2nd round. wow... i'd seriously turn the t.v. off b/c nothing else would matter to me. that is EXACTLY the safety we need.

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#3 : April 19, 2007, 09:31:37 PM

Smith HAD to leave, his stock would never have been higher.  He is not a physical freak but he is one of the more technically sound CB's you'll find.  He puts himself in position to make plays.  He isn't the biggest, faster, or toughest, but he is always in the right place at the right time.  In the right system he could be a good 3rd corner.  I'd take him here if he is around in the 5th no doubt.

Siler is a football player.  He'll be a steal if he makes it to the 2nd day.  I think he'll go round 3 though.

Reggie?  I don't need to say anything about Reggie. His play speaks for itself.  If he falls to round us in round 2 we'll have ourselves a major steal, and I don't think we'll waste time getting the card up there. 

Jarvis probably could have stayed I agree, but after that NC game he had to leave.  He is a bit of a tweaner but he could thrive in a good system with good coaching.  Some think he's bets off in a 3-4 on the outside, but I am not sure.  I think he would also be a good choice at 2A.  In our system I think he could be a productive pass rusher.  Maybe not stout vs. the run a la Simeon, but I think he could get to the QB.  He'll need to add some bulk probably, but I think after his dedication after dropping way down from illness his second year, he proved he is a hard worker and willing to do what it takes to succeed.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#4 : April 20, 2007, 05:37:33 AM

That's not the first time I've read he isn't the brightest bulb and would have to play in a simple defense, which ours is.

Fresh

Hall of Famer

#5 : April 20, 2007, 05:37:40 AM

Wow, great article. If Nelson is there we have to take him. Like the article said he fits our style of play not to complicated.Keeping everything in front of him shouldn't be too hard. Be satisfied with Tim Crowder at 64 or trade our 2nd and 3rd for an early 2nd to take the best DE avalible.
1) Calvin Johnson WR
2a) Reggie Nelson S
2b) Lamarr Woodley DE
3) Ryan McBean DT
walk home happy

Quote from: True Playa
I'm a playa from way back and playa's gotta play. I'm straight pimpin'. Southside OG's keep it real. Represent the third coast.

krazybuc

Hall of Famer

#6 : April 20, 2007, 05:48:51 AM

i'm not gonna get all amped and excited just yet, but johnson in the first and nelson in the second would be a ridiculous improvement to our team. two HUGE playmakers on each side.

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#7 : April 19, 2007, 10:00:33 PM

I don't think Reggie is dumb at all.  There is a difference between being football smart and book smart.  I'd call Reggie VERY football smart.  You don't ALWAYS end up in the right place being stupid.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#8 : April 20, 2007, 06:18:27 AM

There are articles like this every year but no one asks the question is another year going to make Reggie Nelson "smarter", as some feel he needs to be, is another year going to make Siler "less stiff", Jarrett "faster"? I doubt it. The only thing these kids are missing out on is playing at a high level in college and working on their degrees. They are what they are.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#9 : April 20, 2007, 06:20:08 AM

There are articles like this every year but no one asks the question is another year going to make Reggie Nelson "smarter", as some feel he needs to be, is another year going to make Siler "less stiff", Jarrett "faster"? I doubt it. The only thing these kids are missing out on is playing at a high level in college and working on their degrees. They are what they are.

good point!

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#10 : April 19, 2007, 10:23:01 PM

Well, yeah.  In fairness most of them had nothing to gain and everything to lose, football wise, by staying in school. 

Oh, and by the way, Smith already has his degree.  He had it before setting foot on the field for UF.  A smart kid.  If he is given a fair shot he can be a decent 3rd corner in the league.  He has the technique and smarts to do it.

krazybuc

Hall of Famer

#11 : April 20, 2007, 04:44:41 PM

Whoever wrote this article is an idiot. Quoting unnamed sources holds no weight and calling Reggie stupid is just plan racism. Why is Landry 'smarter?' B/c he made less plays then Reggie?? Had less big hits?? Less big plays?? Less picks?? Less blocked punts?? Less championship rings?? Or is it b/c he is the light skined cover boy.

wow...talk about streeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetttttttttttttttttttttching. guess you can blame skin color for anything huh?

T

Hall of Famer

#12 : April 20, 2007, 04:57:34 PM

Uh oh all the Gator homers on here are gonna be mad.

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#13 : April 20, 2007, 10:21:50 AM

Be mad about what?  It's an opnion and we all have them.  I think there may be some truth in some of this, and other parts are laughable.  Either way this article isn't  going to affect any of the players future so it's not a big deal really.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#14 : April 20, 2007, 06:38:46 PM

one of my draft magazines said they same thing about Nelson:  "Plays in a simplified scheme that allows him to focus.  Is not a quick study and may struggle on a team that implements vastly different game plans each week...."  But then I realized it is from the same source as this article as it is Pro Football Weekly 2007 Draft Guide. 

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Young Florida defenders should have stayed in school « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools