Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Reid Brignac « previous next »
Page: 1 2

: April 22, 2007, 01:45:31 AM

http://www.minorleagueball.com/story/2007/4/21/152942/093

So far, so good for Brignac in 2007: 13 games for Double-A Montgomery, hitting .304/.352/.500. Of particular note: 5 walks and just 2 strikeouts in 46 at-bats. He's also hitting .421 against lefthanded pitchers.

Sample size matters, of course: 13 games is not very meaningful. But his performance this season is certainly in keeping with what he did last year, and I particularly like the BB/K/AB ratio.

I spoke with Tampa Bay Director of Scouting R.J. Harrison on XM radio yesterday about Brignac. He loves his bat, of course, but he's quite optimistic about his defense as well and believes that Brignac will be able to remain at shortstop. He also gave a lot of praise to Brignac's makeup and intangibles; his work ethic is tremendous. Now, you'd expect Tampa Bay officials to say good things about a player's makeup, but everything I know about Harrison indicates that he pushes this even more than the average scouting director, and what he says about Brignac also dovetails with what other people say.

Take a guy with a bat like this and a terrific work ethic....if he can be even average defensively, you have yourself one hell of a player. . .maybe Chipper Jones?

As good as Brignac is, he doesn't get as much attention as he deserves on a national basis. In many organizations he would be the top prospect, but for the D-Rays he came into the season behind Delmon Young and probably Evan Longoria, although personally I prefer Brignac to Longoria.

Thank you Mr. Sickels, as I stated last year that Sickels' had previously compared Brignac to Chipper, though I could never find the piece, just showing I wasn't making that up.

MBF

Hall of Famer

#1 : April 22, 2007, 03:00:50 AM

LOL@Brignac being compared to Chipper...

#2 : April 22, 2007, 12:15:27 PM

Good article RJ. LOL at guy who doesn't know who Reid Brignac is, claiming he couldn't have the qualities of an injury prone career runner-up

joedav01

Hall of Famer

#3 : April 22, 2007, 05:51:05 PM

LOL @ Reid being compared to Chipper.......he will be much better than Chipper.

MBF

Hall of Famer

#4 : April 22, 2007, 06:09:31 PM

How did Rocco becoming the next DiMaggio work out for you?

#5 : April 22, 2007, 06:41:59 PM

The Rocc / DiMaggio comparison was supremely flawed from the get go, I've always said Rocc would be more comparable to Ellis Burks.

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#6 : April 23, 2007, 01:26:37 AM

That's just a silly comment right there.  You are saying some "prospect" is going to be better than a guy who was arguably the best player at his position over his career?  So your on record as saying he is going to be better than a 5 time All-Star, MVP, Only 3B in ML history to have 8 straight 100 RBI seasons, 3rd all time (behind Mantle and Murray) for HR by a switch hitter, the ONLY switch hitter in history with 300+ HR and a .300 career average, and a likely future HOF'er?  Chippers average season is 30 HR, 100 RBI, and .304/.402/.542.  If Reid comes anywhere near that I'd be shocked.

Let's be real here.

SeedOfChucky33

Hall of Famer

#7 : April 23, 2007, 02:11:41 AM

Chipper was MVP you jackasses

When you talk about what the college football experience is all about, that's it. Auburn is the epitome.
--Bud Poliquin, Syracuse Post-Standard
[/b]

#8 : April 23, 2007, 02:12:46 AM

That's plural. To make it clear, I never said he was going to be better than Chip, though I do feel he'll be a top five SS in the league when he arrives.

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#9 : April 23, 2007, 02:18:11 AM

That's plural. To make it clear, I never said he was going to be better than Chip, though I do feel he'll be a top five SS in the league when he arrives.

We know, JD did.

#10 : April 23, 2007, 02:19:38 AM

We know, JD did.
Well Ronde made a comment towards Chipper as well.

joedav01

Hall of Famer

#11 : April 23, 2007, 02:21:27 AM

We know, JD did.

I was joking of course.  I think Reid will be a terrific player, but no one knows for sure until he gets to the ML level.

#12 : April 23, 2007, 02:25:47 AM

Sickels line about preferring him over Longoria is interesting, I feel the same way, yet Tocco amongst others prefer Longoria.

SON-OF-ZELL

Starter

#13 : April 23, 2007, 03:34:26 AM

I just hope that he can be as devoted to his wife like Chipper, the guy is a class A guy straight  off the "all-character" team.

SeedOfChucky33

Hall of Famer

#14 : April 23, 2007, 03:43:26 AM

I just hope that he can be as devoted to his wife like Chipper, the guy is a class A guy straight  off the "all-character" team.

Like you'd turn down a hooters girl if you were in your 20's and on top of the world.

When you talk about what the college football experience is all about, that's it. Auburn is the epitome.
--Bud Poliquin, Syracuse Post-Standard
[/b]
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Reid Brignac « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools