Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Is Charlie Manuel the WORST Manager in MLB? « previous next »
Page: 1

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

: April 21, 2007, 05:49:00 AM

I have always read that he sucks but I think his latest move may just take the cake. 

So the Phillies are off to a HORRENDOUS 4-10 start, seemingly nothign has gone right.  So what does Manuel do?  He takes his teams ACE starter, who was their opening day starter, was has been their best pitcher for the last 3-4 years, and MOVES HIM TO THE BULLPEN!

Now granted Meyers struggled out of the gate, but he had TWO bad games.

That would be like the Rays throwing Kazmir to the Pen for his slow start.  Toronto shoudl jsut throw Burnett there as well. Carlos Zambrano?  Get your butt to the pen, if Manuel was your manager anyway.

This move reeks of desperation and idiocy.  When you're struggling I don't think taking your #1 starter and moving him to the pen is the smartest move in the world.  I know the Pen was struggling, and I know Leiber is actually looking good tonight in Myers place.  But damn, move Adam Eaton, move even Freddy Garcia, don't move your ace pitcher to a SETUP role.  Heck, we aren't even talking the closer role here which would MAYBE be somewhat acceptable.   

I will be shocked if Manuel lasts through the All-star break at this rate.  He has a good team.  Maybe it's time to get a good coach to go with it.

This quote about Manuel sums it up:  "Hiring Charlie Manuel to manage a baseball team is not entirely unlike calling the Ringling Bros Circus and asking them to send a clown to your house to fix your leaky toilet. "

#1 : April 21, 2007, 05:55:10 AM

Probably.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#2 : April 21, 2007, 06:45:34 AM

Cholly is mos def out of his mind.

He has adjusted the lineup (batting order, pitching) for the worse, and his explanation as to why, he said, "It 'feels' right.".  I almost crapped my pants.  It is like he is "seeing angels in the outfield", except he is just on some serious LSD and it is all in his head.  Scary thing is, he actually feels he is doing what is best for the team.

The Brett move was pretty funny stuff.  He basically has made the mental demons even worse for Meyers, by demoting him to the pen...well I guess it is only funny if you like demented ideas.

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#3 : April 21, 2007, 06:57:12 AM

And then of course he puts Myers in tongiht in the 8th and he pitches a perfect inning, then instead of leaving Myers in he puts Gordon in for not 1 but 2 innings and he loses the game.  Myers is your multiple inning RP, not Gordon.  LOL.  This guy really blows!

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#4 : April 21, 2007, 06:59:52 AM

^^^Eggzactly Ray.

Trust me, I am not lying when I say Cholly is on LSD.  He manages so poorly from the gut it is laughable.  He almost has zero natural instinct for the game.

I almost wish that the reporter he challenged would have went with him into his office, so the guy could have knocked th crap out of him.

#5 : April 21, 2007, 07:02:31 AM

Umm weren't the Phils up 1-0? I'm not going to defend Manuel's Myers move, but you bring in your closer up 1-0 in the 9th.

da49erfan

Starter

#6 : April 21, 2007, 07:05:49 AM

i cant really think of a worst manager than manuel...

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#7 : April 21, 2007, 07:07:28 AM

Gordon has THREE blown saves.

I have always hated Gordon.  He is a MEATBALL PITCHER.  HE throws it straight and hard with no movement and right down the pipe.  He should be the setup guy.  Let someone else be the closer.  Like Meyers.  At least he can place (from time to time).

And yes the Phils were up 1-0.  And Meyers can pitch for nine inning if he has to.  SO why not just leave him in...?

Gordon is a goon.  Cholly is an idiot.

But the bottom line really is this:  If you can't hit with RISP, you are going to have close games like this.

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#8 : April 21, 2007, 07:08:21 AM

Umm weren't the Phils up 1-0? I'm not going to defend Manuel's Myers move, but you bring in your closer up 1-0 in the 9th.

MAYBE.

But even then Gordon hasn't really been a 2 inning RP in quite some time.  You remove him in the 10th.

If they are going to move Myers to the pen he needs to close.  He could actually be a VERy good closer.  It is obvious Gordon is slowing down.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#9 : April 21, 2007, 07:16:28 AM

Yeah.  And pulling Lieber after 76 pitches was great.

Sigh.

Cholly is a goon.  He isn't exactly making it easy for the team to adjust to his new fangled ideas...but once again.  Stick must meet wood with RISP.  Period.

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#10 : April 21, 2007, 07:25:18 AM

Yeah. And pulling Lieber after 76 pitches was great.

Sigh.

Cholly is a goon. He isn't exactly making it easy for the team to adjust to his new fangled ideas...but once again. Stick must meet wood with RISP. Period.

Well, Lieber had been in the pen all year so 76 was probably big for him.  And the relivers after that did a good job, it's Gordon in for 2 innings that was miserable.  Myers needs to be the closer, if he's not a starter.  He would actually be a closer who could go more than 1 inning. 

OpTiOnMaStA

Practice Squad

#11 : April 21, 2007, 08:09:46 AM

I didn't really see Myers as the ace, to be honest. I saw that more as Freddy Garcia but Garcia has been injured and just got his first start the other day. I don't mind Myers in the bullpen as a closer but you guys are spot on - he can't just be your run of the mill MRP.

Nothing beats not knowing how many outs there were a few days ago against the Mets though. This team is horrendous and they have talent to be a pretty decent ballclub. Philadlphia sports are just like this...it's like they don't care. Manuel sucks too, I agree. Bring Bowa back :).

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#12 : April 21, 2007, 10:27:54 AM

^^^ Garcia has bicep tendinitis, and he got shelled his first game in.  Meyers is a better pitcher, FWIW.

It is misallocation of talent.

76 pitches.  Lieber.  Great move...or am I hard to read?

Cholly is a numbskull.  Meatball Gordon is awful.  And the moves make no sense.

Manuel needs to lay off the liquor.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#13 : April 21, 2007, 10:34:03 AM

In other words...Lieber gets 76, but is a "starter".  Or is Brett a "closer"?  Or is Gordon a "mid relief guy"?

I dunno.  You tell me.

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#14 : April 21, 2007, 05:50:10 PM

I didn't really see Myers as the ace, to be honest. I saw that more as Freddy Garcia but Garcia has been injured and just got his first start the other day. I don't mind Myers in the bullpen as a closer but you guys are spot on - he can't just be your run of the mill MRP.

Nothing beats not knowing how many outs there were a few days ago against the Mets though. This team is horrendous and they have talent to be a pretty decent ballclub. Philadlphia sports are just like this...it's like they don't care. Manuel sucks too, I agree. Bring Bowa back :).

LOL.

Freddy Garcia?  He is their number 3 starter at best.

Myers is their ace, their opening day starter, and their best pitcher  since 2002.  Hamels is their number 2 guy and ace of the future.  Garcia was slated behind Myers even before injury. 
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Is Charlie Manuel the WORST Manager in MLB? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools